Focal Clear headphones
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #7,936 of 12,550
Seems like others' pads are lasting significantly longer than average headphone pads. The foam quality is especially important since it affects the sound and comfort when it flattens. But even hearing that the microfiber is holding up is very encouraging.

Maybe Focal really did buy $100+ foam to put in the pads :)

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #7,937 of 12,550
If I use it daily, how long the pads will survive?

Because I'm interested to buy a used clear/clear pro. But still can't find one until now.
There are plenty that come up for sale used, I see them almost weekly here. But it depends where you look. I snagged mine way under retail and they were new open box, and this is in Canada; let alone the U.S. with a much bigger population/customer base.

Where are you located?

Clear Pros are much more rare unfortunately... I think the red show less wear, and they even come with an extra set of pads and yet are cheaper than regular Clears which is insane. I believe the reason is that they come with different cables - but no one misses the regular Clear cables anyway. Also as a bonus black pads would look even better on them imo.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #7,938 of 12,550
There are plenty that come up for sale used, I see them almost weekly here. But it depends where you look. I snagged mine way under retail and they were new open box, and this is in Canada; let alone the U.S. with a much bigger population/customer base.

Where are you located?

Clear Pros are much more rare unfortunately... I think the red show less wear, and they even come with an extra set of pads and yet are cheaper than regular Clears which is insane. I believe the reason is that they come with different cables - but no one misses the regular Clear cables anyway. Also as a bonus black pads would look even better on them imo.
I'm in Indonesia.
Yeah , I actually more interested in the pro version , since my favorite color is red and black :)

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #7,939 of 12,550
I'm in Indonesia.
Yeah , I actually more interested in the pro version , since my favorite color is red and black :)
Ah gotcha, that may be harder to come across used sets but not impossible. Still if you want to not take any chances and buy new, find a dealer and try to bargain on the price. Contact focal for distributors. And yeah the Clear Pros are the best version imo :L3000:

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #7,940 of 12,550
Well, I like the standard Clear because of the extra balanced cable, however, if taken into account, that the extra pads one gets with the Pros are $200+ in value, it really makes it a better deal, especially if one doesn't need em balanced and, or, longer length cables. That and the more sporty look of the black and red styling.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #7,941 of 12,550
Ah gotcha, that may be harder to come across used sets but not impossible. Still if you want to not take any chances and buy new, find a dealer and try to bargain on the price. Contact focal for distributors. And yeah the Clear Pros are the best version imo :L3000:
Yeah , unfortunately, the local focal distributor didn't sell the clear. (The only focal headphone that they don't sell). So,. It's harder for me to get a used clear :frowning2: while buying a brand new clear is out of my budget. :)

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #7,942 of 12,550
Seems like others' pads are lasting significantly longer than average headphone pads. The foam quality is especially important since it affects the sound and comfort when it flattens. But even hearing that the microfiber is holding up is very encouraging.

Maybe Focal really did buy $100+ foam to put in the pads :)
Yup, the pads of my DT-880 are flat after the second wash. Oh well not so bad, a bit more bass doesn't hurt that can one bit. :D

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #7,943 of 12,550
Yeah , unfortunately, the local focal distributor didn't sell the clear. (The only focal headphone that they don't sell). So,. It's harder for me to get a used clear :frowning2: while buying a brand new clear is out of my budget. :)
Oh man, that's unfortunate! But if it's any consolation any of the Focals should give you a good taste of their sound.. Alternatively I wonder if you could bring in an Elex?

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #7,944 of 12,550
Yup, the pads of my DT-880 are flat after the second wash. Oh well not so bad, a bit more bass doesn't hurt that can one bit. :D
Wow thanks for the heads up on washing those pads... I thought maybe washing could breathe some new life into my old ones. I haven't tried with any of my pads yet; and maybe I won't bother now. I actually just got replacements for all my cans that needed them and the difference is night and day.

My DT880's have been flat for the longest time and I couldn't stand to use them - they would press on my ears painfully and sounded muffled and dead to me. But my girlfriend rather enjoyed them, and now says she preffered the old pads to the new ones! She's no audiophile by any stretch though...

But I find them so much more balanced and better sounding now, its been harder to default to the HD600s for casual listening like I always used to. I got new pads for those as well and they didn't seem too flat, but compared to the new ones i guess they were. There really is a huge difference going fresh with those too. For one thing I noticed the inside foam disks inside were actually ripped where they get pressed on by the pads; so one way or another it was good to replace them before they got much worse. They now sound a bit brighter and tighter too, so that's a bonus to me.

