Focal Clear headphones
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #6,136 of 12,546
SO, I just received the Benchmark DAC3 DX and their HPA-4 headphone amp, all hooked up with Mogami 3173 XLR. All I can say is wow. It is a revelation. The most striking difference is the HUGE increase in soundstage. I previously had a DAC2 and the Clear headphones were being driven off the internal amp, which was pretty good. This combo now is mind-blowing. Every single aspect is improved and the difference is not subtle. I highly recommend this combo, if you have the funds. This is total end-game stuff. I usually buy something great once, than buy a few cheaper items 5 times.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #6,137 of 12,546
SO, I just received the Benchmark DAC3 DX and their HPA-4 headphone amp, all hooked up with Mogami 3173 XLR. All I can say is wow. It is a revelation. The most striking difference is the HUGE increase in soundstage. I previously had a DAC2 and the Clear headphones were being driven off the internal amp, which was pretty good. This combo now is mind-blowing. Every single aspect is improved and the difference is not subtle. I highly recommend this combo, if you have the funds. This is total end-game stuff. I usually buy something great once, than buy a few cheaper items 5 times.

I definitely agree with you! Such a phenomenal pairing. So much control, detail, and separation, it's breath-taking. I've also been shocked with the massive improvement pairing the ZMF Auteur with that stack, but that's for a different thread.

20190823_201425.jpg

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #6,138 of 12,546
I pair my Clears with the Benchmark DAC3 HGC and am very happy with the results.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #6,139 of 12,546
hey guys,

I'm an Elear owner and unfortunately lost my home (condo) in a fire recently. My home is mostly a write off due to water damage but a couple of my headphones survived. Unfortunately my main headphone, the Elear, did not.

On top of this I've been having a pretty bad run of luck in general...so I've decided I deserve something. I'm planning to grab a Focal Clear in the near future, I'm suffering lately without music therapy.

I've given these headphones an audition already so I'm aware of how good they are. It was with equipment that isn't in my ballpark right now though.

I'll be pairing with a Modi 3 multibit and an Asgard 2 for now - is the Clear typically difficult to drive?

I'm also concerned about discoloration of the headband and pads - is this really common with the Clear?

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #6,140 of 12,546
hey guys,

I'm an Elear owner and unfortunately lost my home (condo) in a fire recently. My home is mostly a write off due to water damage but a couple of my headphones survived. Unfortunately my main headphone, the Elear, did not.

On top of this I've been having a pretty bad run of luck in general...so I've decided I deserve something. I'm planning to grab a Focal Clear in the near future, I'm suffering lately without music therapy.

I've given these headphones an audition already so I'm aware of how good they are. It was with equipment that isn't in my ballpark right now though.

I'll be pairing with a Modi 3 multibit and an Asgard 2 for now - is the Clear typically difficult to drive?

I'm also concerned about discoloration of the headband and pads - is this really common with the Clear?
Unfortunately coloration of the headbands and pads is quite common.
I cut a strip of cloth, about 2x20 inch out of a black t-shirt and wrapped it around the headband and once the pads become too dirty, I put them in my washing machine, no-spin wool cycle, luke warm water, special detergent for wool and place them on on a towel to dry. It works pretty well.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #6,141 of 12,546
hey guys,

I'm sorry friend, that's a terrible thing to go through - best wishes for your recovery from the fire and I hope you have better times ahead.

I primarily use my Clear with an iFi Micro BL, but its a headphone that's easy to drive and frankly it sounds pretty good straight out of my iPad. You should be more than fine with your setup, and can upgrade in the future if you want.

I've been wary off the discoloration problem, though I haven't experienced it yet (my set isn't very old). Not too worried about the pads since they're removable and can be washed - worst case, they can always be replaced. For the headband, I use this cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TWZC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Satisfied with it, seems to be doing the job for now. Make sure you buy the large size if you to buy it. Take care and all the best :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #6,142 of 12,546
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TWZC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Satisfied with it, seems to be doing the job for now. Make sure you buy the large size if you to buy it. Take care and all the best :)
I have seen these headband covers, but they look like socks, a green, liberal, vegan would wear in the wintertime.
That's why I resorted to cutting a strip of cloth from an old t-shirt and aside from being free, it looks far better than these knitted headphone socks.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #6,143 of 12,546
I have seen these headband covers, but they look like socks, a green, liberal, vegan would wear in the wintertime.
That's why I resorted to cutting a strip of cloth from an old t-shirt and aside from being free, it looks far better than these knitted headphone socks.

