Focal Clear headphones
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #12,136 of 12,651
I guess we read two different reviews. Professional, written with clarity, and would be of great benefit to someone considering one or the other. Obviously, Your Mileage Did Vary!

Thanks a lot :) I'm working on a separate HD800S and a Clear MG review as well, so these comparisons are not meant to go too much in depth.

As of the affiliate links, I literary started them last week. I think it's better than ads or sponsors, what do you think?

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #12,137 of 12,651
Thanks a lot :) I'm working on a separate HD800S and a Clear MG review as well, so these comparisons are not meant to go too much in depth.

As of the affiliate links, I literary started them last week. I think it's better than ads or sponsors, what do you think?
Concur!

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #12,138 of 12,651
I was definitely turned off when I saw the Amazon affiliate link. In terms of the substance, it read like a typical Headfi "review" - pleasant, easy to read, somewhat entertaining but lacking any deep or critical analysis. This is why I said it read like an ad piece - you see "reviews" like this from print magazines, dealers and manufacturers.

What kind of critical analysis did you expect?

The Clear MG has better tonality and bass presence, is less fatiguing and more intimate but lacking in detail and sound-stage compared to the Sennheiser HD800S, which can be anemic and fatiguing. This is consistent across the amplifiers I tried. That's basically the essence - but it's dependant on the tracks which comes up at top - and that's always a subjective thing.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #12,139 of 12,651
What kind of critical analysis did you expect?

The Clear MG has better tonality and bass presence, is less fatiguing and more intimate but lacking in detail and sound-stage compared to the Sennheiser HD800S, which can be anemic and fatiguing. This is consistent across the amplifiers I tried.
You didn’t go into many of the following items (some are covered but on a surface level), among other things.

Visceral impact
Mid range purity
Micro dynamics at different segments of FR
Macro dynamics at different segments of FR
Holographic
Bass definition
Sub bass
Resolution
Space rendition / atmosphere
Soundstage
Distortion
Treble realism
Sound density at different segments of FR
Timbre at different segments of FR
PRaT
Body/weight

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #12,140 of 12,651
You didn’t go into many of the following items, among other things.

Visceral impact
Mid range purity
Holographic
Bass definition
Sub bass
Resolution
Soundstage
Distortion
Treble realism
PRAaT
Body/weight
I have NEVER in my life read a review that mentioned even most of those things. If that is your measuring stick for a complete review you must be frustrated regularly?

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #12,141 of 12,651
You didn’t go into many of the following items (some are covered but on a surface level), among other things.

Visceral impact
Mid range purity
Holographic
Bass definition
Sub bass
Resolution
Soundstage
Distortion
Treble realism
PRaT
Body/weight

Well, I'll take your feedback and thanks for the list. I'm covering those aspects more in my depth in my separate reviews. However, I am working on doing less work intensive reviews because it's too d@rn exhausting. I try to focus on what's the main experience, and the differences that significantly stands out :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #12,142 of 12,651
I have NEVER in my life read a review that mentioned even most of those things. If that is your measuring stick for a complete review you must be frustrated regularly?
I have given up on almost all print/online publications and YTers at this point. Forums are the only place where you can get some real feedback - if you know the members well. I have also stopped buying anything headphone/audio related unless I have heard it multiple times IRL with different gear in different environment with my own playlist.

Edit: okay, I bought NDH30 blind but I saw it as an "in-home trial" with Amazon's return policy.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #12,143 of 12,651
I have given up on almost all print/online publications and YTers at this point. Forums are the only place where you can get some real feedback - if you know the members well. I have also stopped buying anything headphone/audio related unless I have heard it multiple times IRL with different gear in different environment with my own playlist.
Wow, if that was my standard I would never buy anything ever again. There are no worthwhile shops near me, so I research like crazy, buy blind and hope for the best.

Which is why I have sold on about 35 of the 45 headphones I have bought in the last ten years. :smile:

That's why I stick in Mid-Fi. The losses are less painful, usually.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #12,144 of 12,651
Wow, if that was my standard I would never buy anything ever again. There are no worthwhile shops near me, so I research like crazy, buy blind and hope for the best.

Which is why I have sold on about 35 of the 45 headphones I have bought in the last ten years. :smile:

Oh wow. I would pull my hair out if I had to go through that many cans. Between CanJam, Axpona and local dealer (used to be dealers) I get my needs covered. I also pop into Audio46 for a few hours whenever I am in NYC if there are new cans.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #12,145 of 12,651
Oh wow. I would pull my hair out if I had to go through that many cans. Between CanJam, Axpona and local dealer (used to be dealers) I get my needs covered. I also pop into Audio46 for a few hours whenever I am in NYC if there are new cans.
None of those are an option living in eastern Canada.
And I am not going to drop $1K to $2K to attend one of the big shows.

It was fun trying all those 'phones out and I try not to not to think about all the losses on resale. :grin:

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #12,146 of 12,651

Sometimes, ‘mid-fi’ can really bowl you over. A mix of actual quality and the surpassing of tempered expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #12,147 of 12,651
Sometimes, ‘mid-fi’ can really bowl you over. A mix of actual quality and the surpassing of tempered expectations. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂
I am very happy here. I have about ten headphones that I like, to different degrees. I enjoy the variety and I don't have a bad one in the bunch. :L3000:

I am happy enough that I can't ever imagine dropping $2K, $3K, $4K on a set of headphones.

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #12,148 of 12,651
I am very happy here. I have about ten headphones that I like, to different degrees. I enjoy the variety and I don't have a bad one in the bunch. :L3000:

I am happy enough that I can't ever imagine dropping $2K, $3K, $4K on a set of headphones.
Besides, 💸 =/= 🙂; often, 💸 == 😒 + 🧟‍♀️

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #12,150 of 12,651
It's all (??) about getting a really good deal on the expensive cans. Thy patience shall serve thee in thyme.
‘A really good deal on the expensive cans’ is not so good - not good at all - if their sound is not to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back