Focal Clear headphones
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #6,571 of 12,550
Spent about 2 hours with them when I got them this afternoon. Took a break and let them play until about an hour ago.

It's so hard to describe this can. It's like nothing I've heard before. The first thing that came to mind was it's like sitting in a flight simulator. It's almost as if the music is an entity and I'm sitting directly in the middle of it completely engulfed. They're so holographic. The imaging is mind boggling!

Back to the music lol
I think headphones that are Holographic are those that have harder attack and therfore metallic sounds sounds more realistic, but also, decay characteristics of sounds factor in alot for accuracy or realism. Clear sounfs bright and it's due to harder attack. It will have more of an attack compared to something like Sennheiser HD6 series. This harder attack results in more of a holography to sounds due to the dynamic range between the attack peak and black level of the sound output.

I usually notice this holographic characteristic with Hifiman planars, but I believe Clear shares this characteristic perhaps due to the driver materials.

Recording quality matters a lot as well, as we can have false idea of sound accuracy due to the lower quality recording. Jazz recording are mostly better done.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #6,572 of 12,550
I do agree with the attack. Me personally don't consider them bright. Especially when comparing them to cans like HD700,800 and HE560, which seemed a lot brighter and peaky.. I always got fatigued with those cans.
I've read many posts regarding soundstage with the Clears. I don't find it narrow. I think they're on par with the HD700 but with a better sense of depth with way more meat on the bone.

Still adjusting to the sound. I'm extremely happy with everything so far. I thanked my sister repeatedly for getting these for me for Christmas. I'd probably never experience these if it wasn't for her lol.

I think headphones that are Holographic are those that have harder attack and therfore metallic sounds sounds more realistic, but also, decay characteristics of sounds factor in alot for accuracy or realism. Clear sounfs bright and it's due to harder attack. It will have more of an attack compared to something like Sennheiser HD6 series. This harder attack results in more of a holography to sounds due to the dynamic range between the attack peak and black level of the sound output.

I usually notice this holographic characteristic with Hifiman planars, but I believe Clear shares this characteristic perhaps due to the driver materials.

Recording quality matters a lot as well, as we can have false idea of sound accuracy due to the lower quality recording. Jazz recording are mostly better done.

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #6,573 of 12,550
I do agree with the attack. Me personally don't consider them bright. Especially when comparing them to cans like HD700,800 and HE560, which seemed a lot brighter and peaky.. I always got fatigued with those cans.
I've read many posts regarding soundstage with the Clears. I don't find it narrow. I think they're on par with the HD700 but with a better sense of depth with way more meat on the bone.

Still adjusting to the sound. I'm extremely happy with everything so far. I thanked my sister repeatedly for getting these for me for Christmas. I'd probably never experience these if it wasn't for her lol.
Well, I do not mean bright in terms of fitiguing, but bright relative to HD6 series, etc.. I mean tonally bright, not harsh. I guess vivid.

I guess we mainly have negative conotations to bright, doesn't always mean bad.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #6,574 of 12,550
I've been listening to my Clear Pros off and on all morning as they go through the burn-in process. This headphone is awesome. I don't know why I waited so long to jump on board. I'm actually preferring their sound to the Utopia's I had. They definitely seem to handle bass a lot better than the Utopia's. On heavy bass tracks with the Utopia's I could get them to bottom out and pop. It scared the crap out me as I thought I destroyed the drivers. The Clears bass sounds more weighty and the headphone in general sounds more balanced.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #6,576 of 12,550
WOW! These things have opened up big time! I've read about burn in with these but man oh man! I thought they were ridiculously good out of the box.

I'm not gonna lie. I came into this whole expectation thing biased towards them being not that big of an upgrade as far as price to performance ratio goes. They're worth every single penny MSRP! Lol

I'm not quite ready to dabble with my tube hoard just yet to tweak things. Honestly I don't hear anything tweak worthy atm.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #6,578 of 12,550
WOW! These things have opened up big time! I've read about burn in with these but man oh man! I thought they were ridiculously good out of the box.

I'm not gonna lie. I came into this whole expectation thing biased towards them being not that big of an upgrade as far as price to performance ratio goes. They're worth every single penny MSRP! Lol

I'm not quite ready to dabble with my tube hoard just yet to tweak things. Honestly I don't hear anything tweak worthy atm.

Listening to a new album with Clear is always a thrilling experience, there’s always the wow factor, its all about clarity, neutrality, dynamics, timbre, nuances
My best spent money in audio gear

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #6,579 of 12,550
To all new users of Clear, change them a cable!
Stock are pretty garbage, you really gain more if u change them cable.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #6,582 of 12,550
I'm finding the stock cable to be okay. There is maybe some thinness in the midrange that I'm hearing in the early burn-in phase. I didn't hear in until I tried them with some hip-hop music. I would like a little more body to the midrange to give them a fuller sound. Hopefully, once the drivers settle that will come to be. But the clarity and dynamics is there in bunches.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #6,583 of 12,550
How many hours are you in?
I'm finding the stock cable to be okay. There is maybe some thinness in the midrange that I'm hearing in the early burn-in phase. I didn't hear in until I tried them with some hip-hop music. I would like a little more body to the midrange to give them a fuller sound. Hopefully, once the drivers settle that will come to be. But the clarity and dynamics is there in bunches.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #6,584 of 12,550
Listening to a new album with Clear is always a thrilling experience, there’s always the wow factor, its all about clarity, neutrality, dynamics, timbre, nuances
My best spent money in audio gear

I think you'll find this is the case with old favorites too. :)

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #6,585 of 12,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back