Focal Clear headphones
Feb 11, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #5,446 of 12,550
While im happy how Clear sounds from Fiio K3, will I gain anything if I buy JDS Atom and use K3 as a dac? Because as we know, Clear does not need a lot of power. Or maybe a Modi 3 + Atom. Hmm...decisions decisions.
It's not just about power, but the quality (THD+N etc..). I do think you'll hear an improvement. The Clear is pretty sensitive/low impedance and yeah doesn't need a lot of power, but is revealing enough to show the quality of upstream components. Yet, it's relatively forgiving in terms of upstream components, it will sound pretty decent out of anything (unlike, for example, the HD800 lol).

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #5,447 of 12,550
It's not just about power, but the quality (THD+N etc..). I do think you'll hear an improvement. The Clear is pretty sensitive/low impedance and yeah doesn't need a lot of power, but is revealing enough to show the quality of upstream components. Yet, it's relatively forgiving in terms of upstream components, it will sound pretty decent out of anything (unlike, for example, the HD800 lol).

HD800 is yes, different story. With HD800 you usually have to put 1000 under dac and another 1000 under amp. With Clear it is alot better. Even from K3 I enjoy the sound more :D

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,448 of 12,550
Focal Stellia Screenshot_20190211-172628_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190211-172537_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190211-172749_Chrome.jpg

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #5,450 of 12,550
Somebody at Moog Audio is going to be in trouble for launching early. Page now gone from website.......oooops!

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #5,451 of 12,550
Somebody at Moog Audio is going to be in trouble for launching early. Page now gone from website.......oooops!

Nah, I hear it was leaked out of Poland a week ago

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #5,453 of 12,550
A bit more advertising revealed.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #5,454 of 12,550
Anybody noticed some slight clipping or static at low volumes with your Clears? I noticed this last night while listening in bed through the iPhone X's Lightning adapter. Seems to happen with my MacBook Pro too. Some of it went away when I increased the volume.

How do I tell if clipping is from the source file (use MP3Gain?), the music player (iTunes?), or the headphone?

No other DAC/amp used.

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #5,455 of 12,550
Anybody noticed some slight clipping or static at low volumes with your Clears? I noticed this last night while listening in bed through the iPhone X's Lightning adapter. Seems to happen with my MacBook Pro too. Some of it went away when I increased the volume.

How do I tell if clipping is from the source file (use MP3Gain?), the music player (iTunes?), or the headphone?

No other DAC/amp used.

Does it happen with the same tracks, at the same time, everytime? Or is there a randomness to it?

That's your first port of call I would suggest.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,456 of 12,550

No other DAC/amp used.

I never get clipping or static, and your problem is probably not the headphones. The only problem I've had with computer use, was trying to use a combination mike/headphone jack on the computer with headphones that have a left, a right, and a ground, and no mic.

While you are testing, it's best to use 16 bit and 44.1 kHz settings, and not higher, until are able to pinpoint the problem.

I wouldn't use computer on board DAC or amp with Clears, you won't get the most out of them, and there's probably portable DAC/amp combo units you could get for under $500 that are of higher quality. I use only $300 and under headphones directly with my computer and phone, and that's mostly for phone and Skype, and not music.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,457 of 12,550

No other DAC/amp used.

It might be noise from the 4G/wi-fi antenna. I've stopped using IEMs with my phone for this reason. Try putting it in airplane mode to see if that helps.

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #5,458 of 12,550
Thanks for the inputs. While I'm planning to find time to test out some DACs/amps in the near future, playback from my Apple products have been pretty good so far. No noise that I can discern.

I did all of the tests found on this page, and everything seems normal: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I did MP3Gain on my tracks to remove any possible clipping, and so far in my testing the clipping seems to have disappeared. Will see how it goes!

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #5,460 of 12,550
Listened to these today at CanJam. They are amazing! They are better than the Utopia in my opinion and not by a little bit. They are very tonally accurate and neutral. NO sibilance or annoying harsh and bright like the Utopia's. They kind of remind me of my HD600s in tonality, but they are worlds better in clarity, soundstage, detail retrieval and pretty much everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back