Focal Clear headphones
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #3,857 of 12,550
@Luke Thomas, I have an LCD 2F for sale that I haven't listed yet if you're interested.

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #3,858 of 12,550
Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like I would be safe with either the Auralic or the Questyle. Now I just need to decide which one!

Hey, if you don’t have/need an analog source then you can take a look at Questyle CMA400i - its fantastic!

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #3,860 of 12,550
Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like I would be safe with either the Auralic or the Questyle. Now I just need to decide which one!
You should have a look at the Pathos Aurium.
A fantastic hybrid amp which pairs perfectly with the Clear.
Both are champions of transparency and realism!
I speak by experience.

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #3,861 of 12,550
I just bought HD800s from them today! Over the years I've also bought LCD-3, Mojo, Rega Dac, and a Salamander home theater stand from them. I love that place, Jorge-Anthony is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

They don't carry Focal, but are considering it. If they ever do, I'm sure I'll end up buying either the Utopia or Clear from them. I prefer to support local business whenever possible.

I'm with you on supporting local business. Once I get past my IEM purchase I'll probably make another trip to see where I go next for open cans, though I did get to audition the Elear and Utopia at th AV Boutique in Vegas and I feel like a Focal will be my next set.

On an unrelated note, have there been any Dallas meet ups recently?

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,862 of 12,550
I'm with you on supporting local business. Once I get past my IEM purchase I'll probably make another trip to see where I go next for open cans, though I did get to audition the Elear and Utopia at th AV Boutique in Vegas and I feel like a Focal will be my next set.

On an unrelated note, have there been any Dallas meet ups recently?

I've never been to a meet up, hopefully someone can put one together soon.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,864 of 12,550
I picked up the Clear yesterday for trying at home. In the shop, I briefly tried it back to back with the Elear, and found the Clear to have more clarity and brightness, a bit less pronounced bass, and an overall more 'neutral' sound. In the few hours I've tried it at home, it's not quite grabbing me the way the Utopia and Elear did, but I need to give it more time. One factor could simply be that I'm getting a bit tired of critical listening, and maybe need to pull back and listen more casually for a while.

I just spent over an hour doing back to back comparison of the Clear and Utopia. I had both running out of my Hugo 2 at the same time, and switching time between them was 2-3 s. To my ears, the sound is very similar. The Utopia is a touch brighter and has an increment more clarity and resolution. So I could say that the Utopia is little better, but not a lot, maybe 5% (not that we can really quantify that sort of thing). On some tracks, I actually prefer the Clear, since the brightness of the Utopia can give it an edge which sounds a bit artificial. But the added clarity of the Utopia is an asset for classical music, which may be the best genre for the Utopia.

I still haven't decided whether I'll buy the Elear, Clear, or Utopia, but right now I'm leaning towards the Clear.

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,865 of 12,550
I just spent over an hour doing back to back comparison of the Clear and Utopia. I had both running out of my Hugo 2 at the same time, and switching time between them was 2-3 s.
I doubt I'd be able to evaluate between 2 headphones switching between them 2-3sec for 1hr (if that's what you meant?) I think I'd have a much better evaluation listening to each for several days, then switching between them, and then repeating.

PS: I had both in home, and feel they're 2 totally different headphones...with both being very good at what they offer, so it comes down to personal your preference.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3,866 of 12,550
I doubt I'd be able to evaluate between 2 headphones switching between them 2-3sec for 1hr (if that's what you meant?) I think I'd have a much better evaluation listening to each for several days, then switching between them, and then repeating.

PS: I had both in home, and feel they're 2 totally different headphones...with both being very good at what they offer, so it comes down to personal your preference.

The time switching from one to the other was 2-3 secs. The time listening to each before switching varied and was generally a lot longer. Aside from the back to back comparisons, I also listened to the Utopia alone for several days, then the Elear for a few days, and now the Clear for the past few days. I'd like my decision to be easier because one is substantially better overall than the others, but I'm not finding that any of the three wins on that basis.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,868 of 12,550
The time switching from one to the other was 2-3 secs. The time listening to each before switching varied and was generally a lot longer. Aside from the back to back comparisons, I also listened to the Utopia alone for several days, then the Elear for a few days, and now the Clear for the past few days. I'd like my decision to be easier because one is substantially better overall than the others, but I'm not finding that any of the three wins on that basis.

You must not really have an overpowering FR preference, huh? Usually it's pretty easy with Utopia being brighter, Elear warmer, and Clear right down the middle.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #3,870 of 12,550
You must not really have an overpowering FR preference, huh? Usually it's pretty easy with Utopia being brighter, Elear warmer, and Clear right down the middle.
It seems so. IMO, the Clear, being right down the middle with good technicality and excellent tonality balance, would fit him best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back