Focal Clear headphones
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #4,531 of 12,550
I just joined the Clear family. Audio Advisor sent an email advertising $400 off a new pair. You pay 1300 and then send them any headphone back as a trade in and they rebate another 200. Offers ends Oct. 31. Catch is you have to call them to get an RMA and then ship back, within 30 days. Send them your lowly iPod earbuds or crappy over the ears you got on your airline flight.

Link to deal: https://www.audioadvisor.com/ssearch.asp?tag=focaltradein2018

I’ve been wanting to try these but locally it’s $550 more than this deal, so sort of a no brainer to buy and try. Will be using these with both a WA5 and WA22 Woo. I use LCD3f and HD650, so the Clear should fit in nicely. They are also offering Elear and Utopia at big discounts. But I heard Elear and wasn’t impressed and heard Utopia and loved it except for 6khz range brightness, plus even at $2500 I don’t listen enough to justify cost. Could never find a Clear to demo, probably good I waited.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #4,532 of 12,550
If you were to produce this for sale, you could include a simple explanation on releasing the logo cover from it's seated position & this would encourage a potential customer I should imagine. Fear of damage or irreversible action more often than not is a deterrent.
To be perfectly honest, while fitting the strap is fairly simple (easy to say once you’ve done it!), it’s still a ‘mod’, because the Elear/Elex/Clear/Utopia headband was not designed to use with a suspension strap. I wouldn’t be surprised if something as straightforward as opening up the logo covers voids your warranty, and I’m pretty sure trimming some of the headband leather will do that.

The gStrap is more a labour of love that I made for myself, and is one of the best ‘investments’ I’ve made in audio because it’s completely transformed the comfort and positioning of the Elear for me. I didn’t realise it until I fitted the strap, but every time I started a session with the Elear I spent some time positioning it and adjusting it for comfort, fiddling with the pads and so on. Now it’s straight on, no fuss, pads line up automatically, no clamping pressure, no hotspots.

So, if you feel the same as I did about the comfort (and wear) of your Focal headphones, and aren’t afraid of a small DIY mod, I’ll be happy to help.

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #4,533 of 12,550
A simple strap mod.

1. Cut a sock, remove the ankle end.
2. Place sock under the headband - the part that touches the head.
3. Thread it around the headband.

Advantage to this mod:
A. Easy to do.
B. Affordable.
C. No damage to headphone.
D. Easy to remove.
E. You can choose a sock colour design that you prefer and maybe find a design matching the Clear.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,534 of 12,550
A simple strap mod.

1. Cut a sock, remove the ankle end.
2. Place sock under the headband - the part that touches the head.
3. Thread it around the headband.

Advantage to this mod:
A. Easy to do.
B. Affordable.
C. No damage to headphone.
D. Easy to remove.
E. You can choose a sock colour design that you prefer and maybe find a design matching the Clear.
Nice. It’s easy to make a suspension strap - came up with a few different designs myself. The hard part is making it with with the design aesthetic of the headphone. That means high quality materials and also fitting it so it looks like part of the original design. That last part may or may not be important to many people, but it is to me.

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #4,535 of 12,550
Nice. It’s easy to make a suspension strap - came up with a few different designs myself. The hard part is making it with with the design aesthetic of the headphone. That means high quality materials and also fitting it so it looks like part of the original design. That last part may or may not be important to many people, but it is to me.

Yes that is a challenge. Also to ensure it is easy to remove, clean and will not damage the headband or impact shape. Plus good for hot and cold room temperatures.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,536 of 12,550
Yes that is a challenge. Also to ensure it is easy to remove, clean and will not damage the headband or impact shape. Plus good for hot and cold room temperatures.
Yes indeed. Easy to remove wasn’t as important to me as I can never see myself selling my Elear - not for the used prices it’s going for today. There’s nothing for twice that price that comes close to it in terms of SQ, and now with the suspension strap, it has the comfort to match.

Room temperature - I find leather just better than any other material for the skin/hair contact parts of a headphone. It might be slightly hotter than fabric, but it’s just so much easier to clean and keep clean and in good condition. Fabric might wick away sweat, but at the cost of longevity and wear.

The tricky part was finding a way to do all the above without damaging the headphone or bending it out of shape. Luckily Focal left just enough space inside the logo covers on which to glue down the ends of the suspension strap. If not for that space it would have been all but impossible to make a strap that looked the part.

