Focal Clear headphones
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #4,786 of 12,550
Some people just can’t detect any differences. So based on pheonesis posts it’s likely he can’t hear the differences between wire, amps and DAC’s.

It’s not all that uncommon for a person not to hear the differences in these things. It doesn’t mean the differences aren’t there, it just means the individual can’t hear the differences

No offense to phronesis or anyone that has trouble noticing the differences.

Agreed. Also believe the fast switching A/B test aren't capable of telling you what you need to know. You aren't able to pickup all the subtle nuances presented in music while doing these quick changes.

I prefer using longer tests over a week or so and then switching up my setup once I've fully got a grasp on how it sounds and some of the more prominent traits therein

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #4,787 of 12,550
Agreed. Also believe the fast switching A/B test aren't capable of telling you what you need to know. You aren't able to pickup all the subtle nuances presented in music while doing these quick changes.

I prefer using longer tests over a week or so and then switching up my setup once I've fully got a grasp on how it sounds and some of the more prominent traits therein

I agree that the results of fast switching A/B tests may not necessarily generalize to normal listening. But longer-duration tests have their own problems too. IMO, there's no ideal test, so the best option may be test in various ways and then make a judgment, recognizing that the potential for error can't be entirely eliminated. I did my A/B tests in various ways, and the one I thing I concluded with some confidence is that the difference between these DAC/amps is a lot less than I had previously thought - I learned how powerful the effect of expectation bias can be. It was a disconcerting finding, but when I kept getting the same finding, I had to accept it.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,788 of 12,550
I agree that the results of fast switching A/B tests may not necessarily generalize to normal listening. But longer-duration tests have their own problems too. IMO, there's no ideal test, so the best option may be test in various ways and then make a judgment, recognizing that the potential for error can't be entirely eliminated. I did my A/B tests in various ways, and the one I thing I concluded with some confidence is that the difference between these DAC/amps is a lot less than I had previously thought - I learned how powerful the effect of expectation bias can be. It was a disconcerting finding, but when I kept getting the same finding, I had to accept it.

I’m agnostic to snake oil so I hear what I hear and it always seems to match what’s been measured

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,789 of 12,550

That's all well and good. Just letting you know what works for me, as I'm sure it's different for each person.

It's also satisfying to just pick a piece of gear because you like it's looks or features, or technology, and then listen to it and stop the constant A/B testing.

For me, I've heard a distinct change in sound with every change of upstream gear, but that may be due to my headphones, my ears, my hearing, and my preference.

Find something ya like, audition it against some other challengers, pick what you like and enjoy the music.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,790 of 12,550
That's all well and good. Just letting you know what works for me, as I'm sure it's different for each person.

It's also satisfying to just pick a piece of gear because you like it's looks or features, or technology, and then listen to it and stop the constant A/B testing.

For me, I've heard a distinct change in sound with every change of upstream gear, but that may be due to my headphones, my ears, my hearing, and my preference.

Find something ya like, audition it against some other challengers, pick what you like and enjoy the music.

Yes, I agree, given the plethora of good stuff out there, shouldn't be difficult to find something we like, then best to just enjoy it rather than fretting over testing, upgrades, etc.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #4,792 of 12,550
Well hot damn, I think we actually agreed on something lol. High five!

I'm sure we agree on lots of stuff, just happen to mostly talk about the stuff where we don't agree. :)

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #4,793 of 12,550
I'm sure we agree on lots of stuff, just happen to mostly talk about the stuff where we don't agree. :)
And I’ll just jump in to say that I’m glad you both got to the same conclusion!

Someone said the other day (in a different forum) that ‘endgame’ isn’t about gear, it’s a choice we make. Even though I love my gear like all of you (otherwise what’s the point of this forum?) my personal journey has always been about hearing what’s out there so I can find the best combination of gear that fits both my music tastes and financial realities, and then stop the chase and enjoy the music.

For me, if it’s always about the gear - if we’re always trying our new headphones and amps and dacs and cables - then what’s the point really? Maybe for some that IS the point, but then don’t fool yourself into thinking it’s about improving the music when most of your time (and money) is spent improving your gear. Music is only the software you’re using to test the hardware.

It’s not easy to kick the gear addiction and become a music-first audiophile. Even in my ‘endgame’ I still come back here and indulge in conversations with total strangers about headphones I don’t even own, and am always looking for little tweaks and changes I can use or buy to make my endgame more endgame. It’s fun, like drugs are ‘fun’. But I’m trying. I really am.

