Focal Clear headphones
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #332 of 12,550
Other than review units there are no CLEAR headphones out in the world. Anyone claiming to have a set already as a non-reviewer set is not telling the truth.
CH received two units and sold them a couple of days ago. The owner himself kept none

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #333 of 12,550
I thought these things were built like tanks? Reading the Verge review he makes it sound as if it is not up to snuff for an headphone costing so much. Then again, the more money I have paid for some headphones the more I have been disappointed with their construction vs cheap headphones like the M50x Audio Technica and anything form V-Moda that are ridiculously well built.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #334 of 12,550
CH received two units and sold them a couple of days ago. The owner himself kept none
I have my trust in Focals CEO saying there are no units out there other than reviewer samples. Thank you for telling who had them. I have forwarded that info to Focal.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #335 of 12,550
I have my trust in Focals CEO saying there are no units out there other than reviewer samples. Thank you for telling who had them. I have forwarded that info to Focal.

I don’t know where you get that info, if its up to date or whatever, Focal Clear headphones are already available for at least a couple of days now. Quoting a message I got personally from Focal on Monday:

"Hi, Clear headphones are already available. This model is currently being delivered in all countries.
Please contact directly your dealer to know the exact date of availability in your country as ...“

You can also forward this to focal

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #336 of 12,550
I don’t know where you get that info, if its up to date or whatever, Focal Clear headphones are already available for at least a couple of days now. Quoting a message I got personally from Focal on Monday:

"Hi, Clear headphones are already available. This model is currently being delivered in all countries.
Please contact directly your dealer to know the exact date of availability in your country as ...“

You can also forward this to focal

Read my post. I told you where my info came from

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #338 of 12,550
Headphones comes first in my opinion. Since they all have different sound signatures you would want the amp to correspond with it. When you spend considerable time in the hobby is when you get an amp or dac that you try to pair cans too. This usually happens when you do a major upgrade of amp or DAC, and you already have have a large pool of info to pull from to choose the right can.

Man Mojo 2?? don't get me amped up... Hugo2 has already been a huge release for Chord. Mojo 2 info would be awesome.
Mojo is in any case Chord's littlle cheapest product and very popular and perfect that I wonder if Chord would like to release another Mojo 2 version :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #339 of 12,550
I sa
Well, if you actually heard the difference yourself and came to that conclusion, then I have no reason to doubt you. I don't have the funds to compare with such high end gear, so I can only go off of what I've read here and my own experience with gear under the $1K price range.

Unfortunately, I can't help you much on the DAC side of things. I opted out of desktop DACs for a high end DAP, so that I can just output to an amp. When I was discussing your current set-up, I was mostly talking about your amp. But since I see you have a Modi 2 Uber, you could go Multi-bit. I would research how much of improvement that really is though.

An interesting option would be to get the Jotunheim DAC/AMP ($500), so you can have a bright amp to complement your warm amp (LC) and you can make use of the Balanced inputs/outputs. You would be running a full balanced set-up.
I was actually thinking of getting the jotunheim with the dac too. I'll have to wait and see lol. Man it's a tough hobby when you're a college student .

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #340 of 12,550
Mojo is in any case Chord's littlle cheapest product and very popular and perfect that I wonder if Chord would like to release another Mojo 2 version :)

I wouldn't hold my breath...

No it's not even at the pre ideas stage yet. Mojo's sound quality and musicality, at it's price point, I think is perfect, and you can't improve on perfection... What I mean by this, is that anything I can possibly do today to improve musicality or SQ would cost many more $$$ - and that would defeat the point of Mojo.

Mojo is the design I celebrate the most - getting state of the art measurements, sound quality, and musicality in a cost effective design is not easy...

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #341 of 12,550
The consensus seems to be that the DAC in the Jot isn't the most amazing DAC, even though it's balanced. It's probably pretty close to the DAC he already has.

I stand by my first recommendation, audition the Clear, see if you like it. If you like it enough to purchase then grab it and wait a bit for more impressions to come out, that way you can look to others for DACs/Amps that work well with the Clear.
I wish there were some high-end audio shops in south Florida. All the ones that have high-end stuff just speakers and no headphones. Bestbuy use to have audeze stuff but they don't anymore. Thanks for the info tho. Maybe I'll try to make it to the canjam in New York next year and just listen to all of them

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #342 of 12,550
I wish there were some high-end audio shops in south Florida. All the ones that have high-end stuff just speakers and no headphones. Bestbuy use to have audeze stuff but they don't anymore. Thanks for the info tho. Maybe I'll try to make it to the canjam in New York next year and just listen to all of them
Definitely, do that Canjam NYC was an awesome time for me earlier this year. Just you, all the gear you can think of, and many crazy others like ourselves. lol

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #343 of 12,550

This is something I've been wanting to do as well. I recently made a purchase/risk to buy a headphone brand new (warranty and all), because it sounded exactly what I was looking for from the impressions online. Turns out, I didn't like it and now I'm losing out of $300 (at most I hope...) trying to resell it. I'll stick to used when purchasing over $1k again... I need to see what's the closest to GA and head to one myself.

As for DAC's, I'll send you a PM so I this thread won't get too off topic. I did some browsing.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #344 of 12,550
I listened to the Focal Clear with the Sennheiser HDV820, and that combination is damn solid.. Im impressed with that combo to be honest.!! just a thumbs up for those who consider Focal Clear.
I also again - listened to Utopia, and I preferred the Clear to be honest. Seems like Focal has done a great product development on the Clear and for the price level its a winner!

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #345 of 12,550
I listened to the Focal Clear with the Sennheiser HDV820, and that combination is damn solid.. Im impressed with that combo to be honest.!! just a thumbs up for those who consider Focal Clear.
I also again - listened to Utopia, and I preferred the Clear to be honest. Seems like Focal has done a great product development on the Clear and for the price level its a winner!
What are your reasons for this preference? I'm talking about it going against the Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back