Focal Clear headphones
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #7,502 of 12,550
Sennheiser I also have it,
If that’s the case it isn’t the headphone, it’s somewhere else in your chain or the actual source recording.

I run into this with post Malone recordings, lots of weird pops and clipping type sounds. Can’t listen to some of his tracks on good setups

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #7,503 of 12,550
I listened to the song several times and even used an eq to bump up the bass a few dB. But nothing out of the ordinary happens. No bass shooting from my right cup, everything sounds fine, just a deep bass at the time codes you mentioned from both cups.
It looks like you have a bad driver.
I just tried it myself. Same track at some resolution through Roon via my RME-DAC and then into my Pathos Aurium. I use Oratory1990's EQ setting with my Clear, but without his excessive bass setting. No distortion under usual settings, even at quite high volume. But when I crank up the bass on my RME - which I think defaults to 80hz - then yes, it starts to clip. I doubt very much it's a bad driver, and more likely just ill suited to your amp's super bass setting. In general, though, this album not great in terms of dynamic range. You can tell it's a modern master designed for streaming. I have 32/192 vinyl rips of their previous live albums, and they sound much cleaner - no distortion even in the heady parts.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #7,504 of 12,550
I'll get my Burson amps tomorrow, I'll try that one again to see if it shoots. But I think the bass with XBass is just too extreme.

Today I tried the same track with Highpower Gain plus 18db and XBass with the AEON2c, heard much louder and no problem with attack.

So I think it's really like the German tester said, because of the dynamic driver and the Focal which goes down to 10 and then with amplification simply comes to the limit. With other titles I did not have this problem, so I do not assume that the driver is defective. Only extreme recording, extreme bass guitar, in addition almost too strong amplifier.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #7,505 of 12,550
I’ve been auditioning a pair of LCD-X and because I have the clears, I’m honestly not inclined to keep them. The clears deliver almost as much detail but without nearly the strained effort the x. The x sounds fuller across the spectrum, by comparison the clears sound far less present. The X is also much easier to drive, which I’m not actually a fan of due to the form factor (no one is taking these monsters on the go). If they could eat a bit more power in trade for a smoother presentation I think they might earn a spot in my collection. But no. Clears have essentially blocked the X by being incredibly balanced and detailed.

well ****, today is a different story. With a bit more noise around the house the fullness really makes a difference. Maybe these can coexist.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #7,506 of 12,550
That's not funny...:worried:

I'm listening to Pink Floyd Sorrow. Yes a bit loud and still the X-Bass on level 20Hz. Suddenly it shoots in the right driver, like there's a short circuit. Extremely loud, so that the hearing almost flies out. Could it be that the Clear can't handle such a bass and the drivers blow through and cause a short circuit?

I had to take the bass down massively, then it works without problems. But I've never had such an effect with headphones before.

Can someone who has streaming, listen to this piece of music with a little extra bass and see if it has a similar effect? Thanks a lot.

Yesterday I received my new Burson 3XP. Now tested with the Clear.

About the same volume as with the iCan. No problem here. No hitting and no "shoot". Nothing. Seems to be definitely that the iCan is just for the Clear to much.

The Burson and the Clear harmonize perfectly with each other. Sounds absolutely outstanding. The stage is a bit wider and more open like with the iCan. Tonally everything very balanced. Beautiful. It's a huge pleasure. You could almost say a dream team! I will use this combination more often now! :beyersmile:
IMG_0932.jpeg

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #7,510 of 12,550
Cheapest I have found them is $1,100 so far. So if you mean the used market here on Head-Fi, got it. Hifi shark showed me as such, but then not all of the sellers will mail to Japan. If you have other recommendations besides say, eBay, please let me know. Thank you for the feedback
Ah I didn't realize you were in Japan. Other than eBay, I'm not aware of a lot of stores selling used Focal Clear at that price. Maybe Audiogon but I rarely go there either. My apologies for not being of much help.

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #7,512 of 12,550
Are the focal clears liquid sounding as the 650s?i am looking for an upgrade, but i don't want to lose that liquid sound.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #7,514 of 12,550
What's your head amp and source?
Also, what kind of upgrade? :p
I have entry level stuff. I drive my HD 650s with the modi/magni combo. The sound is liquid and lush. I have tried many headphones and none of them had that liquid sound. I have been eyeing the clears as an upgrade for my HD 650s. I wonder if they have that liquid and non fatiguing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back