For future headphones all Focal needs to do is use the logo covers as grips for a suspension strap - similar to how I’ve done it but built to purpose rather than reverse engineered. The headband itself can then be made lighter and thinner, reducing the overall weight of the headphone.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #4,537 of 12,550
Check out the track "Q" by Luzia von Wyl Ensemble from the album "Throwing Coins." Realism with the Clear is such that the first few seconds made me turn my head to see what caused the noise in the room.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,539 of 12,550
Check out the track "Q" by Luzia von Wyl Ensemble from the album "Throwing Coins." Realism with the Clear is such that the first few seconds made me turn my head to see what caused the noise in the room.
I just tried listened to this via Tidal Hi-Fi w/Utopia and went to press pause as soon as I heard what sounded like marbles being dropped on a table.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,540 of 12,550
The Focal trade-in deal is back -- Utopia for $3k, Clear for $1.1k

Trade in any branded headphone to get the discount

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #4,541 of 12,550
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,542 of 12,550
Sep 19, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #4,543 of 12,550
Last night I started burning in my new Focal Clear Headphones. So I did listen to them before this for 1hour via my Chord Mojo and they sounded very flat, not very dynamic compared to other Focal Clear I listened to.

I have seen on this thread that recommendations have been made from 100 to 200+ burn in.

I really hope they do change quickly. I leave them running in continuously at very low volume playing Han Zimmer movie soundtracks.

Here is an update to my Focal Clear Headphones after letting them run in for 7 days, 24/7 .
During this period I have not listened to them.

Now have listened to them for 3 hours and these Headphones have come to life.
They sound like the other 3 Focal Clear Headphones which I listended to at Canjam and a Dealer showroom.

Description:
Incredibly dynamic.
Fast and punchy.
Best instrument seperation I have ever listened to on headphones. (Not tried Utopias).
Tonally pleasing and surpasses the HD650 to me.
Good bass extension without bleeding into mids.

Negatives:
I don’t have any negatives because I was looking for a contrasting headphone to my Sony Z1R.
So in contrast to the Clear, the Sony provide planner like bass and superb sound stage for Movies listening, and isolation.

These Focal Clear are a keeper. Worth the price.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #4,544 of 12,550
I recently did two things of note:
(1) Finished reading this entire thread from top to bottom
(2) Purchased the Clears

Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of information that is on display in the prior 303 pages. In particular, I would like to give a shout out to Phronesis and MTMECraig (as well as others) for their excellent music suggestions throughout this thread.

I am quite new to the Head-fi world and any listening impressions I could give would pale in comparison to those already present in this thread. Nevertheless, the Clears were my first foray into high-end audio, and I want to share some aspects of my NOOB experience on the off-chance that it is useful to someone who is similarly considering making the jump to $1000+ headphones for the first time.

In my opinion:
(a) Yes, it is worth it.
(b) The Clears will help you explore music you never knew you liked.
(c) A really good DAP is worth its weight in gold if you (like me) are starting with no equipment whatsoever.

By way of context, when I started reading Headfi, my only headphones were a pair of Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators (which are surprisingly well reviewed by Tyll from Innerfidelity). No DACs, amps, or hi-res sources to be found anywhere. Three months ago, I got pair of Focal Listen Wireless HPs ($300) for travel and was blown away by the detail retrieval and imaging compared to my old phones. Despite being thoroughly enamored, I continued researching more expensive HPs and developed a strong interest in the Clears. Auditioning a pair only fueled my lust.

As a total NOOB however, I had a few issues/questions:

First, is it REALLY worth $1500 (or whatever $1000+ bargain one finds)? That is literally 5x more expensive than anything I had purchased previously. Obviously, $1500 means different things to different people, but I literally cried the first time I listened to Sarah Jarosz’s “Build Me Up From Bones.” And this is coming from a guy who used to listen to 90% metal and dubstep. I wasn’t aware music could sound that good. (Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am a NOOB and am more easily impressed than many Headfiers. But still, holy smokes, they are good.)

Second, and relatedly, I did not listen to “traditional” audiophile music and I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to fully appreciate the Clears. If ALL you listen to is metal and electronic, then I think this concern is valid. Although it handles these genres perfectly well, you might be missing out on some of the Clear’s capabilities. Fortunately for me, I am actively looking to expand my musical horizons and the Clear just makes it way too easy. For example, acoustic guitar, Latin music, and jazz sound exceptional on the Clears, and I had never fully appreciated these instruments/genres prior to the Clears. It is just so easy and fun explore new genres when they are made to sound so good. I would imagine that this “ease of musical exploration” is not exclusive to the Clears, but it is worth mentioning.

