Focal Clear headphones
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #5,581 of 12,550
How do Clear and Elegia compare, especially in the low end?

Both do very well in this area. Though, the bass is presented slightly different with the Elegia, due to its closed design and I don't mean that in a negative manner. However, with both headphones, the bass does very well with each. For now, I plan on keeping the Clear and the Elegia. Though, I'll find myself most likely reaching for the Clear for most of my mainstream listening. The Elegia will be used when I need to utilize a closed headphone for additional isolation in situations that require it.

[Edit]: I had some world music playing on the Clear headphones. I then flipped over to the Elegia and realized for that music, the layers of the bass were a bit more distinct. I didn't feel like I was sacrificing much soundstage when switching quickly to the Elegia. I've read it before that the Elegia is the closed version of the Clear. Now, that I'm hearing both, I beginning to see, and hear, how one was able to make such a statement.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #5,582 of 12,550
The Clear has a bit of a better low end, by a slight margin. Similar mids. However, in the upper frequencies, I feel that the detail is there without being over-emphasized. Then again, using MSRP, the Clear is 2x the price of the Elex. However, the Elex still doesn't disappoint me. But, the Clear is there for those who want to squeeze a bit more out of their music, but don't want to reach all the way to the Utopia.

I still haven't tried the Elex pads on the Clear yet. Tomorrow night will leave room for that.

Just wanted to ask because you can do direct comparisons between the two. From my comparison at CanJam. I thought the Clear was the overall more neutral HP. A little less bass and a little less boosted highs compared to the Elex. It sounded like the bass on the clear was a little more articulate. Like you mentioned the mids seem about the same. Overall the Clear sounded a bit more accurate. Now the Stellia.......!!!

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,583 of 12,550
. . . Not that I disliked the Utopia in any way - I truly loved the sound. But, the reality is, I'm a headphone "enthusiast" and I've realized I don't want to own a pair of "end game" headphones because I enjoy this hobby to much too buy a TOTL pair and not touch another headphone. Most likely, I just keep the Clear and the Elegia and be content - for today.

I will, with probability greater than 0.50, sell my Clear and keep the Utopia. For me, the latter are truly an "endgame" dynamic for the time-being. And in my current experience, after listening to another set of headphones that I have on hand for a moment or two--with the only possible exception being the Clear, I will invariably advert to the Utopia anyway so, effectively, it amounts to my not touching another set of [dynamic] headphones. Although, I did refrain from using the Utopia [and the Clear] last week, in the process rediscovering and re-appreciating the Martin Logan Mikros 90 and the KingSound H-03.

The TOTL field is still open, though: (i) assembling a worthy front end for the Utopia; (ii) electrostatics; (iii) planars; etc.

: )

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #5,584 of 12,550
Are you using the Dekoni fenestrated pads on your Clears in the picture?

Yes. Very similar sound. Personally I find them a bit more comfy, because they are stiffer, as weird as that might sound.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #5,585 of 12,550
Both do very well in this area. Though, the bass is presented slightly different with the Elegia, due to its closed design and I don't mean that in a negative manner. However, with both headphones, the bass does very well with each. For now, I plan on keeping the Clear and the Elegia. Though, I'll find myself most likely reaching for the Clear for most of my mainstream listening. The Elegia will be used when I need to utilize a closed headphone for additional isolation in situations that require it.

[Edit]: I had some world music playing on the Clear headphones. I then flipped over to the Elegia and realized for that music, the layers of the bass were a bit more distinct. I didn't feel like I was sacrificing much soundstage when switching quickly to the Elegia. I've read it before that the Elegia is the closed version of the Clear. Now, that I'm hearing both, I beginning to see, and hear, how one was able to make such a statement.

I have Elegia, Clear and Elex headphones and find that there is a strong family resemblance, yet each has a noticeable personality. All good.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #5,586 of 12,550
Give "Big Daddy Utopia" a listen . . .
:beerchug:

BTW, the HeadphoneLounge cable is in [UP-OCC silver] for the Utopia. Quieter, airier and more detailed than the stock cable [to my ears].

Ditto for the HL cable on the Clear.

Will go head-to-head: Utopia versus Clear later tonight, with exactly the same type of cable on each.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #5,587 of 12,550
The "trio".

Trio Two.JPG

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #5,591 of 12,550
I'll try the Clear one day, but for now the Elear will have to do. I really do like the Elear and have heard the Clear is a noticeable step up.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #5,592 of 12,550
As previously mentioned, these REALLY shine with a tube amp. I am a tube guy, but not opposed to solid state at all. I am contemplating adding an Ayre Codex to my system just to compare two different sound characteristics.

But MAN, the Clear Pro REALLY sound good with the Icon Audio HP8 MKII amp.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #5,594 of 12,550
That does it!
I am going to fire up my hybrid amp [3x 6SN7 + Toshiba MOSFETs] tonight and enjoy the Clear.
: )

You got triggered by ML Grado's post too? I ordered the Loxjie balanced tube amp from Amazon just a few minutes after noon, so I have to wait for delivery tomorrow. I bought the shiny red one. Apparently, Loxjie is a branch of S.M.S.L. I've had the Little Dots in the past and figured I'd try something else this time around. :O

Loxjie.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #5,595 of 12,550
Hey Everyone, I just received a new pair of Focal Clear Headphones and would like to solicit some advice. I will be using them while streaming Tidal Masters MQA through a Cozoy Astrapi mini dac to a Schiit Asgard 2. The sound is great, but I'm thinking a better DAC would make sense as it is probably the weakest link. I know MQA is probably running at 24/96 as the Cozoy does not support MQA. If I were to buy an MQA enabled DAC, it would supposedly allow for 24/192. Is that jump worth it to narrow my focus to MQA enabled DACs or should I just focus on the best DAC for the money. I have heard good things about the Schiit Mimby as a bargain for Multibit. That DAC is $250, but I could probably push it to $400 at the most right now. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back