Focal Clear headphones
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #4,216 of 12,550
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I thought you might like to see that the Clear has been named the EISA Hi-End Headphone of the Year.

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/focal-clear/

"Clear by name, clear by nature. This headphone delivers a wonderfully open and translucent sound thanks to clever design and excellent build quality. It may appear relatively expensive, but Focal has gone all out for greatness and succeeded. Like the company’s more affordable Elear and pricier Utopia models, the Clear’s dynamic drive units have a specially shaped diaphragm with a roll surround, optimising response while controlling any break-up modes. This makes for a crisp and insightful sound that’s fatigue-free yet boasts a particularly firm and animated bass. Factor in the sumptuous leather-covered earpads and headband, and this new design delivers hours of musical fun in consummate comfort."
It's surprising that they make no mention of the Clear Pro's and the acoustic superiority of utilizing the colors Black and Red. The evidence of these claims is not readily available and may be locked in a safe buried hundreds of feet below the surface in an undisclosed location. However, those who have decided to purchase the Professional model which uses the superior color combination, attest that this is in fact true. Black and Red will always sound superior to Silver and Gray. Which is supported by the increase in price between the two models. Consequently, the Black and Red Clear Professional also bears unique badging that identifies the headphones as a different model. Like hood scoops, chrome wheels and spoilers provide added performance to vehicles they're attached to...the use of the word Professional significantly improves the headphones performance over the model that lacks such badging.

:relieved:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #4,217 of 12,550
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I thought you might like to see that the Clear has been named the EISA Hi-End Headphone of the Year.

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/focal-clear/

"Clear by name, clear by nature. This headphone delivers a wonderfully open and translucent sound thanks to clever design and excellent build quality. It may appear relatively expensive, but Focal has gone all out for greatness and succeeded. Like the company’s more affordable Elear and pricier Utopia models, the Clear’s dynamic drive units have a specially shaped diaphragm with a roll surround, optimising response while controlling any break-up modes. This makes for a crisp and insightful sound that’s fatigue-free yet boasts a particularly firm and animated bass. Factor in the sumptuous leather-covered earpads and headband, and this new design delivers hours of musical fun in consummate comfort."
Clearly a winner.

Time to put them on and listen to Incubus.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #4,218 of 12,550
It's surprising that they make no mention of the Clear Pro's and the acoustic superiority of utilizing the colors Black and Red. The evidence of these claims is not readily available and may be locked in a safe buried hundreds of feet below the surface in an undisclosed location. However, those who have decided to purchase the Professional model which uses the superior color combination, attest that this is in fact true. Black and Red will always sound superior to Silver and Gray. Which is supported by the increase in price between the two models. Consequently, the Black and Red Clear Professional also bears unique badging that identifies the headphones as a different model. Like hood scoops, chrome wheels and spoilers provide added performance to vehicles they're attached to...the use of the word Professional significantly improves the headphones performance over the model that lacks such badging.

:relieved:
Oh and don't forget they have "speed holes". :grinning:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F13258FB3C5918A6BB6CF13258FB3C5918A&FORM=VIRE

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,219 of 12,550
I just bought the Clears and was looking to replace the pads.. until I saw the price: 200$.
Is there any good alternative? I already use Dekoni fen. pads on my Elear, but I dont like what its doing to the highs on them.

Or is there any place where you can get the clear pads cheaper?

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #4,220 of 12,550
I just bought the Clears and was looking to replace the pads.. until I saw the price: 200$.
Is there any good alternative? I already use Dekoni fen. pads on my Elear, but I dont like what its doing to the highs on them.

Or is there any place where you can get the clear pads cheaper?
You don’t like what the Dekoni pads are doing to the highs on the Elear or Clear? If the Clear, how do they make them sound overall? Howcome you’re looking to replace the pads? (And yes, Focal pad prices are extortionist).

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,221 of 12,550
You don’t like what the Dekoni pads are doing to the highs on the Elear or Clear? If the Clear, how do they make them sound overall? Howcome you’re looking to replace the pads? (And yes, Focal pad prices are extortionist).
As said, I bought them used and the pictures looked like the headphones really need some new pads. I havent received them yet though.

I am just a bit afraid that the Dekoni Pads will also mess with the Clear highs. I mean, there will certainly be a difference in sound.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #4,222 of 12,550
As said, I bought them used and the pictures looked like the headphones really need some new pads. I havent received them yet though.

I am just a bit afraid that the Dekoni Pads will also mess with the Clear highs. I mean, there will certainly be a difference in sound.
I have the Clear and the Dekoni fenstrated pads and didn’t really notice a difference in sound. I prefer the comfort and use ability (ie the light grey are prone to look dirty after heavy use) of the Dekoni to the stock pads.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #4,223 of 12,550
I have the Clear and the Dekoni fenstrated pads and didn’t really notice a difference in sound. I prefer the comfort and use ability (ie the light grey are prone to look dirty after heavy use) of the Dekoni to the stock pads.
Interesting, if it didn’t change the sound of the Clear too much it could explain why the Dekoni fen pads work so well with the Elear. After all, the Elex (Elear with Clear pads) apparently ‘fixes’ the ‘issues’ with the stock Elear pads, so it stands to reason that an even better pad (Dekoni) would do likewise and more. Incredible how much the sound of this one base headphone shifts based on pads alone.

And yes, the mind boggles at how someone could have thought a light grey fabric pad on a headphone is a good idea. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall to smell what they were smoking over in France at that meeting :p

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4,224 of 12,550

Not so sure given what @Ken G just wrote. Look forward to your impressions when you get them.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #4,225 of 12,550
This sounds promising, Focal wanting 200$ for pads ist just insane..

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #4,226 of 12,550
I originally bought the Dekoni Fenstrated pads when I had the Elear (I upgraded to the Clear) and I thought they were a slight improvement to the Elear pads. I believe there is a review somewhere on this sight that aligns with my opinion on the improvements that I noticed. While I did like that combo, it really didn't compare to the improvements that you get by upgrading to the Focal Clear (clarity and refinement).

I also wanted to point out a few disclaimers though on my previous post yesterday:
  1. I didn't spend a lot of time with the original Clear pads. I used them maybe for a couple days to a week before I switch over the the Dekoni and didn't notice much of a difference and haven't gone back.
  2. The unnoticeable difference is just my opinion and as you all know this hobby is very subjective. There are people that will tell you that they can tell the difference between an average or quality USB cord connecting their DAC. I'm not going to say whether they're wrong or right only to say that your "mileage may vary" when it comes to sound.
If you're on the fence, you may want to buy the Dekoni from a reputable dealer that allows returns and see if you notice a difference. If you buy directly from Dekoni, they will allow you a 2 week return period if you aren't satisfied.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #4,227 of 12,550
I just wish Dekoni could/would make a light gray pad that goes with the rest of the Clear's aesthetic.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #4,229 of 12,550
To each their own, I guess. Yeah, they get dirty-looking quicker than most, but the color scheme makes them some of the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #4,230 of 12,550
I wish Focal would have made an equal sounding headphone that was wasn’t light grey.....or didn’t have hot pink pads.
Not sure where the hot pink comes from...but the members with the Pro's could be your best option for replacement pads at a bargain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back