Focal Celestee Review & Measurements
Feb 3, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 117
Question to people who heard these ones - is it a good idea to switch from Z1R to these?
Looking for much better comfort (specially when its hot outside), less bass, more emphasis on trebles and better sound stage.

Good / bad or better go for Stellia?

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #32 of 117
At first glance, these Celestee look like a good deal! Trickled down tech from the stellia. Stellia is 2k more expensive for what? Beryllium over Mg/Al driver, and a more luxurious packaging incl. an extra cable + maybe some more refined material. That's a very hefty price to pay for not much difference. Price gap between those 2 models should be much narrower IMO.
It's actually interesting to put those views side by side :)

1612345540925.png1612345561711.png
Noooo, don't say that. They are gonna narrow the gap by pricing the cheaper model higher. :scream: If there are folks willing to pay extra couple grands for luxury, and finance production of the same performance tech at a lower price tag in a "budget" package, let them, say I. :sunglasses:

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #33 of 117
At first glance, these Celestee look like a good deal! Trickled down tech from the stellia. Stellia is 2k more expensive for what? Beryllium over Mg/Al driver, and a more luxurious packaging incl. an extra cable + maybe some more refined material. That's a very hefty price to pay for not much difference. Price gap between those 2 models should be much narrower IMO.
It's actually interesting to put those views side by side :)

1612345540925.png1612345561711.png
The same could've been said for the $900 Elegia which uses the same drivers etc as Celestee but then you listen and eugh Stellia is leagues nicer

Question to people who heard these ones - is it a good idea to switch from Z1R to these?
Looking for much better comfort (specially when its hot outside), less bass, more emphasis on trebles and better sound stage.

Comfort on Focals is amazing, I don't believe anyone has these on hand yet aside from reviewers so I couldn't answer the other questions though. From what Resolve said it seems soundstage isn't great but passable, bass is great and treble is great

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #34 of 117

I haven’t listened to the Sony Z1R’s in a long time so not sure how to compare them with the Stellia. As for the Stellia it’s a very detailed listen that still has some warmth and bass slam to it. I wouldn’t say it has a particularly great sound stage, it remains more intimate but has great detail separation. Something like the ZMF Verite Closed offers a detailed warm presentation also but with a larger sound stage while still being a closed headphone. The Verite closed also has better sound isolation then the Stellia. Both are comfortable, the Stellia is easier to drive and lighter in weight but both are comfortable on the head thanks to the Verite nice headband design. Both headphones sound better through a warm amp like tube or class A over a portable class D or THX amp.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 117
I found out that my Martin Logan speakers out resolve my Audeze LCD-3s, and that's the main reason I've stopped using the latter on a daily basis. Audeze, was going for a full, rounded, lush sound, not outright detail (I think I would need to move up to an LCD-4 for that). I always feel like I can't hear the upper mids, no matter how much I turn them up, or EQ them. The Reveal plug in does help somewhat, but they are still a dark headphone. Also a non fatiguing one. LCD-4 probably has a similar signature

There's a used Rosson RAD-0 on for $1900 on Audiogon, it probably won't last at that price. I had also found an Ether Flow Open 1.1 for $799.

If I go back to Focals, I might use DSP before I get a tube amp, to modify the sound. I had found the Clears to be all about "sharp edges" and they hadn't sounded warm at all. The Utopias probably have a similar signature, but with more detail. They are "technical" headphones.

I'd buy the Verites if I could come to terms with spending that much on a set of headphones. I don't use the ones I do have, very much.

Definitely listen to the Dan Clark Ethers, the C or closed version has a recessed mid range (vocals) and bass reverb that I find not acceptable. It’s a very old design headphone with many others from ZMF or Audeze passing it in sound quality. If you like your LCD 3s you should try Rosson Audio Rad 0, definitely a more modern and improved version. The Dan Clark C is definitely more V shaped and recessed in the mids while still not having great authority in the sub bass area, definitely give a listen before buying. They were a big let down for myself, I own the lcd XC, Stellia and Verite Closed for closed headphones. A bunch of open headphones, lcd 4, Utopia, hd800s, grados. I’d say my most listened to currently is Verite Closed and lcd 4. My next purchase will be the Rad 0, definitely enjoyed them. Focal definitely has its own sound, both the Utopia and Stellia are very detailed with great bass and separation but neither has the air quality that the ZMF and Audeze’s have while still keeping the bass slam I like. If you get a chance listen to the Focals with a tube amp, they seem to gain some texture and air with my tube amp. I personally think the Utopias sound much better through a tube amp.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #36 of 117
I found out that my Martin Logan speakers out resolve my Audeze LCD-3s, and that's the main reason I've stopped using the latter on a daily basis. Audeze, was going for a full, rounded, lush sound, not outright detail (I think I would need to move up to an LCD-4 for that). I always feel like I can't hear the upper mids, no matter how much I turn them up, or EQ them. The Reveal plug in does help somewhat, but they are still a dark headphone. Also a non fatiguing one. LCD-4 probably has a similar signature

There's a used Rosson RAD-0 on for $1900 on Audiogon, it probably won't last at that price. I had also found an Ether Flow Open 1.1 for $799.

