Focal Clear headphones
Nov 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #4,831 of 12,549
Have played them side by side on a few occasions, one of them being when I was deciding between buying the Clear, HD800S, LCD-2 or HEX v2.
It's true that the HD800S has a bigger soundstage (both in width and depth) than the others. It also has great imaging to go along with it. But the bass left me a little unsatisfied, overall slightly too lean sound for me, and the treble was just a little too harsh/fatiguing for me. Would love to own one for certain moods and genres, but I didn't want it as my daily driver. The Clear handles that role perfectly imo.

Totally agree. Had the HD800S for about 2 years and found them lean in general. Got the Clear last week and although not perfect, their fuller body sound made it for me. Would love the Clear to have the soundstage/imaging of the HD800S but clearly Clear are more engaging and fun.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4,832 of 12,549
Totally agree. Had the HD800S for about 2 years and found them lean in general. Got the Clear last week and although not perfect, their fuller body sound made it for me. Would love the Clear to have the soundstage/imaging of the HD800S but clearly Clear are more engaging and fun.

If you can have both, do they complement each other such that it makes sense to have both?

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4,833 of 12,549
If you can have both, do they complement each other such that it makes sense to have both?

Personally, no. Wouldn't use the HD800S (too thin sounding) now that I have the Clear so I sold them. That's just me. YMMV. Have the Meze 99 Classics as my fun sounding HP when I want a change.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #4,834 of 12,549
Have played them side by side on a few occasions, one of them being when I was deciding between buying the Clear, HD800S, LCD-2 or HEX v2.
It's true that the HD800S has a bigger soundstage (both in width and depth) than the others. It also has great imaging to go along with it. But the bass left me a little unsatisfied, overall slightly too lean sound for me, and the treble was just a little too harsh/fatiguing for me. Would love to own one for certain moods and genres, but I didn't want it as my daily driver. The Clear handles that role perfectly imo.

I stopped worrying about soundstage as soon as I added bookshelf monitors my my desktop setup, no headphones will compare in the soundstage or imaging department regardless of price, at least in my experience IMO. Now I don't own the 800 or the 800s but their popularity means I've had the opportunity to try them plenty of times, I found them to be missing the body that I loved so much in the 650 and a bit too harsh for the kind of music I listen to. The Clear has the body I want and is an upgrade to the 650 in treble without being harsh like the 800/800s

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #4,835 of 12,549
Its not the first headphone I would pick as a complementary headphone to the Clear, but that depends on your taste. My first choice would be either an L700 to get a more relaxed yet hyper-resolved sound, or an lcd-2/3 for a warmer sound with powerful deep bass.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #4,836 of 12,549
This is a huge thread which I've not got the time to read through all of it and I know this has been a big debate so apologies, but I would appreciate some advice from those who have had a similar situation.

I currently own the Elear with Dekoni Fen Sheepskin pads and a silver cable from lavricables and love the sound signature and dynamics but do hear that mid range dip on certain music. I listen to a lot of classical/jazz/female vocal/acoustic music so wondering if the Clears would give me more detail/balance but still keep those amazing dynamics. Are the Clears a significant enough upgrade to warrant the extra $$'s? I do find them a bit heavy for longer listening sessions though. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #4,837 of 12,549
I say that's a great question @Tagjazz I'd also like to know if that would a big upgrade I'm also an Elear fan Thanks all..

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #4,838 of 12,549
Okay Guys, I need some community feedback, last week, I was listening to my replacement pair of Clear, on my replacement Lyr 3 (both warranty replacements) and it happened again. A rushing sound, like a tube failure, then highly distorted, “tin can” sound. Exactly the same experience I had three months ago, a dead pair of Clear, on multiple amps, and a Lyr 3 that sounds fine with other headphones.

I listen to the Clear at low to moderate levels because of their clarity, the Abyss are my jam headphones. I use Furman Surge Protectors, so that’s not the problem. Any similar experience, thoughts on the culprit?<

Was Focal able to offer any description of what was damaged in your Clears that were replaced? E.g. did the cone detach from the surround or something? I imagine they would have inspected them as part of the warranty process, but maybe they don't like to disclose that information. It would be useful to know if there are some amp issues to look out for with these cans.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4,839 of 12,549
Okay Guys, I need some community feedback, last week, I was listening to my replacement pair of Clear, on my replacement Lyr 3 (both warranty replacements) and it happened again. A rushing sound, like a tube failure, then highly distorted, “tin can” sound. Exactly the same experience I had three months ago, a dead pair of Clear, on multiple amps, and a Lyr 3 that sounds fine with other headphones.

I listen to the Clear at low to moderate levels because of their clarity, the Abyss are my jam headphones. I use Furman Surge Protectors, so that’s not the problem. Any similar experience, thoughts on the culprit?<

Bad luck dude, it's probably the Lyr 3 or the tube especially since you're not sure whether the amp was replaced or not. With regard to the Clear and tube amps, correct, but hybrid tube amps are different and in fact several people on another super friendly audio forum seem to like the Clear and Lyr 3 pairing.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #4,840 of 12,549
Bad luck dude, it's probably the Lyr 3 or the tube especially since you're not sure whether the amp was replaced or not. With regard to the Clear and tube amps, correct, but hybrid tube amps are different and in fact several people on another super friendly audio forum seem to like the Clear and Lyr 3 pairing.

Jason at Schiit stepped up and my Focal Dealer as well, both are incredible companies.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #4,841 of 12,549
The Clear were brand new, not sure on the Amp, I didn’t check the serial number on the first one (dumb on my part).

Dude. Don't plug your Abyss into that amp, just incase. Replacing the drivers on a pair of Abyss is not cheap. If it was indeed the Lyr 3 that killed the Clear, I would be looking for a new amp personally.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #4,842 of 12,549
This is a huge thread which I've not got the time to read through all of it and I know this has been a big debate so apologies, but I would appreciate some advice from those who have had a similar situation.

I currently own the Elear with Dekoni Fen Sheepskin pads and a silver cable from lavricables and love the sound signature and dynamics but do hear that mid range dip on certain music. I listen to a lot of classical/jazz/female vocal/acoustic music so wondering if the Clears would give me more detail/balance but still keep those amazing dynamics. Are the Clears a significant enough upgrade to warrant the extra $$'s? I do find them a bit heavy for longer listening sessions though. Thanks in advance for any advice.
My advice: put some Elex pads on your Elears (if you can find them - I bought a pair from Massdrop) and save yourself $1000. From everything I’ve read the Elex gets you 95% to the Clear while retaining certain advantages (like the Elear’s nicer colorway and better bass response). It’s one of the best ‘upgrades’ I’ve made in audio (I also have the Dekoni fen pads and switch between them and the Elex depending on my mood and music.

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #4,843 of 12,549
I listened to the Clear, Utopia, and Elear. The Elear left me a bit cold, it did many things well but nothing great. The Utopia did everything well except it had a slight bite with some music, and even at the best discount it was $2500. The Clear, especially on the most current discount at $1100, was near perfect, not as revealing as the Utopia but warmer, better balanced.

I’d be upgrading my Elear to the Clear if it were me.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #4,844 of 12,549
I listened to the Clear, Utopia, and Elear. The Elear left me a bit cold, it did many things well but nothing great. The Utopia did everything well except it had a slight bite with some music, and even at the best discount it was $2500. The Clear, especially on the most current discount at $1100, was near perfect, not as revealing as the Utopia but warmer, better balanced.

I’d be upgrading my Elear to the Clear if it were me.

That's about how it came out for me. All three similar, but slight win overall for the Clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back