Focal Clear headphones
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #6,722 of 12,550
A compromise or sure, but it can be very pleasing none the less....

After all we have right and left ears on out heads, and headphones have right and left transducers.

In a room we sit back away from the speakers in that sweet spot, and dont move around or the illusion is somewhat diminished.

With headphones this is not an issue pretty much.

Its indeed hard to get that open spacious room filling experience with a set of headphones, but to many the headphone experience has gotten pretty nice.

Enjoy the music!
Alex

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #6,723 of 12,550
For me it's not the open room space like speakers , but I kinda get that same speaker like feeling around my head and body with nuances that extend out a few feet. Especially after a few cocktails and some other stuff lol.
There's 2 other cans that were able to do the same but not as balanced dimensionally with the realism of the Clears. That's the HD800 and HD700. The HEX v1 lacked depth and didn't have the same feel to me.

All subjective though. Just how I hear it.
A compromise or sure, but it can be very pleasing none the less....

After all we have right and left ears on out heads, and headphones have right and left transducers.

In a room we sit back away from the speakers in that sweet spot, and dont move around or the illusion is somewhat diminished.

With headphones this is not an issue pretty much.

Its indeed hard to get that open spacious room filling experience with a set of headphones, but to many the headphone experience has gotten pretty nice.

Enjoy the music!
Alex

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #6,727 of 12,550
Another vote for the Clears being superbly awesome! Finally something to replace my Beyer t1.2. With a TT2/HMS combo it really does sound great across the entire spectrum and with all types of music. Might not be the same sound signature but reminds me of when I first bought my HE-500's.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6,730 of 12,550
Focals Arche....and this one: Doug Savitsky created an amplifier specifically for Focals: the DSHA-3F
Which isnt made anymore...
Sure it is. He does them in batches. I got mine in ‘batch 3’. Folks are currently waiting for ‘batch 4’ deliveries.

Doug take orders for batch, then, when he gets ‘enough’ orders, he closes ordering and build that batch. I waited about 4 months for delivery, very happy with it paired with all my cans, including Utopia.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #6,732 of 12,550
The Focal Clear sounds nothing like speakers.
1. Focal Clear is not neutral (peak in mids).
2. No sub bass (this is not limited to the Focal Clear, headphones are bad in sub bass. Hence why a lot of headphones boost the sub bass a lot)
3. No soundstage and unrealistic imaging.

I cannot think of any scenario why I would pick the Focal Clear over my speakers (considering that my isolation is very good so my neighbours hear nothing)

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #6,734 of 12,550
Many speakers roll off in the bass area....thats why there are all kinds of speakers with diffrering siz drivers to give you waht you refere to as low bass....and yes its hard for a small transducer to reproduce this at a room level, just not going to happen....BUT think of the size of the transducer in a good headphone and the distance from your eardrum and then for many the bass and subbass can approach and eclipse a speaker with less distortion.

The Clears have been touted as one of the BEST dynamic headphones for tonality...music sounds like music, they way it was recorded in reference to tone. So I dont give a hoot about the freq plot and humps and bumos, its what I hear when I put them on and listen...the Clears IMO are the best tonality dynamic headphones I have ever heard....even more expensive ones.

These headphones provide a listening experince that speakers can not provide...they are different and this is good..... room for all kinds of listeners and opinions.

Alex

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back