Focal Clear headphones
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #5,177 of 12,543
There is no replacement for Tyll, unfortunately. IMO he set the template for how headphones should be reviewed, and I feel like we're all waiting for someone to come along and continue it. So far, no luck, and Rafe very obviously isn't it.

But in the interim, I do find Solderdude from DIY Audio Heaven does a good job, though his site is nowhere near as comprehensive. There is also Reference Audio Analyzer Pro. They only do measurements and use their own compensation curve for the FR which is a bit different, but should still provide a basis for comparison. The site is largely in Russian, but I did link the English section. Sometimes you will find Russian-only content. Their measurements look a little strange initially because of the odd compensation used but otherwise appear to be accurate.

Then of course you have the mad lot of us on various forums, though if you asked us what color the sky is, you'd get 30 different opinions.

depending on when you ask, 5 of them will probably be mine

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #5,178 of 12,543
Dear all,

Be careful Clear MSRP is not $999 but $1,499. There may be exceptional offers but we recommend you to keep in mind MSRPs to compare several models.
:wink:

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

At 1k, Clear is a great gate keeper and I can recommend Clear to anyone without any hesitation. I am not so sure I will do that at 1.5k. Beyond Clear at 1k, diminishing returns come into play very quickly.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #5,179 of 12,543
There is no replacement for Tyll, unfortunately. IMO he set the template for how headphones should be reviewed, and I feel like we're all waiting for someone to come along and continue it. So far, no luck, and Rafe very obviously isn't it.

But in the interim, I do find Solderdude from DIY Audio Heaven does a good job, though his site is nowhere near as comprehensive. There is also Reference Audio Analyzer Pro. They only do measurements and use their own compensation curve for the FR which is a bit different, but should still provide a basis for comparison. The site is largely in Russian, but I did link the English section. Sometimes you will find Russian-only content. Their measurements look a little strange initially because of the odd compensation used but otherwise appear to be accurate.

Then of course you have the mad lot of us on various forums, though if you asked us what color the sky is, you'd get 30 different opinions.

depending on when you ask, 5 of them will probably be mine

Thanks for pointing out DIY Audio Heaven. Here's their Clear review:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/focal/clear/

Their listening impression of the Clear, and their comparisons with the Elear and Utopia, are consistent with my impressions. And I like how they relate their impressions to measurements. Comparing the FR curves, it's easy to see why the Utopia sounds brighter than Clear (and a bit too bright for some ears).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #5,180 of 12,543
Hi Folks, very new to the site, my usual pass time is music recording and production, however I happened to have won a pair of these Focal Clear Pro cans in a review & giveaway, thanks to warren Huart at Produce Like a Pro.

Subsequently I got myself an AKSR15 to see what its all about...pleasantly surprised at the moment.

Ive no real idea where these Focal cans sit in the Headphone world, though given the price bracket I hope somewhere good !

Look forward to reading lots of posts

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #5,181 of 12,543
Wall is still there. It’s the wall we all love.

It's still there but has Rafe posted anything out there on it over the past 9 months? Doesn't seem like it. I'm a Gen-Xer - I like lists! I NEED lists!!!

Posted yesterday on Inner Fidelity - Product of the Year - Quad ERA-1 - "Look for a review in the upcoming new year"...... good grief!

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-product-year-2018

BTW, DIY Audio Heaven is a pretty cool site. Thanks for the link!

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #5,182 of 12,543
It's still there but has Rafe posted anything out there on it over the past 9 months? Doesn't seem like it. I'm a Gen-Xer - I like lists! I NEED lists!!!

Posted yesterday on Inner Fidelity - Product of the Year - Quad ERA-1 - "Look for a review in the upcoming new year"...... good grief!

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-product-year-2018

BTW, DIY Audio Heaven is a pretty cool site. Thanks for the link!

I’d suggest checking the Quad ERA1 out. As a Quad Dealer I wasn’t a believer they could do it but then I checked them out ..... Nice cans!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #5,183 of 12,543
It's still there but has Rafe posted anything out there on it over the past 9 months?

What he posts there involves two categories: (1) Promises to post reviews; (2) press releases.

Inner Fidelity has become useless to me. When Tyll ran the website, I learned about headphones and the meaning of headphone measurements. I learned about several headphones that I've bought and liked (including Clears).

