Focal Clear headphones
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #7,816 of 12,550
Fair enough. I am thinkin' about Dekoni pads too - Elite Velour based on Headphone Show/Resolve reviews recommendations. Maybe even more about “Dekoni Audio Nuggets” for headband. Thant one looks pretty neat and effective and comfy based on the reviews. The only issie seems to be the pretty lame/weak adhesive.

Yeah after watching the recent swapping pads video I would say the Elite Velour pads as well, I’ve been looking online and in the UK I’ve seen replacement Focal Clear pads for around £90.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #7,817 of 12,550
Btw guys, don't forget these are high-end headphone, and therefore very revealing of the overall chain signature, on a level that reminds me of the HD800, but unlike those, the Clear will sound pretty decent out of anything. However, a synergetic setup will simply make the Clear otherworldly.
I agree. I just don't get how can you use these straight out of a phone. Seriously, I tried with Galaxy S9 for the chuckles and guess how it sounded? Horrible. Not enough volume even on max in Neutron player, anemic....weak.
I'm using them with Yggdrasil A2 and freshly installed Unison board and THX AAA 789 amp or Jot....in fully balanced mode along with my new litz 8 wire silver/copper cable combination. I love how “non-existent” is the cable - light, ergonomic and even nice to look at. Compare it to stiff original cable.
How easily you can tell the difference between phone, multibit or delta-sigma is pretty impressive. Reminds me my HD650 which is fantastic in this regard.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #7,818 of 12,550
I just don't get how can you use these straight out of a phone. Seriously, I tried with Galaxy S9 for the chuckles and guess how it sounded? Horrible. Not enough volume even on max in Neutron player, anemic....weak.
I find this odd. Either there is something wrong with your S9 hardware headphone output, or the Neutron player is limiting the output volume, or you've set the S9's Media Volume Limit to a lower threshold so the max volume is severely under powered. Playing my Clear from my Note 9 using Musicolet app and Spotify is already getting my plenty loud at only half max volume setting. And this makes sense given the efficiency of the Clear being at 104 dB/mW at only 55 Ohms - which plenty of common portable devices will have more than enough volume headroom.

Comparing the playback from my Note 9 and JDS Element/iFi Micro BL at approximately the same volume (using test tones prior to playing music), there's really not much of difference between them, negligible probably to untrained ears.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #7,819 of 12,550
I find this odd. Either there is something wrong with your S9 hardware headphone output, or the Neutron player is limiting the output volume, or you've set the S9's Media Volume Limit to a lower threshold so the max volume is severely under powered. Playing my Clear from my Note 9 using Musicolet app and Spotify is already getting my plenty loud at only half max volume setting. And this makes sense given the efficiency of the Clear being at 104 dB/mW at only 55 Ohms - which plenty of common portable devices will have more than enough volume headroom.

Comparing the playback from my Note 9 and JDS Element/iFi Micro BL at approximately the same volume (using test tones prior to playing music), there's really not much of difference between them, negligible probably to untrained ears.
Neutron is not limiting it at all and my S9 is just fine. All pre-amp contols are turned off. I prefer early masterings with tons of dynamic range or vinyl rips over modern dynamically squashed and compressed mess where you can get volume with 10dB over zero when measured in replay gain....Just my preference each to their own...The true test for me is original nice mastered early pressing played on decent volume with enough headroom. Phone amp capabilities are simply nowhere near enough for me to pull this off and my library is full of such stuff.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #7,820 of 12,550
I have not noticed any clipping with my Clears playing the Telarc 1812 Overture with real cannons will definitely show this if you play it loud without enough headroom I am using the Asgard 3 with multibit card so more than enough power.

Well i just have time now to tested with that song loudly today and i do not find any clipping too, just weird this just happened on certain specific bass track..

Try "2049" track from "Blade Runner 2049" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer in first 30 seconds, thats the best tested track i found to detect clipping, mine definitely clipping on those track if i play loudly enough :)

I tested it with DAP, ibasso DX160 on high gain on balance and volume 61 and above, definitely clipping there,i already complained this before to Focal Official, they insisted it's normal to have clipping on certain track, they suggest lowered volume, well it did fix, but it's kindda bugging me till now.

I've never had mine clip either. 100db peaks with EDM and the Clears just bang clean articulate bass. The 100db peaks was intentional when the clipping issue was discussed months ago to see if it would happen and never did. My normal listening level is generally around the 85db peak mark.

Thanks for the reassurance! I had to measure my amp with a multimeter because I realized I was killing my hearing getting lost in the Clears. Never been so happy with bass.

I'd definitely recommend getting the Pro's due to the more durable color and extra set of pads. Other's would probably agree.

I just wondering have you guys tried "2049" track from blade runner 2049 soundtrack, i found my clear definitely clipping on those track on first 30 second, not all bass track affected for clipping issue

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #7,821 of 12,550
Well i just have time now to tested with that song loudly today and i do not find any clipping too, just weird this just happened on certain specific bass track..

