Focal Clear headphones
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #4,381 of 12,548
Does anyone have any comparisons between these and the Stax 007mk2? I'm looking at selling the Stax and getting something a bit more mobile so I can at use in different rooms.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #4,383 of 12,548
I tried a pair of Clear's recently and I think I may have experienced what others have in that when playing anything with deep bass extension, I would hear an audible... I wouldn't say distortion, but it sounded like the "speakers" were reaching maximum excursion. Mind you, that while I wasn't playing them at low levels, I didn't think I was pushing them to their limits, either. I sent the pair back soon thereafter.

Might be that driver issue everyone talks about. I hear none of that even when listening as loud as I can handle on mine (ouch!).

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #4,384 of 12,548
Might be that driver issue everyone talks about. I hear none of that even when listening as loud as I can handle on mine (ouch!).
It's not a driver issue, it's a design "feature" of the Elear/Elex/Clear/Utopia (officially from Focal). Similar to 'excursion' in the speaker world, and only caused by excessive very low frequency sounds played with too much volume.

The reason some people think there's something 'wrong' with their headphones is that in some cases a track can be so full of low end (mainly sub bass but also low mid bass), that the rest of the song doesn't seem loud enough to clip, and yet it does. It's the bass that does the clipping. You can turn down the low end in those tracks using EQ and the 'clipping' - which is actually a mechanical warning, not clipping in the true sense of the word - will likely go away.

In my testing, aside from one or two crazy cinematic or hip hop tracks with WAY too much bass to be good for anyone's ears, my Elear is just fine. If you're hitting the excursion point, chances are you're damaging your hearing. Even if other headphones can comfortably handle that level of bass, your ears shouldn't have to.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #4,385 of 12,548
It's not a driver issue, it's a design "feature" of the Elear/Elex/Clear/Utopia (officially from Focal). Similar to 'excursion' in the speaker world, and only caused by excessive very low frequency sounds played with too much volume.

The reason some people think there's something 'wrong' with their headphones is that in some cases a track can be so full of low end (mainly sub bass but also low mid bass), that the rest of the song doesn't seem loud enough to clip, and yet it does. It's the bass that does the clipping. You can turn down the low end in those tracks using EQ and the 'clipping' - which is actually a mechanical warning, not clipping in the true sense of the word - will likely go away.

In my testing, aside from one or two crazy cinematic or hip hop tracks with WAY too much bass to be good for anyone's ears, my Elear is just fine. If you're hitting the excursion point, chances are you're damaging your hearing. Even if other headphones can comfortably handle that level of bass, your ears shouldn't have to.

I’m aware it’ll do that, I’ve just read about claims of hearing those noises regardless of the track at normal listening volumes but I haven’t experienced them. Thanks for clearing that up!

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #4,386 of 12,548
I’m aware it’ll do that, I’ve just read about claims of hearing those noises regardless of the track at normal listening volumes but I haven’t experienced them. Thanks for clearing that up!
Yes, if you're experiencing excursion at normal listening volumes (say below 85dB) then there's definitely an issue, I would say. But first check if those same tracks 'clip' on other headphones at the same normal volume. Also, relatively low impedance headphones like the Focals (and especially the Clear) will do weird stuff with bass if hooked up to a high impedance source (like a HT player's headphone out, or an OTL tube amp). Ideally they should be paired with a low impedance (<1ohm) amp.

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #4,387 of 12,548
Would any clear owners be able to do me a favor. I am interested in purchasing a pair of these headphones, but I physically can't have the driver making contact with the middle of my ear for medical reasons. Could someone measure the depth of the pad to the driver while mounted or the pad off plus how far the driver is recessed?

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #4,388 of 12,548
Yes, if you're experiencing excursion at normal listening volumes (say below 85dB) then there's definitely an issue, I would say. But first check if those same tracks 'clip' on other headphones at the same normal volume. Also, relatively low impedance headphones like the Focals (and especially the Clear) will do weird stuff with bass if hooked up to a high impedance source (like a HT player's headphone out, or an OTL tube amp). Ideally they should be paired with a low impedance (<1ohm) amp.
Was just about to comment this. Happened to a friend of mine’s Elear, he switched to a low-impedance amp and the clipping went away. When I play the Clear on a high-impedance amp I can easily hear that the bass and low mids are elevated considerably, although not enough to make them clip in my case. Don’t know if that’s because the clipping occurs at different dB on different pairs (which would be Focal’s fault) or if I just listen more quiet than others here

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,389 of 12,548
Would any clear owners be able to do me a favor. I am interested in purchasing a pair of these headphones, but I physically can't have the driver making contact with the middle of my ear for medical reasons. Could someone measure the depth of the pad to the driver while mounted or the pad off plus how far the driver is recessed?

Uncompressed the depth of the earcup is about 25mm. Now, the issue of how much clearance this gives to your outer ear (when worn) is tougher to measure. I wore the headphones while looking at myself in the mirror (no easy task). Then I pressed in on an earcup until I felt the driver touch my ear. I tried to estimate the travel distance. I noticed that it varied between left & right. I guess my right ear sticks out a bit more as that had roughly 5mm of clearance and maybe 8mm or so, for my left ear. But, of course everyone's ears will likely be different.

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #4,390 of 12,548
Just got the Clear's a week ago. Previously had the Elear's and Focal essentially fixed everything that was wrong with them: the sound, the cables / accessories, and the look.

It's a shame, my Clear's are already creaking at the left and right hinges and I've been babying them the entire time. The right hinge started creaking first. I had two different pairs of Elear's and they both creaked as well. They need to fix the design...

Besides that, I'm going to be happy with this until I save up money towards a Utopia 2... whenever that'll be.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #4,391 of 12,548
Uncompressed the depth of the earcup is about 25mm. Now, the issue of how much clearance this gives to your outer ear (when worn) is tougher to measure. I wore the headphones while looking at myself in the mirror (no easy task). Then I pressed in on an earcup until I felt the driver touch my ear. I tried to estimate the travel distance. I noticed that it varied between left & right. I guess my right ear sticks out a bit more as that had roughly 5mm of clearance and maybe 8mm or so, for my left ear. But, of course everyone's ears will likely be different.

Thanks a ton. That puts it right in the realm of possibly wearable for me. I'll definitely have to try one out.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #4,392 of 12,548
Just got the Clear's a week ago. Previously had the Elear's and Focal essentially fixed everything that was wrong with them: the sound, the cables / accessories, and the look.

It's a shame, my Clear's are already creaking at the left and right hinges and I've been babying them the entire time. The right hinge started creaking first. I had two different pairs of Elear's and they both creaked as well. They need to fix the design...

Besides that, I'm going to be happy with this until I save up money towards a Utopia 2... whenever that'll be.
I am interested in the creaking sound some people say they have. I have the Utopia on my head and I have to get the volume super duper low to hear any creak whenever I jerk my head around. When I turn it up to more of a rock out level, I can practically headbang the headphones off my head and not hear anything other then Jethro Tull playing (“Minstrel in the gallery” to be exact) What are your findings about it?

And yes, there needs to be a Utopia 2 for sure.:metal:
Thanks a ton. That puts it right in the realm of possibly wearable for me. I'll definitely have to try one out.
I’m sorry to hear about your ear problem :frowning2:. I hope that doesn’t stop you from being able to enjoy these bad boys.:fingers_crossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back