Anyway, TL;DR, my name is gLer and I’m an audioholic :)

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,794 of 12,550
CR@P!! Went into Hedphoneshop today to get a pair of closed back for my AK300 for when I don't want to run IEMs. Mostly for around the house. Always been intrigued by the Clear but never heard them.. until today. Ended up falling in love with the Maze 99 Classics for the AK but auditioned them side by side with the Clear.. OMG, the Clear sounded awesome out of the AK300! And amazing out of the Hugo 2!! Almost.. almost walked out with them. Went for the Meze 99 Classics and an AK15. AK300 going bye.
So.. haven't been listening to my HD800S for a while.. maybe I've just grown away from them. Looking for something with more body and bass and these seem to fit the bill (actually, the Meze fit this bill too)..
What next? HD800S are going up for sale.. Going back tomorrow to spend some more time with the Clear. At the current going price, I can sell my HD800S, get the Clear and come out even.
I've got the Macintosh MXA70 so DAC/AMP taken care of. Should sound amazing with the Clear!
Stay tuned..

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #4,795 of 12,550

Someone said the other day (in a different forum) that ‘endgame’ isn’t about gear, it’s a choice we make. Even though I love my gear like all of you (otherwise what’s the point of this forum?) my personal journey has always been about hearing what’s out there so I can find the best combination of gear that fits both my music tastes and financial realities, and then stop the chase and enjoy the music.

For me, if it’s always about the gear - if we’re always trying our new headphones and amps and dacs and cables - then what’s the point really? Maybe for some that IS the point, but then don’t fool yourself into thinking it’s about improving the music when most of your time (and money) is spent improving your gear. Music is only the software you’re using to test the hardware.

It’s not easy to kick the gear addiction and become a music-first audiophile. Even in my ‘endgame’ I still come back here and indulge in conversations with total strangers about headphones I don’t even own, and am always looking for little tweaks and changes I can use or buy to make my endgame more endgame. It’s fun, like drugs are ‘fun’. But I’m trying. I really am.

I think the gear side tells us that it's not just about the music and "fidelity" in some absolute "correct" sense, there's also some fun in experiencing music presented in different ways and playing around with different gear to achieve those diverse experiences. I'm generally not a materialistic person and I don't like owning things I don't use, but I do have multiple sports cars and lots of guitars because each provides a unique sort of enjoyable experience (think of guitarists who go through multiple guitars on stage for live performances). There's no one "best" car or guitar for me, and maybe it's similar for headphones.

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #4,796 of 12,550

Hahaha dude! I love the sign off ....almost spit my drink reading it .......still chuckling lol :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #4,797 of 12,550
CR@P!! Went into Hedphoneshop today to get a pair of closed back for my AK300 for when I don't want to run IEMs. Mostly for around the house. Always been intrigued by the Clear but never heard them.. until today. Ended up falling in love with the Maze 99 Classics for the AK but auditioned them side by side with the Clear.. OMG, the Clear sounded awesome out of the AK300! And amazing out of the Hugo 2!! Almost.. almost walked out with them. Went for the Meze 99 Classics and an AK15. AK300 going bye.
So.. haven't been listening to my HD800S for a while.. maybe I've just grown away from them. Looking for something with more body and bass and these seem to fit the bill (actually, the Meze fit this bill too)..
What next? HD800S are going up for sale.. Going back tomorrow to spend some more time with the Clear. At the current going price, I can sell my HD800S, get the Clear and come out even.
I've got the Macintosh MXA70 so DAC/AMP taken care of. Should sound amazing with the Clear!
Stay tuned..

OK.. quoting myself - after 6 years with the Sennheiser HD800 and then the HD800S, got a pair of Focal Clear yesterday. Let them run for a few hours and am quite pleased with them. Miss the crazy headspace of the HD800S but he the Clear are more musical, full and fun while maintaining nearly the same detail. These are the first headphone that have purchased and NOT hoped that they would sound better after break in. I'm sure they will. They even should good out of my A&K SR15. May go for a mini balanced cable.
So far so good..

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,798 of 12,550

I too did various A/B tests between DACs and came to the same conclusion.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #4,799 of 12,550
OK.. quoting myself - after 6 years with the Sennheiser HD800 and then the HD800S, got a pair of Focal Clear yesterday. Let them run for a few hours and am quite pleased with them. Miss the crazy headspace of the HD800S but he the Clear are more musical, full and fun while maintaining nearly the same detail. These are the first headphone that have purchased and NOT hoped that they would sound better after break in. I'm sure they will. They even should good out of my A&K SR15. May go for a mini balanced cable.
So far so good..

I recommend trying a balanced cable. It made a noticeable improvement when connected to my A&K Kann.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #4,800 of 12,550
Using the AK70 Mk II, and just ordered the Clear. Anyone else here have this combination?

Question: I know the Clear has a low impedance and they sounded great when I was testing them out. But, for best quality, does the AK70 Mk II suffice, or should I get an amp? If so, which one is reasonable and portable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back