Try "2049" track from "Blade Runner 2049" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer in first 30 seconds, thats the best tested track i found to detect clipping, mine definitely clipping on those track if i play loudly enough :)
Sure Zimmer for the bass torture! Of course add ”Why So Serious” bass around 3:27 for cinema grade subs yeah super low.... Then Kendrick Lamar - DNA (Just wait for the countdown!), Verse and Bishop - Fifth Of Whiskey (Banshee Soundtrack), DJ Shadow - Three Ralphs...Try any of these and if they can handle them ok you have a pair with good tolerancies. Bingo!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #7,822 of 12,550
Sure Zimmer for the bass torture! Of course add ”Why So Serious” bass around 3:27 for cinema grade subs yeah super low.... Then Kendrick Lamar - DNA (Just wait for the countdown!), Verse and Bishop - Fifth Of Whiskey (Banshee Soundtrack), DJ Shadow - Three Ralphs...Try any of these and if they can handle them ok you have a pair with good tolerancies. Bingo!

Why so serious - no clipping (same volume used as I listened "2049")
Kendrick Lamar - no clipping too
Verse and Bishop - same, no clipping
DJ Shadow - no clipping as well

Like my conclusion still, not all bass track clipping... only certain track

Clipping track so far on my Clear (just this two for obvious) :

1. "2049" by Zimmer
2. "Coliseum" by Omniboi

Same volume, same gear used with same volume level and same setting, that both track didnot clipping on my other headphone, my conclusion still the same, only on certain specific track, those two i mention above definitely, the clipping can be happened obviously, lowering volume can fix this issue however...

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #7,823 of 12,550
Why so serious - no clipping (same volume used as I listened "2049")
Kendrick Lamar - no clipping too
Verse and Bishop - same, no clipping
DJ Shadow - no clipping as well

Like my conclusion still, not all bass track clipping... only certain track

Clipping track so far on my Clear (just this two for obvious) :

1. "2049" by Zimmer
2. "Coliseum" by Omniboi

Same volume, same gear used with same volume level and same setting, that both track didnot clipping on my other headphone, my conclusion still the same, only on certain specific track, those two i mention above definitely, the clipping can be happened obviously, lowering volume can fix this issue however...

Interesting. I have no idea if my pair (3 seems to be my lucky number) is that good but even Coliseum (some smooth-ass bass nice!) or 2049 - (total low rumble) are not clipping on half volume on my jot with internal DAC all maxed out on volume in win mixer and youtube volume....I feel I can go even further.
btw the amp is in low gain mode.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #7,824 of 12,550
Interesting. I have no idea if my pair (3 seems to be my lucky number) is that good but even Coliseum (some smooth-ass bass nice!) or 2049 - (total low rumble) are not clipping on half volume on my jot with internal DAC all maxed out on volume in win mixer and youtube volume....I feel I can go even further.
btw the amp is in low gain mode.

Yeah, i bet it will clipped too on 60-80% or beyond perhaps, same happened to me on my desktop setup on low gain, i had other headphone that are not clipping on that volume range, but i wished they produced sound as beatiful as clear, i have not found it yet, and since focal official said this thing can be considered normal, i guess i can live with adjusting volume on certain track i have mentioned or probably some certain specific track in the future (unless somehow in the future they can offer a solution for this, that would be perfect, i wished).

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #7,825 of 12,550
There are plenty of over modulated Hollywood movie sound tracks just give U-571 a listen in the depth charge scene it gives my HSU v-15 a work out that the 16hz test disc that was supplied with the sub does not. What I have found is the Clears seem to dig deeper in Hz than any headphone I have had so far.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #7,826 of 12,550
The Arya and Z1R go quite a bit deeper than the Clear, but the Clear is on-par with most other high-end headphones. I actually wish it was a little brighter and less bassy.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #7,829 of 12,550
I've had the Elite Velour pads for about a week now. They add bass extension and weight, and the upper mids are a little smoothed off. Overall I like them.
Thanks for confirmation. Now I will definitely get them along with Dekoni Nuggets...can't wait.
Yeah after watching the recent swapping pads video I would say the Elite Velour pads as well, I’ve been looking online and in the UK I’ve seen replacement Focal Clear pads for around £90.

Are these the real deal for sure? It iseems like a dream compared to 200 euros on their own site or anywhere else. If so, do they have red variation for Pro version?! I can't find anything...sadly..

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #7,830 of 12,550
According to Dekoni's website, they are returnable (I bought them on Amazon US). I'm keeping them. My spouse commented that I am paying for the nice box they came in. Well, at least I didn't pay $200 for earpads.

It might be my particular pair, but the snaps on the Dekoni pads are a little narrower than the Focal pads. The Dekoni's seat tightly, but they require less of a pull to remove than the stock pads.

I'd previously removed the stock pads so that I could get a serial number to qualify for the Focal Arche coupon, but I decided against buying the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back