Focal Clear headphones
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #5,491 of 12,550
Well, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (my 'budget' mid-range seductress that still gets 90 percent of the listening time), an pair of Audeze LCD-X, which I really, really like especially on certain material. Maybe the LCD2/3 are laid back, 'dark' and lacking in treble, but the LCD-X WILL zing your ears on certain high midrange to treble material. At least my ears, which are very sensitive. I also own a pair of HiFiman HE-560. I love those phones. They really are hard to drive. Not HE-6 level by no means, but you need a good strong amp to get them to sing. I like even sometime love all three of these.. but...

LOOK WHAT THE CAT JUST BROUGHT IN.....

2vnlvs8.jpg

Obviously PRO version. I am digging the aggressive red color. Here is to hoping I finally find 'single headphone nirvana'!!!!!!!! For all my listening preferences.

I will post a full review and comparo, if you like, as soon as she has had ample warm up time (and ear adjustment time)

What color is the inside of the headband? Is that red too?

I do not like my grey Clear. Thinking about trading it in for the Pro and replacing the red ear pads with black Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins. But if the headband is red, it would be a no go for me, since that can't be changed easily I suppose. Or does someone know where to get Focal spare parts?

Call me crazy, but what I want is an all black Clear.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #5,492 of 12,550
What color is the inside of the headband? Is that red too?

I do not like my grey Clear. Thinking about trading it in for the Pro and replacing the red ear pads with black Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins. But if the headband is red, it would be a no go for me, since that can't be changed easily I suppose. Or does someone know where to get Focal spare parts?

Call me crazy, but what I want is an all black Clear.

Just google Focal Clear Pro and you will see, that inside of headband is red also.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #5,493 of 12,550
I do not like my grey Clear.
Man, I know it's just taste and all, but it's so hard for me to imagine not liking the color of the Clear. I think they are one of the most luxurious and gorgeous looking headphones in the world. Every time I see them, just the design itself makes me want to put it on my head.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #5,494 of 12,550
Man, I know it's just taste and all, but it's so hard for me to imagine not liking the color of the Clear. I think they are one of the most luxurious and gorgeous looking headphones in the world. Every time I see them, just the design itself makes me want to put it on my head.

It honestly made no difference to me. I have no preference really for either color scheme. I only ended up with the pro because of the outlet from which I purchased. No credit check, zero interest same as cash payments over 12 months was hard to pass up.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,495 of 12,550
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #5,496 of 12,550
zzounds.

I think their no credit check is usually only for purchases under $1000. But as I have bought several items over the last five years and always paid timely (as one should) they offered me a 'preferred status' customer account with no credit check for ANY item regardless of price. Most folks will get credit run if it tops 1K. And that total must include all shipping, handling, and there is a small one time fee to start the payments. Its always really small though. Like under 20 bucks I think. But other than that fee it IS no interest, and you have 12 monthly installments to pay it off. I don't know how many items you can put on payment plan at once, but I currently have two separate orders out right now, both for 'phones.

Now if I can only convince them to carry RME DAC's.. Its a 'PRO' audio place, so keep that in mind, but their is a unique selection. A far as reputation? I have received everything I ordered in 2 business days or less. All billing is auto billed and has always been honest and by the contract. NOW, you will usually pay full retail here. That is to me the only 'catch'. And the origination fee. But its so small I am just fiscally liberal enough to not care.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #5,498 of 12,550
I heard these at CanJam and fell in love with them. How do you guys feel about the soundstage on these? I am very much considering picking up a used pair for about $950.

I learned the hard way as a newbie to 'reserve comment' until thorough evaluation.

I have a tube amp, that yes, does have an output transformer with three impedance settings. At this point, I am trying to figure out what setting to use, and am rolling LOTS of tubes in and out to get the sound I want from the CLEAR. Caveat I am a planar guy that loves the low end 'slam' and 'control'. Hard to beat the Audeze LCD-X here in my setup. Its all about synergy, no matter how good the headphones are. Still trying to find that synergy, and it may just be the CLEAR doesn't like any of the output impedance settings of my tube amp.

I WILL say, soundstage is MAHVELOUS on the Focal. That much I can say. Now, I don't think you are ever going to get away from the 'three blob' effect, but the CLEAR makes a convincing stage full of space to the left and right, and OH MY I have NEVER heard such a wide stable and rock solid center image, especially on vocals!! Okay now that I broke my rule for a sec... haha

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,499 of 12,550
I learned the hard way as a newbie to 'reserve comment' until thorough evaluation.

I have a tube amp, that yes, does have an output transformer with three impedance settings. At this point, I am trying to figure out what setting to use, and am rolling LOTS of tubes in and out to get the sound I want from the CLEAR. Caveat I am a planar guy that loves the low end 'slam' and 'control'. Hard to beat the Audeze LCD-X here in my setup. Its all about synergy, no matter how good the headphones are. Still trying to find that synergy, and it may just be the CLEAR doesn't like any of the output impedance settings of my tube amp.

I WILL say, soundstage is MAHVELOUS on the Focal. That much I can say. Now, I don't think you are ever going to get away from the 'three blob' effect, but the CLEAR makes a convincing stage full of space to the left and right, and OH MY I have NEVER heard such a wide stable and rock solid center image, especially on vocals!! Okay now that I broke my rule for a sec... haha

haha feel free to check back in when you've had time to throroughly evaluate them! : )

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #5,500 of 12,550

I know there are more important things, like.... what was it.... oh yes, sound, that's why most of us are here. And it's a bit snobbish too, very aware of that. But I like the more understated look. For me the most beautiful Focal is the Elex.

Anyway, besides the aesthetics, there is a more of a real world problem with the grey color, it looks dirty very quickly. Also on my Elegia which is mostly black, the one thing they made light grey is the inner headband that touches your head. Not sure what they were thinking.....:triportsad:

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,501 of 12,550
I know there are more important things, like.... what was it.... oh yes, sound, that's why most of us are here. And it's a bit snobbish too, very aware of that. But I like the more understated look. For me the most beautiful Focal is the Elex.

Anyway, besides the aesthetics, there is a more of a real world problem with the grey color, it looks dirty very quickly. Also on my Elegia which is mostly black, the one thing they made light grey is the inner headband that touches your head. Not sure what they were thinking.....:triportsad:

Hey, as far as I am concerned don't sweat it. You want what you want, and you are paying to get it. Let be a bit realistic here. Most folks shopping in this price category PROBABLY have a certain artistic aesthetic in mind! No different from any other luxury item. You have every right to want something to look just like you want it!

Myself, I do prefer the red, if only because it stands out from all my other bland "black metal and gray" phones. Its just different. But to each their own!

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,502 of 12,550
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,504 of 12,550
I'm selling a pair of Clears if there is someone interested.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #5,505 of 12,550
Few months old. Excellent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back