Third, as a NOOB, I had never used anything other than a phone or a laptop to drive HPs. The truly vast number of Amp/DAC combos was extremely daunting and I was weary of making an expensive mistake. In the end, I opted for a quality DAP, the AK Kann. I believe that a high quality DAP is a good first step for a budding audiophile because it is flexible and simple. For example, the Kann can effectively drive almost any HP. It can travel (makes a significant difference in SQ on my Focal Listen Wireless HPs). It serves as a hi-res source that can play almost any type of file that a budding audiophile will come across as they begin to expand their music library. I’m sure there are much higher performance desktop setups, and I will likely purchase one eventually, but for now, I am enjoying my (entirely portable) bliss in every room of my house. I have no regrets, and would happily recommend this path to anyone who has no equipment, but wants to try out the high-end HP game while keeping complexity to a minimum.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4,545 of 12,550
I recently did two things of note:
(1) Finished reading this entire thread from top to bottom
(2) Purchased the Clears

Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of information that is on display in the prior 303 pages. In particular, I would like to give a shout out to Phronesis and MTMECraig (as well as others) for their excellent music suggestions throughout this thread.

I am quite new to the Head-fi world and any listening impressions I could give would pale in comparison to those already present in this thread. Nevertheless, the Clears were my first foray into high-end audio, and I want to share some aspects of my NOOB experience on the off-chance that it is useful to someone who is similarly considering making the jump to $1000+ headphones for the first time.

In my opinion:
(a) Yes, it is worth it.
(b) The Clears will help you explore music you never knew you liked.
(c) A really good DAP is worth its weight in gold if you (like me) are starting with no equipment whatsoever.

By way of context, when I started reading Headfi, my only headphones were a pair of Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators (which are surprisingly well reviewed by Tyll from Innerfidelity). No DACs, amps, or hi-res sources to be found anywhere. Three months ago, I got pair of Focal Listen Wireless HPs ($300) for travel and was blown away by the detail retrieval and imaging compared to my old phones. Despite being thoroughly enamored, I continued researching more expensive HPs and developed a strong interest in the Clears. Auditioning a pair only fueled my lust.

As a total NOOB however, I had a few issues/questions:

First, is it REALLY worth $1500 (or whatever $1000+ bargain one finds)? That is literally 5x more expensive than anything I had purchased previously. Obviously, $1500 means different things to different people, but I literally cried the first time I listened to Sarah Jarosz’s “Build Me Up From Bones.” And this is coming from a guy who used to listen to 90% metal and dubstep. I wasn’t aware music could sound that good. (Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am a NOOB and am more easily impressed than many Headfiers. But still, holy smokes, they are good.)

Second, and relatedly, I did not listen to “traditional” audiophile music and I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to fully appreciate the Clears. If ALL you listen to is metal and electronic, then I think this concern is valid. Although it handles these genres perfectly well, you might be missing out on some of the Clear’s capabilities. Fortunately for me, I am actively looking to expand my musical horizons and the Clear just makes it way too easy. For example, acoustic guitar, Latin music, and jazz sound exceptional on the Clears, and I had never fully appreciated these instruments/genres prior to the Clears. It is just so easy and fun explore new genres when they are made to sound so good. I would imagine that this “ease of musical exploration” is not exclusive to the Clears, but it is worth mentioning.

Third, as a NOOB, I had never used anything other than a phone or a laptop to drive HPs. The truly vast number of Amp/DAC combos was extremely daunting and I was weary of making an expensive mistake. In the end, I opted for a quality DAP, the AK Kann. I believe that a high quality DAP is a good first step for a budding audiophile because it is flexible and simple. For example, the Kann can effectively drive almost any HP. It can travel (makes a significant difference in SQ on my Focal Listen Wireless HPs). It serves as a hi-res source that can play almost any type of file that a budding audiophile will come across as they begin to expand their music library. I’m sure there are much higher performance desktop setups, and I will likely purchase one eventually, but for now, I am enjoying my (entirely portable) bliss in every room of my house. I have no regrets, and would happily recommend this path to anyone who has no equipment, but wants to try out the high-end HP game while keeping complexity to a minimum.

Congratulations DoubleKong. I think these are my end game, the search is over after trying so many Headphones in the past 3 years.

Now we can sit back and enjoy the music and forget about listening to the driving technologies.

Great you found a good pairing DAP.

Hopefully Focal doesn’t launch a successor model soon which can spoil all this.

Also - MTMECraig has been very helpful to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back