Yes, but a piece of cloth from a t-shirt is very thin and suet is easily absorbed and passes to the headband. It will undoubtedly prolong its life but the knitted headband will be more efficient
Picking the idea I'll ask my wife to make of those :L3000: ... I'll post a picture later

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #6,144 of 12,546
I'm sorry friend, that's a terrible thing to go through - best wishes for your recovery from the fire and I hope you have better times ahead.

I primarily use my Clear with an iFi Micro BL, but its a headphone that's easy to drive and frankly it sounds pretty good straight out of my iPad. You should be more than fine with your setup, and can upgrade in the future if you want.

I've been wary off the discoloration problem, though I haven't experienced it yet (my set isn't very old). Not too worried about the pads since they're removable and can be washed - worst case, they can always be replaced. For the headband, I use this cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TWZC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Satisfied with it, seems to be doing the job for now. Make sure you buy the large size if you to buy it. Take care and all the best :)

Thanks for the words, it's been a tough couple of weeks and there's some more tough days ahead.

Thanks for the recommendation on the headband/knitted protective sock thingy, it's inexpensive so I'll grab one right away :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,145 of 12,546
hey guys,

My sympathy and thoughts are with you. Hope you get back on your feet soon enough. The Clears would be a great way to reward yourself. Don't worry much about is microfiber(?), there are workarounds.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #6,146 of 12,546
I finally got my Clears today, god they're amazing in every way. I think I'll write some lengthier piece about my experience during the weekend.

I'm not sure if I reached first stage placebo but on my Marantz HD-DAC1 on low gain the bass is a bit weak, while on medium gain it sounds just perfect. Wonder if anyone else observed this kind of behavior.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #6,147 of 12,546
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #6,148 of 12,546
I finally got my Clears today, god they're amazing in every way. I think I'll write some lengthier piece about my experience during the weekend.

I'm not sure if I reached first stage placebo but on my Marantz HD-DAC1 on low gain the bass is a bit weak, while on medium gain it sounds just perfect. Wonder if anyone else observed this kind of behavior.
Congrats! The short delay must be tough. :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #6,149 of 12,546
Hey guys,

First post here, so sorry if I asking something that has already been answered (I'm still trying to understand how to search the answers to questions...)

I have a pair of Clears and really love them, but I've been noticing that the highs on them are just a little too fatiguing for me at times for the kinds of music I listened to. Has anyone tried pad rolling with pads from Focal's other offerings to see if there's a way to take down the treble a notch? I saw a thread on headphones.com that did some measurements to this effect, but I'm not really positive on how to interpret the plots yet (I'm also somewhat new to the headphones hustle...).

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822/26

I think it's saying that I should try out the Elear pads? There's also the Elegia pads, but maybe would warm up the sound too much? This is, of course, all assuming I want to fork over the outrageous prices that Focal is charging for them...

Anyway, any assistance for this n00b would be helpful!

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #6,150 of 12,546
Hey guys,

First post here, so sorry if I asking something that has already been answered (I'm still trying to understand how to search the answers to questions...)

I have a pair of Clears and really love them, but I've been noticing that the highs on them are just a little too fatiguing for me at times for the kinds of music I listened to. Has anyone tried pad rolling with pads from Focal's other offerings to see if there's a way to take down the treble a notch? I saw a thread on headphones.com that did some measurements to this effect, but I'm not really positive on how to interpret the plots yet (I'm also somewhat new to the headphones hustle...).

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822/26

I think it's saying that I should try out the Elear pads? There's also the Elegia pads, but maybe would warm up the sound too much? This is, of course, all assuming I want to fork over the outrageous prices that Focal is charging for them...

Anyway, any assistance for this n00b would be helpful!

Hi, congratulations, that's a fantastic headphone! I understand your feelings on highs, it depends on the kind of music as you said. You could search reviews on other pads like Dekoni and check if the impact in sound is the desired. But IMHO you will get a better effect and preserve Clear original sound signature if you try a different dac/amp, not only controlling the very analytical highs (I would say upper mids to my hearing) but maximizing the potential of Clears. Just look 2 or 3 pages back and you'll find some good (not wallet friendly) examples...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back