Focal Clear headphones
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #5,521 of 12,546
So I just received my new pair of focal clears and opened them up. When I picked them up I noticed a rattling sound coming from the left hand side. I can only assume this is not a good thing and something has come loose inside?

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #5,524 of 12,546
Okay, after some more listening to the Clear Pro, I am convinced break-in is a thing.

At first they were obvious just a tick bright with an 'edge' throughout. The bass was fairly anemic, but after putting probably 50 hours on them since they arrived, that is changing. They get smoother every time I listen, and the bass is coming into its own. Treble still slightly edgy or maybe a bit grainy is a better way to say it. But, its gets better every time I listen.

The real eye opener was going back to listen to my Audeze LCD-X. Whoa! Sounded so much different, and there really wasn't anything that stood out over the clear other than bass punch. But the Clear strikes back with a cleaner bass. I don't know if harmonic distortion measurements would show a major difference, but the only instrument that matters... my EARS.... say the bass is much more natural and refined.

Overall, I hate to say it, I think they are more than just a marginally better headphone that the LCD-X. The overall increase in listener enjoyment has me probably putting the LCD-X up on the Head Fi market, if you are interested!
Have the Elex and just heard the Clear and to me you have to go all the way to the Utopia or Stellia to have an HP more accurate than the LCD X. It’s a little dark but it’s clarity and resolution can almost not be matched in its price range. Believe me I have been trying, and yes they are heavy and sometimes hard to wear for long periods of time.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #5,526 of 12,546
So I just received my new pair of focal clears and opened them up. When I picked them up I noticed a rattling sound coming from the left hand side. I can only assume this is not a good thing and something has come loose inside?
Might be the Focal logo on the outside of the ear cup. If it is that, push against it a little and it might stop.

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #5,528 of 12,546
I will try that, thank you. Sounds like it's coming from inside the unit somewhere though. Like a loose screw or other piece rattling around inside

I had the same issue when I purchased an Elear a few years back and had to do an exchange from the Focal Dealer I purchased them from. It seemed to be a loose screw in the earcup enclosure. It probably took less than two weeks to get an exchange through the Dealer and Focal.

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #5,529 of 12,546
I will try that, thank you. Sounds like it's coming from inside the unit somewhere though. Like a loose screw or other piece rattling around inside

It seems like Focal should be using Locktite Blue on their screws in the assembly process. It may prevent them from coming loose as their headphones get shipped around the world.

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #5,531 of 12,546
Yep. From what I was told by a dealer, this isn't exactly a common issue per se, but something they've definitely seen more than once or twice.

Not the best unfortunately, they did still sound quite nice but will be shipped back to the dealer tomorrow. I must have terrible luck, I also bought a pair of Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Opens last week which had a driver imbalance which also had to be sent back. 2 new pairs of headphones, can't use either, lol

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #5,532 of 12,546
Not the best unfortunately, they did still sound quite nice but will be shipped back to the dealer tomorrow. I must have terrible luck, I also bought a pair of Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Opens last week which had a driver imbalance which also had to be sent back. 2 new pairs of headphones, can't use either, lol

gotta buy those German headphones with their obsessive levels of QC :L3000:

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #5,533 of 12,546
Have the Elex and just heard the Clear and to me you have to go all the way to the Utopia or Stellia to have an HP more accurate than the LCD X. It’s a little dark but it’s clarity and resolution can almost not be matched in its price range. Believe me I have been trying, and yes they are heavy and sometimes hard to wear for long periods of time.

LCD X more accurate than HD800/800S?

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #5,534 of 12,546
LCD X more accurate than HD800/800S?

Haven't compared the two back to back. The H800 is sharper and clearer in many respects. I do believe the LCD X is better balanced, Honestly they are very different HP's and I do plan to get an HD800 soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back