Focal Clear headphones
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #7,262 of 12,550
Sorry, not everything. That's not how things work. Hugo 2 isn't a good DAC with certain amps, and the headphone out isn't good with certain headphones, etc..

We need to tone down the Chord fanatics. Out of control. Maybe they being paid to post.

Well, I could say the same about RME ADI-2. Still dunno why these products got rave too much. People who rave them getting paid? Nah, i don't think so.

But perhaps the feel in real experience in their life, how RME able to upgrade their system closer to what they like. Perhaps these people have hard time comparing RME to other products, therefore they only able to rave RME. Perhaps, perhaps, and perhaps. No way any of us will understand the true intention of people raving about hundreds/thousands dollar audio gear that they just bought (what?).

Just because I don't like RME, should I start to tone down RME fanatics?

Personally,I love some chord products, included the pairing of Clear and Mojo for "budget" set up that easily become transportable set up too. I also liking Hugo 2's sound, but to be fair, to drive higher end headphones, a desktop system with similar cost could lead to produce better sound.

I support your statement that not all headphone /amp pairings will have better result with Hugo 2 though.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #7,265 of 12,550
plus... "spot-on" tonality is also relative. Who's to say that Utopia is not "spot on" with some music material out there? So for those tracks, would the Clear be too dark? You see, such question is difficult to answer in absolute terms because recordings don't all sound "spot-on". :)

In this sense, most likely Focal just wants to come up with another flavor that fills the gap in their current arsenal, and extend their reach to even more customers.

I like the the sound signature of Focal

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #7,268 of 12,550
You may just prefer the Clears. Lol. There's others who chose the Clears over the Utopia.

I do. It's a subjective preference, of course, but the timbre and tonality of the Clear is just perfect to me. I wouldn't ever trade that for a slight improvement in the technical aspects of sound.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #7,269 of 12,550
I’ve had mine for a week, they were open box and have a rattle in one ear cup. Outside of that these are the best headphones I’ve heard. Incredible balance, resolution, spacial imaging is quite good (gaming).

coming from all planars I was very concerned that a dynamic couldn’t produce the right sound for me. These deliver and then some. They even produce bass. Are these planars disguised as dynamics? 🤣

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #7,273 of 12,550
I’ve had mine for a week, they were open box and have a rattle in one ear cup. Outside of that these are the best headphones I’ve heard. Incredible balance, resolution, spacial imaging is quite good (gaming).

coming from all planars I was very concerned that a dynamic couldn’t produce the right sound for me. These deliver and then some. They even produce bass. Are these planars disguised as dynamics? 🤣

Hey! Got another question for you, it seems like we're getting/have similar setups haha! I've been thinking about grabbing a pair of Clears but was worried that I'd be missing the planar bass coming from the LCD. I love how extended the bass is. Not sure which planars you have, but I would love your thoughts.

I've heard the soundstage with the Clear seems claustrophobic which is something else I'm worried about, but not sure if its something that's made to be a bigger deal than it is.

Also figured maybe the comfort would be better than the LCDs.

If anyone else would like to chime in that'd be awesome as well!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #7,275 of 12,550
I can assure you the Clear are exquisitely comfortable. And as to sound stage? Claustrophobic just does not apply.

Agreed. Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop, I looked around the room a few times to see if my kids or wife walked in. Regardless, I'd take better sound over sound stage any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back