As for the Clears I grabbed some Dekoni Elite Velours as pictured in some of my last posts, and they don't seem to affect the sound in any drastic way, and it keeps the stock ones nice for now. Yet I can easily pad roll them back and forth whenever I like thanks to their well done attachment system. It still freaks me out to pop them off though. Nothing like yanking on your $1k+ cans to make you clench up a bit..!

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #7,945 of 12,550
As for the Clears I grabbed some Dekoni Elite Velours as pictured in some of my last posts, and they don't seem to affect the sound in any drastic way.

That was not my experience at all. I liked the added bass at first, but then I found that the bass was excessive and muddy; also, the mid-highs were muffled. I found the Dekoni's unpleasant and aggravating to listen to. I returned them for a full refund.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #7,946 of 12,550
That was not my experience at all. I liked the added bass at first, but then I found that the bass was excessive and muddy; also, the mid-highs were muffled. I found the Dekoni's unpleasant and aggravating to listen to. I returned them for a full refund.
Yeah I've heard mixed opinions on them, but of course everyone has their preferences. I haven't done a ton of critical listening yet but so far they don't seem to do anything terribly wrong for me, and at much less than half the price of stock pads I can live with them. Plus I find the Clears a tad aggressive so if they actually tame them a bit I won't mind. I haven't noticed much added bass so far myself.

Plus, and probably most importantly - I was getting paranoid about getting the pads and headband worn and dirty; so much that I was not using them unless I'd washed my hair recently, not sweated or used products, etc - so I'd rather worry less and use them more anyway. But who knows, I may go back to stock if or when I stop worrying so much about resale value and maintenance costs...

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #7,947 of 12,550
My DT880's have been flat for the longest time and I couldn't stand to use them - they would press on my ears painfully and sounded muffled and dead to me. But my girlfriend rather enjoyed them, and now says she preffered the old pads to the new ones! She's no audiophile by any stretch though...

Yet I can easily pad roll them back and forth whenever I like thanks to their well done attachment system. It still freaks me out to pop them off though. Nothing like yanking on your $1k+ cans to make you clench up a bit..!
DT-880 pads are 20 bucks a pair, so easy to replace. My 880 got a broken cable yesterday :frowning2: I ordered soldering equipment and a replacement cable from Beyerdynamic. You gotta love them for making virtually any part available! So it shall be resurrected soon.

Flat pads -> more bass & gentler highs. I don't mind it, so I wash them until they beak.

Definitely second that "AAARGH!" moment when pulling off the Clears pads for the first time. :D

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #7,948 of 12,550
DT-880 pads are 20 bucks a pair, so easy to replace.
Unfortunately not so cheap in Canada! Searched high and low, only a couple of decent sites carry them for a half-reasonable price - and still they are pushing $50 (CAD) plus a nice ~$15 shipping charge to top it off...

On Amazon they are not sold by Beyer at all, just marketplace sellers at some ridiculous prices near $100. Even directly from beyer "North America" (Should just be called Beyer America because Canada is obviously an afterthought) is also hilariously bad, with the Earpads coming in at $34USD (45CAD) + $43USD (58CAD) shipping! Only one method of shipping available and it's more than the pads. Yet the pads fit in an envelope :rolling_eyes:

No idea why, but it can be brutal here..

My 880 got a broken cable yesterday :frowning2: I ordered soldering equipment and a replacement cable from Beyerdynamic. You gotta love them for making virtually any part available! So it shall be resurrected soon.
Ah no kidding! Thats too bad... but it is a good opportunity for a little diy repair, you're right on being able to buy parts for say Beyer and Senns being fairly easy compared to some (looking at you here, Focal..!) but it does very much depend on where you are...

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #7,949 of 12,550
Yikes, prices sure are harsh in Canada. :X

I don't even know where to order the Clear Pro's pads in Germany.
I would probably contact Thomann (the seller I got them from) to see if they can source replacement pads.

That's still a few years away though, given that the pro comes with an extra pair, that's still sleeping in the original packaging.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #7,950 of 12,550
I got the LCD X and compared it against my clears last night. LCD X's are slightly warmer than the clear. Clear sounds slightly more lively, detailed and dynamic. I find the clears to have a clearer, smoother and softer sound that makes them sound somewhat euphonic. LCD X's can sound soft too, but it is not as smooth and soft as the clears. LCD X has a bigger impact in the bass. Planar bass is awesome. Weighty, detailed and extended. Clear has similar quality, but less in impact and weight. The mids sound neutral on both sets with wonderful timbre. The treble sounds slightly more detailed and airy on the clear. I prefer the clear because it sounds more musical to my ears, but the LCD X is no slouch either.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back