Focal Clear headphones
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #7,952 of 12,550
Did any of you guys feel any significant difference with burn-in especially on the treble region? I'm only about 10 hours in.

I wouldn't call it sibilant but finding fatigue over long listening sessions.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #7,953 of 12,550
Did any of you guys feel any significant difference with burn-in especially on the treble region? I'm only about 10 hours in.

I wouldn't call it sibilant but finding fatigue over long listening sessions.
Your brain hasn't adjusted to it yet since dynamic drivers won't change properties unless stressed to extreme conditions :)

There is a 6kHz peak that might be fatiguing to your ears, depending on what type of songs you listen to. For modern recordings, that 6kHz can get really annoying to me at higher than my average listening volume (~60dB). Maybe that won't ring true if you listen to different genres that aren't mastered hot in the treble.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #7,954 of 12,550
Your brain hasn't adjusted to it yet since dynamic drivers won't change properties unless stressed to extreme conditions :)

There is a 6kHz peak that might be fatiguing to your ears, depending on what type of songs you listen to. For modern recordings, that 6kHz can get really annoying to me at higher than my average listening volume (~60dB). Maybe that won't ring true if you listen to different genres that aren't mastered hot in the treble.
Can also eq it down, eqing down is always supposed to be better than up anyway.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #7,956 of 12,550
For modern recordings, that 6kHz can get really annoying to me at higher than my average listening volume (~60dB).
Oof you are listening quietly. I typically listen at ~80dB. I find 60dB too quiet in order to properly hear the subbass unless you toy around with loudness compensation.

I can listen to my Clear indefinitely, no fatigue. Though my spine doesn't like the weight, so I usually lie down.
Then again I am used to a DT-880. :D

Can also eq it down, eqing down is always supposed to be better than up anyway.
Emphasize or deemphasize, it's rather irrelevant, if you know what you are doing and are avoiding clipping.
If you want to emphasize, you simply lower the volume of the entire signal before applying the EQ. Dirac Live does that for my Aria 906s room correction.

I use FabFilter ProQ³ occasionally and you can do some rather nice things. Never EQ my Clear though.
To me, coupled with the 35Ω output impedance of my Titanium HD, it sounds perfect.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #7,957 of 12,550
Hi all,

First post here, I've had my Clear Pro's for over a month now.

So, just for some background....I'm an extreme newbie to the full sized headphone game, even though I've always appreciated good sound from regular hi-fi speakers and top notch home theatre set-ups. I went from a fairly modest but amazing (for me) Philips Fidelio X2HR at £147 to a Focal Clear Professional roughly within a month.

Because of my extreme lack of experience with many high quality headphones, you must take anything I say with at least a small grain of salt.

My impressions mirror most of what many people say here. These headphones are very dynamic, punchy, fairly bright with an excellent bass.

Something that did shock me was the whole burn-in procedure. Now I know this can be quite a controversial topic but I can only speak of my experience.

It wasn't night and day but there was quite a big difference to the sound from day 1 in late August up until now, which mainly came from the bass. I honestly wasn't that thrilled with the bass initially, especially compared to my X2HR but over time......say around 70-100 hrs later....it got much MUCH better and a lot more articulate. Yes....I know brain burn-in exists but IMO, I'm almost certain that at least the bass alone dramatically improved from burning in my Clears with a mixture of pink noise and regular songs from my playlist. The treble was ever so slightly hot at first but that mellowed out quickly.

What shocked me the most was that even now with basically around 500+ hours playtime.....I'm STILL noticing improvements in the bass and mid-range. Granted I'm at the point where these are very small improvements but it's still very easy for me to spot because I often repeatedly play a lot of my favourite songs on every listening session as a reference as well as discovering new material.

I honestly thought that this headphone would settle down around the 150-200 hr mark but I am still noticing small improvements.

Anyway....I've rambled long enough and just thought I'd share my experiences

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #7,958 of 12,550
First post here, I've had my Clear Pro's for over a month now.
Welcome to Head-Fi, I see your wallet has already taken a beating.... :)
Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding burn-in with the Clear Pros.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #7,959 of 12,550
Welcome to Head-Fi, I see your wallet has already taken a beating.... :)
Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding burn-in with the Clear Pros.

THGM, thanks very much mate.

Indeed my wallet hates me currently :darthsmile:

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #7,960 of 12,550
Does anybody have any experience with the Clears on 70's integrated amps? I'm currently enjoying mine through a Yamaha CA600 and was curious if anybody else has had any synergy pairings to share

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #7,961 of 12,550
Hi, sorry if the question has already been asked but there are 531 pages...

The clear seems to be a real great headphone. But I wonder if it can be used in a bus or a train or a waiting room without disturb one's neighbor ?

Thanx

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #7,962 of 12,550
Hi, sorry if the question has already been asked but there are 531 pages...

The clear seems to be a real great headphone. But I wonder if it can be used in a bus or a train or a waiting room without disturb one's neighbor ?

Thanx

Not even close. Those headphones are wide open and leak a ton of sound. Anything above a very quiet listening level will be overheard, and they block very little from the outside world.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #7,963 of 12,550
Man reading these impressions of the Loxgie P20 + Clear combo makes me realize I should have picked one up! Instead I got a Lyr 1 (used) which is basically unusable with the Clears due to the hum they pick up, being so sensitive. Works great with HD600 and decent with the DT880s but I kind of wanted tube sound for a larger variety of headphones... well the P20 is cheap so who knows I may still pick one up..

It's stupid good for that price, and with the balanced its WAY better than my first gen Lyr which I do not particularly like with these headphones at all.

Did you notice hum as well? Or just otherwise bad synergy?

Edit: a couple words & also I think I was reading old posts. But point still stands, there are some happy campers with a $100 balanced tube amp; sounds definitely worth checking out..!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #7,964 of 12,550
My Clears are now making bass rattling sounds as my first pair. It was fine for the first month but now any music with any bass above +15 will make a rattling noise. Anyone with similar problems?

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #7,965 of 12,550
My Clears are now making bass rattling sounds as my first pair. It was fine for the first month but now any music with any bass above +15 will make a rattling noise. Anyone with similar problems?

What does bass above +15 mean? Are you eqing +15db?

Users who are viewing this thread

• JML
Back