Focal Clear headphones
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #5,266 of 12,550
Will the Focal Clear be an upgrade over the Beyerdynamic T1? I'm liking these bad boys, coming from DT-770 to DT-1990 and then their flagship, I've quite enjoyed the trip. But after I listed to the Sennheiser HE1, everything pales in comparison but that doesn't prevent me from trying to approach it.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #5,269 of 12,550
Someone tell me this cable gets softer over time...

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #5,271 of 12,550
I have swapped out the rigor mortised stock cable [which showed no signs of improved bendability] with a HeadphoneLounge UP-OCC silver one recently.

Well, bad news then. Thanks for letting me know though. I wish companies would just include an option to buy a discounted pair that just doesn't include a cable at all.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #5,272 of 12,550
Well, bad news then. Thanks for letting me know though. I wish companies would just include an option to buy a discounted pair that just doesn't include a cable at all.
You can do what I did, sell what you do not want. I bought my Clear in August for €1150, and sold the never used case and balanced cable for €200, so that effective cost of my Clear was €950. I sold both here in head-fi.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #5,273 of 12,550
I think a headphone reviewer only has value if you've found your preferences to align with his in the past (my preferences align closely with Tyll for several headphones I've tried).
Seems like the reviews of the Clear have been overwhelmingly positive?

Quite. I was reading Tyll's review of the Clear while I was auditioning them (on the same laptop I was playing test music on). I can't say that I disagreed with any of it, but I found the treble and upper mid range more lively than he had reported. I'm not sure how rolled off his hearing had become with age. It's quite possible that the attenuated range only carries cymbal hit reverb in the type of music I typically listen to, and little else.

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #5,274 of 12,550
Quite. I was reading Tyll's review of the Clear. I'm not sure how rolled off his hearing had become with age..
Hearing loss Age-Freq.png

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #5,275 of 12,550
P.S. The Audeze Cases I find flat out ridiculous. Unless you want to take your headphones into a war zone and you have enough storage space in your Humvee, what's the point for a case like that?

Quite. I'm a guest worker in the US, could end up in another state or in Canada, and really need to economize on space in my vehicle. I felt bad discounting all Audeze headphones just because I don't have room for them, but, that's the reality of it. I think their cases are a gimmick, and the wood or bamboo trim. I would prefer something durable, and light.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #5,276 of 12,550
Will the Focal Clear be an upgrade over the Beyerdynamic T1? I'm liking these bad boys, coming from DT-770 to DT-1990 and then their flagship, I've quite enjoyed the trip. But after I listed to the Sennheiser HE1, everything pales in comparison but that doesn't prevent me from trying to approach it.

The Clear + 1990 would be an amazing 1-2 punch in any lineup. IMO moreso than 1990 + T1 which could be argued as neck and neck, though surprisingly more and more hardcore Beyer nuts place the 1990/Home above T1. Plus 1990 seems like a 2 in 1 headphone with those highly engineered pads.
Hope there is a T1.3 coming to be a clear top dog.
giphy.gif

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #5,277 of 12,550
I used to enjoy Beyerdynamic headphones--particularly the 2003 DT-880 Pro--until the 2005 DT Premium series was introduced. The T1 were a bitter disappointment. The T1, T5, DT-990 and DT-880 [both 250- and 600-ohm versions] and DT-1350 all fell flat for me [compared to their 2003 DT-880 Pro forebears] and I have since never regularly bought, owned, listened to or endorsed Beyerdynamic.

The Focal Clear represent the most balanced and musically satisfying headphone listen I have experienced to date, bar none: electro dynamic, planar dynamic or electrostatic.

Needless to say, the Utopia are scheduled to arrive this Thursday.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #5,278 of 12,550
Quite. I'm a guest worker in the US, could end up in another state or in Canada, and really need to economize on space in my vehicle. I felt bad discounting all Audeze headphones just because I don't have room for them, but, that's the reality of it. I think their cases are a gimmick, and the wood or bamboo trim. I would prefer something durable, and light.

The weight of Audeze LCD headphones can be intimidating, but I actually find them to be fairly comfortable. And I appreciate the old-school aesthetics of the wood, and it may subconsciously contribute to an expectation of a 'warm' sound. But OTOH, I also appreciate the engineering-driven lightness and functional design of the something like the HD800S. For me, the Clear is sort of in between - functional but also a bit blingy.

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #5,280 of 12,550
I have only owned the LCD-2 [pre Fazor] and thought they were notably lacking in HF extension, detail and energy for my listening tastes. A very bulky and clumsy fit, too.

Comparing the LCD-2 and LCD-3 (both fazor), I found the LCD-3 to be significantly better than the LCD-2 with respect to HF extension, detail, and energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back