Since Rafe took over, I've learned about what Rafe likes and what manufacturers are selling--and that's all. Everything else--reviews, new measurement apparatus--that's all promises, promises.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #5,184 of 12,543
What he posts there involves two categories: (1) Promises to post reviews; (2) press releases.

Inner Fidelity has become useless to me. When Tyll ran the website, I learned about headphones and the meaning of headphone measurements. I learned about several headphones that I've bought and liked (including Clears).

Since Rafe took over, I've learned about what Rafe likes and what manufacturers are selling--and that's all. Everything else--reviews, new measurement apparatus--that's all promises, promises.
I agree 100%, so disappointing

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #5,185 of 12,543
Hi folks, I'm searching for cables for the Focal Clear - either the stock cables or aftermarket cables. I ended up buying the Clear Professional headphones because of the color and because I thought the cables would work best for my needs, but the stock regular cable is short and the coiled cable is tight - both are pulling on the phones or on the amp.

The other day I ran across a cable that looked beautiful, was helix woven and I though it was from Cardas, but I can't find it on their site. What other cables might you suggest? I keep running across a pair from Moon Audio. I'd also be fine with the stock Clear cables, but can't seem to find them anywhere online.

BTW I LOVE the Clear Professionals!!! I'm using them with the Ruper Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp and the pair is delightful. I'm currently using them with a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, but I plan to switch over the my Resolution Audio Cantata DAC when I get the right cables, so the system can run both speakers and headphone amp.

TIA!

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5,186 of 12,543
I’d suggest checking the Quad ERA1 out. As a Quad Dealer I wasn’t a believer they could do it but then I checked them out ..... Nice cans!

Alright Jason, you have me intrigued.

What headphones are the ERA1’s similar to? And where do the They fit within the the hierarchy of mid-Fi cans (ie, Elear/Elex, HE560, Aeon Flow, LCD-2/2C, etc)?

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #5,187 of 12,543
Alright Jason, you have me intrigued.

What headphones are the ERA1’s similar to? And where do the They fit within the the hierarchy of mid-Fi cans (ie, Elear/Elex, HE560, Aeon Flow, LCD-2/2C, etc)?

Hmmmm fair question! I liken them to the Clear with just a touch of the 800S sound stage. Very nicely layered and surprisingly linear. Mids were exactly what I expect from the Utopia. High frequencies seem almost electrostatic. The bass extension is very similar to the Clear. Bass on its own is present, tight and well detailed. It’s a tight fit but not as tight as a Focal. For $800 MSRP it’s a player and should be on a must listen list for those that like this type of headphone and are ok with the price range. I really was surprised it performed so well. So far I’ve listened to it with the GSX MkII & Gilmore lite, Violectric v281 & Niimbus US4+, Amps&Sound Kenzie, Sony Z1ES and Questyle 400 & 12. I really haven’t had the time to run it through as many tests as I typically do but so far it’s a pretty impressive can for the price point. I haven’t tried any cable alternatives yet, so far it’s all been OE cable use in my evaluations. It is the first can I decided to sell within the first 10 minutes of listening. So it’s a cool can in my opinion. Give it a try, you’ll probably agree or have a similar impression. Its a surprise and quite good.

I believe there is a thread for them and if I’m not mistaken I think we have a sale on them too.

It appears to work well in many genres of music. I’ve tried Clasical, Jazz, Funk, R&B, Metal, Rock and EDM. :)

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 5, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #5,188 of 12,543
Following a couple others on this thread, I also picked up a Loxjie P20 for interim balanced headphone action while I save up for a Liquid Platinum and have been listening to it for the past 4 days. I have to say I am just super impressed. As others have noted, you do lose just the *slightest* detail for sure, but I am shocked at how pronounced the separation is when going from my DAC balanced to the P20 balanced. I really didn't expect it at all. I can definitely tell that I'm not getting as much potential from my Clears as I could be with something higher up the food-chain, but I also just can't believe what I'm hearing from an $80 chinese amp. It's stupid good for that price, and with the balanced its WAY better than my first gen Lyr which I do not particularly like with these headphones at all.

