Focal Clear headphones
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,297 of 12,550
What I have read over the past couple of posts is the expression of a strong desire for Focal to create a closed-back headphones - I guess we all love their headphones so much that we would like to have a similar ones that's closed too.

Now, without needing to develop a thesis (on Head-Fi forum) as to why a closed-back headphone is important, I propose that writing an email directly to Focal would prove to be a lot more productive. If there are enough of such emails, the Focal Marketing Department would be convinced of a strong market demand for a closed-back TOTL headphone.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,298 of 12,550
Nomax already said Focal are working on a closed headphone.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,300 of 12,550
Closed back headphones are more popular than open headphones in this market.

Look at Beats, Bose and so on .... They outsell open headphones

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,301 of 12,550
There are more than few who cannot wear IEM/CIEM phones because of ear canal issues and/or just don't find in-ear phones comfortable for long listening sessions. I am one and have meet others at headphone shows who have similar issues with in-ear phones.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,303 of 12,550
Can we get back to the Clear? Focal doesn't make a closed set, some think they should, some think they should've months ago. Some people prefer closed, some prefer open, some prefer IEMs. Can't make everyone happy.

I'd rather discuss the headphones at hand.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,304 of 12,550
@ubs28 More popular doesn’t mean better sound. More popular means for the masses. The masses don’t really care much about sound. The audiophile community is a very small compared to the community that uses Bose and beats and usually we don’t care what the masses use. We look for the best possible sound, not what the masses are are using :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,305 of 12,550
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #2,307 of 12,550
The way Focal spews out headphones these days? Wouldn't doubt it..:k701smile:

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,308 of 12,550
Does anyone have or want to give a side to side comparison of the LCD-X and the Clear?
I have both. To me, these headphones are quite different; although they both have wildly different amplification preferences (IMO) so it's hard to really directly compare as each seems to prefer different amplifiers... so you're always listening to a slightly different chain.

Generally, though, the Clear is more even-sounding in terms of frequency response, has somewhat drier but very detailed bass, presents a more open soundstage, and has better microdynamic shading and detail retrieval. LCDX has more power in the sub-bass region, hits a little harder, has a more intimate "stage," and has a slight warmth and lushness to the midband.

Hope that helps!

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,309 of 12,550
Were there any comparisons vs the Aeon and Ether Flow Open? That'd be awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back