Focal Clear headphones
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #5,731 of 12,550
This. Clear and HEKv2 are far enough apart that it's comparing pineapples and asparagus. JMHO of course.

Definitely. For me, my collection should have Hifiman, Focal and Audeze. They each tend to have their own sound that doesn't overlap very much.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,732 of 12,550
Definitely. For me, my collection should have Hifiman, Focal and Audeze. They each tend to have their own sound that doesn't overlap very much.

I had the same thought. Right now I'm thinking about eventually collecting the LCD-2 closed back and the Focal Clear to go with my HEX V1. I still need to hear the LCD but from what I've read it's probably the closed back I'm looking for as a contrast/complement.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5,733 of 12,550
I had the same thought. Right now I'm thinking about eventually collecting the LCD-2 closed back and the Focal Clear to go with my HEX V1. I still need to hear the LCD but from what I've read it's probably the closed back I'm looking for as a contrast/complement.

If you don't need a closed can, I would skip the lcd2 closed.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #5,734 of 12,550
Sorry, gotta disagree with you, I went to Can Jam heard most HP's there and even then I have not heard an HP yet that leaves the LCD X in the dust, for what it does well. Even TOTL headphones from Audeze or other companies. I can understand if you prefer other cans, but to say the LCD X is a slacker in resolution nah. If you listen for things like true timbre, clarity and reverb trails you will see the LCD X stands toe to toe with the best. If I found an HP that would truly blow away the LCD X, I would own it!!!

I love the LCD X for EMD, anything with strong bass. But I do think it's a real niche headphone. Personally I think it is very veiled and not very resolving. Listening to classical music or acoustic guitars with the X is not a particularly pleasant experience. Listening to dance tracks however is fantastic.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,736 of 12,550
... first replaced the AFC with the Elegia, replaced that with the Denon 9200, replaced that with both the LCD 2C Closed and the MrSpeakers Massdrop CX.

So, why all of this then? Just the negatives that led me to sell them (but all of these are great heaphones):

ACF: Weak bass and sibilance around 8k

Elegia: Bass emphasizes mid bass as opposed to sub bass. Mids a bit metallic and forward.

Denon 9200. Fantastic, but slightly V shaped. Dealbreaker was the brightness á la HD800.

Now I own the CX. Remedies the weaker bass of the AFC and does not have the treble peak. Slightly warmer than AFC or EFC. Love it for its neutrality and for acoustic music, classic and rock.

Also own the LCD 2 Closed Back. More V shaped, more "fun". Huge, deep and dry bass. Maybe the largest soundstage I have heard in a closed back. Not as resolving and "reference" as the CX, but use it for all kinds of electronic music.

I have owned or tested al lot of closed backs. The current 2 cans I have, I am pretty happy with. Of the top end closed backs, I have not yet listened to the Eikon and the Stellia. Not sure if I want to though... not good for my wallet.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #5,737 of 12,550
1) Have you had any experience with custom cables that fit well and sit secure and do NOT cost an arm and a leg? That spiral cable isn't really my cup of tea and the other one is rather short.

By "spiral cable," do you mean the regular cable that comes with the headphones? It does tend to kink up at first, but after the cable was left at its full length for a few days while the headphones were on a tall shelf, the cable stayed straight.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #5,738 of 12,550
By "spiral cable," do you mean the regular cable that comes with the headphones? It does tend to kink up at first, but after the cable was left at its full length for a few days while the headphones were on a tall shelf, the cable stayed straight.
I mean the left one:
ovH889x.jpg

I don't think there is a way to "straighten it out" w/o breaking it. For sitting close to the powering equipment it is cool but once you move away it tends to exert force on the connections and I don't like that.
In case of the Atom Amp, it would probably lift the box up and drag it across the room. :D

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #5,739 of 12,550
^^The spiral cable you show is not one of the three cables that came with my Focal Clear. It comes with the Clear Professional. Now I see what you mean.

The three cables that come with the non-professional Clear are all covered by some sort of braided metal, not rubber or plastic.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,740 of 12,550
^^The spiral cable you show is not one of the three cables that came with my Focal Clear. It comes with the Clear Professional. Now I see what you mean.

The three cables that come with the non-professional Clear are all covered by some sort of braided metal, not rubber or plastic.
He stated in his original comment that he had purchased a Clear Professional.

Now, I own the regular Clear and still decided to buy an aftermarket cable for it. Even though the Clear cables are a huge step up from the Elear/Utopia cable, it’s still a bit too thick and stiff for my liking, slightly too short (the long one is too long for my use) and the Y-split is annoyingly far up on the cable.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,742 of 12,550
He stated in his original comment that he had purchased a Clear Professional.

Now, I own the regular Clear and still decided to buy an aftermarket cable for it. Even though the Clear cables are a huge step up from the Elear/Utopia cable, it’s still a bit too thick and stiff for my liking, slightly too short (the long one is too long for my use) and the Y-split is annoyingly far up on the cable.

I agree. It seems like a high quality cable, but it is annoying to use and absolutely obnoxious to store. Which cable did you end up purchasing? I've been looking at an Oidio cable myself.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #5,744 of 12,550
I decided to upgrade to one of Trevor's from Norne Audio cables'. He's the only cabler maker that has maroon/red and black herringbone pattern (like the newest Focal stock cables) in a very soft high-quality sleeve. Call me crazy, but I value craftsmanship over claiming to hear grass grown from a special cryo coated cable from the Greek gods. With that said I do think there are some sonic benefits to buying a high quality crafted cable with better connectors, soldering, microphonics that are silent, the flexibility of cable, and a cable you know will stand the test of time from quality craftsmanship; I even value cosmetics if quality follows.

WIth that soapbox speech, I'm a big fan of Trevor's work at Norne Audio, and this is what was delivered last week.

cable.jpg
clear+cable.jpg

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,745 of 12,550
I decided to upgrade to one of Trevor's from Norne Audio cables'. He's the only cabler maker that has maroon/red and black herringbone pattern (like the newest Focal stock cables) in a very soft high-quality sleeve. Call me crazy, but I value craftsmanship over claiming to hear grass grown from a special cryo coated cable from the Greek gods. With that said I do think there are some sonic benefits to buying a high quality crafted cable with better connectors, soldering, microphonics that are silent, the flexibility of cable, and a cable you know will stand the test of time from quality craftsmanship; I even value cosmetics if quality follows.

WIth that soapbox speech, I'm a big fan of Trevor's work at Norne Audio, and this is what was delivered last week.

Now that's a good looking cable. Love that they use Eidolic connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back