I will add an interesting tidbit as well. Got some GE Jan 5670w's today and put them in. Have given them a good 5-6 hours so far and while they do add in more of the detail I was missing from the stock tubes, I gotta say that I don't think I particularly like them as much. They're definitely more "forward" and "in your face." And I think the stock tubes have better bass and separation. The bass is more robust and encompassing whereas on the GE's it's still there but only occasionally shows up. Last night I listened to Peter Gabriel's US, which is one of my favorite albums of all time, and with the Clears and the P20 with stock tubes, it was like I was hearing the album for the first time. It's the feeling we want to get when we have new gear. Just that opening up of the sonics of an album you've heard a million times that somehow feels fresh and new and exciting. So having that experience fresh in my mind, I tried again with the 5670's and definitely lost a bit of the magic with them. Sonics that were fresh in my mind were a bit recessed and not as dynamic. And with everything I thought the separation was lacking compared to the stock tubes.

And who knows, maybe I didn't get the right versions or perhaps I need to give them more burn-in, but I just wasn't enjoying the sound as much so I through the stock ones in and am right back to where I want to be so may just stick with them for now, at least until I get the Platinum and expect that that will be a whole new world.

P.S. To update my initial impressions of the Clear, I've got a good 150 hours on them now and they have absolutely bloomed into something so so special. I am falling deeper in love with every single session.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #5,189 of 12,543
Following a couple others on this thread, I also picked up a Loxjie P20 for interim balanced headphone action while I save up for a Liquid Platinum and have been listening to it for the past 4 days. I have to say I am just super impressed. As others have noted, you do lose just the *slightest* detail for sure, but I am shocked at how pronounced the separation is when going from my DAC balanced to the P20 balanced. I really didn't expect it at all. I can definitely tell that I'm not getting as much potential from my Clears as I could be with something higher up the food-chain, but I also just can't believe what I'm hearing from an $80 chinese amp. It's stupid good for that price, and with the balanced its WAY better than my first gen Lyr which I do not particularly like with these headphones at all.

I will add an interesting tidbit as well. Got some GE Jan 5670w's today and put them in. Have given them a good 5-6 hours so far and while they do add in more of the detail I was missing from the stock tubes, I gotta say that I don't think I particularly like them as much. They're definitely more "forward" and "in your face." And I think the stock tubes have better bass and separation. The bass is more robust and encompassing whereas on the GE's it's still there but only occasionally shows up. Last night I listened to Peter Gabriel's US, which is one of my favorite albums of all time, and with the Clears and the P20 with stock tubes, it was like I was hearing the album for the first time. It's the feeling we want to get when we have new gear. Just that opening up of the sonics of an album you've heard a million times that somehow feels fresh and new and exciting. So having that experience fresh in my mind, I tried again with the 5670's and definitely lost a bit of the magic with them. Sonics that were fresh in my mind were a bit recessed and not as dynamic. And with everything I thought the separation was lacking compared to the stock tubes.

And who knows, maybe I didn't get the right versions or perhaps I need to give them more burn-in, but I just wasn't enjoying the sound as much so I through the stock ones in and am right back to where I want to be so may just stick with them for now, at least until I get the Platinum and expect that that will be a whole new world.

P.S. To update my initial impressions of the Clear, I've got a good 150 hours on them now and they have absolutely bloomed into something so so special. I am falling deeper in love with every single session.

It is great reading this.
Because i did the exact same and bought the loxjie p20 amp after some recommendations in this thread.

I've been comparing the loxjie p20 against the questyle cma400i for a few days now.
And it is truly incredible for the price. You definitely have less detail in the top end, but the bass is thicker, the separation is greater and it is more forgiving for bad recordings. It does however sound slighty less refined.

Honestly though i can listen to either the questyle cma 400i or the loxjie p20 and enjoy it the same (but ofcourse in slighty different ways)

The Dac i used was straight from the questyle.

I would recommend the loxjie p20 to everyone here owning a balanced dac and wanting a different taste!

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,190 of 12,543
And it is truly incredible for the price. You definitely have less detail in the top end, but the bass is thicker, the separation is greater and it is more forgiving for bad recordings. It does however sound slighty less refined.

That is EXACTLY my experience in a much more condensed form (I'm so wordy). Haha! Thank you! Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back