Focal Clear headphones
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,477 of 12,550
the stellia would complement the utopia nicely for your on-the-road listening :smiling_imp:

First things first. [Actually, the Four Last Things first.] : )

Just pulled the Emotiva Little Ego out of retirement and the Clear sound more-then-adequate through it [The Dave Brubeck Quartet: "The Duke" live; J.S. Bach, Kunst der Fuge, Kenneth Gilbert, Archiv recording, sounds even better].

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,478 of 12,550
60min DIY for Clear :beyersmile:

20190218_190525.jpg

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #5,480 of 12,550
More information, please?

: )

Sure! Mogami 2893 cable, Techflex silver nylon multifilament and Neutrik/Rean plugs + heat shrink here and there. Simple, cheap, but I like it how it turned out. Silver nylon goes well with Clear.

Since Redco shipping to Europe is 3 times more expensive than before, the total cost of this cable is around 40usd (parts + shipping).

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #5,485 of 12,550
i've not heard the clear. would you mind describing the sonic differences between it and the utopia as you hear them?

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #5,486 of 12,550
up late,
The Clear which, prior to my hearing the Utopia, offered a better sense of detail, dimensionality and balance than just about every other dynamic I had owned--although, to me, the Clear always conveyed an artificially "warmed" quality as well--sound comparatively shallow, edgy, reserved and veiled alongside the Utopia.

That said, had I never heard the Utopia, I would have been blissfully and ignorantly more-than-content with the Clear. What has proven true globally for me still proves true locally, in that if I begin the day's listening with the Clear, I will be this morning enamored of them once again. That is, until this evening when I don the Utopia . . .

Deo volente, I will try to do a more detailed a/b in the upcoming days. Just wish I had the ecp DSHA-3F on hand now for an amplifier. I know of some former Utopia owners who have changed over to the Clear after their front end was optimized. While I do not foresee that shift in loyalty happening to me, due to my innate listening preferences, it is a phenomenon worth mentioning.

Cordially,
pataburd

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5,487 of 12,550
Well, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (my 'budget' mid-range seductress that still gets 90 percent of the listening time), an pair of Audeze LCD-X, which I really, really like especially on certain material. Maybe the LCD2/3 are laid back, 'dark' and lacking in treble, but the LCD-X WILL zing your ears on certain high midrange to treble material. At least my ears, which are very sensitive. I also own a pair of HiFiman HE-560. I love those phones. They really are hard to drive. Not HE-6 level by no means, but you need a good strong amp to get them to sing. I like even sometime love all three of these.. but...

LOOK WHAT THE CAT JUST BROUGHT IN.....

2vnlvs8.jpg

Obviously PRO version. I am digging the aggressive red color. Here is to hoping I finally find 'single headphone nirvana'!!!!!!!! For all my listening preferences.

I will post a full review and comparo, if you like, as soon as she has had ample warm up time (and ear adjustment time)

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #5,489 of 12,550
Well, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (my 'budget' mid-range seductress that still gets 90 percent of the listening time), an pair of Audeze LCD-X, which I really, really like especially on certain material. Maybe the LCD2/3 are laid back, 'dark' and lacking in treble, but the LCD-X WILL zing your ears on certain high midrange to treble material. At least my ears, which are very sensitive. I also own a pair of HiFiman HE-560. I love those phones. They really are hard to drive. Not HE-6 level by no means, but you need a good strong amp to get them to sing. I like even sometime love all three of these.. but...

LOOK WHAT THE CAT JUST BROUGHT IN.....

2vnlvs8.jpg

Obviously PRO version. I am digging the aggressive red color. Here is to hoping I finally find 'single headphone nirvana'!!!!!!!! For all my listening preferences.

I will post a full review and comparo, if you like, as soon as she has had ample warm up time (and ear adjustment time)

Fav color combo. What are the differences in sound w the non professional if any?

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #5,490 of 12,550
Fav color combo. What are the differences in sound w the non professional if any?

my understanding is none. Tuning is same. Only difference is color, and cable type. Spiral cable option for 'pro studio' use. Seems to be a preference for that demographic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back