If I go back to Focals, I might use DSP before I get a tube amp, to modify the sound. I had found the Clears to be all about "sharp edges" and they hadn't sounded warm at all. The Utopias probably have a similar signature, but with more detail. They are "technical" headphones.

I'd buy the Verites if I could come to terms with spending that much on a set of headphones. I don't use the ones I do have, very much.
I’m pretty dead set on Clears myself but I can’t help but be curious about ZMF as well. Something about that excellent customer service and headphones being handcrafted makes them rather appealing, although all the different options make it overwhelming and they are definitely colored sounding.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #37 of 117
I feel the Clears are still a solid contender at their price point. I had sold mine last summer, but for irrational reasons. LCD-3s are pleasant to listen to for a long time, but don't offer as much detail, at a higher cost. I could hear texture with stringed instruments more with the Clears. I didn't feel the LCD-X had outresolved them, either (they wouldn't let me listen to the Ether 1.1s). Focals are well built, and I wouldn't be afraid to buy a open box or returned model at a discount. That's what I had done.

I could hear the aluminum driver signature, and had found them fatiguing and brassy with percussion flourishes in particular (the cymbal hits in songs like Coldplay's Politik had murdered my ears). You may want to eq the treble spikes down, or apply a DSP plugin to warm them up. I would look at something like applying small amounts of second order and fourth order distortion. There's some new plugins for JRiver27 that I'm not aware of. I have custom EQs stored in there for a number of products.

HiFiMan Arya detail and soundstage was really good, but I hadn't liked their timbre for female vocals in particular. There's something about them that had sounded plastic, and "off".

I’m pretty dead set on Clears myself but I can’t help but be curious about ZMF as well. Something about that excellent customer service and headphones being handcrafted makes them rather appealing, although all the different options make it overwhelming and they are definitely colored sounding.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #38 of 117

I own the Utopias and Verite Closed, the Clears I demo’d twice and both times did not like how bright and metallic the highs are. The Utopias and Stellia both do not have the aluminum tweeter effect the Clears have. The Utopias also have more low end impact while keeping better layering/separation of instruments/vocals and details. I personally wouldn’t consider the clear to be similar to the Utopia besides having Focal’s detailed listen for its price. The Verite Closed has a warmer sound signature like the Stellia but somehow the Verite even as a closed headphone sounds very open with great detail/instrument separation at a better price point compared to the Stellia. I personally find the Verite Closed as one of my favorite headphones and would rather listen to it over some decently more expensive ones. Including the Stax 009s or Focal Stellia. The Utopia and LCD 4 through tube amp round out my top headphone picks I own right now. The Verite Closed is just easier to source match over the Utopia or LCD 4s. For your LCD 3 I’ve heard them through my chord Dave into Pass Lab HPA-1 and they came alive very nicely but I’ve always found Audeze headphones are only as good as their source. Even simple ones like LCD 2’s or XC’s can sound great if EQ’d and properly sourced. In my experience Audeze aren’t great through DAPs or portable audio, they tend to want a decent source to come alive. I find Focal’s to be easier to drive but very source picky, they easily can sound clinical or bright if matched poorly.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #39 of 117
I own the Utopias and Verite Closed, the Clears I demo’d twice and both times did not like how bright and metallic the highs are. The Utopias and Stellia both do not have the aluminum tweeter effect the Clears have. The Utopias also have more low end impact while keeping better layering/separation of instruments/vocals and details. I personally wouldn’t consider the clear to be similar to the Utopia besides having Focal’s detailed listen for its price. The Verite Closed has a warmer sound signature like the Stellia but somehow the Verite even as a closed headphone sounds very open with great detail/instrument separation at a better price point compared to the Stellia. I personally find the Verite Closed as one of my favorite headphones and would rather listen to it over some decently more expensive ones. Including the Stax 009s or Focal Stellia. The Utopia and LCD 4 through tube amp round out my top headphone picks I own right now. The Verite Closed is just easier to source match over the Utopia or LCD 4s. For your LCD 3 I’ve heard them through my chord Dave into Pass Lab HPA-1 and they came alive very nicely but I’ve always found Audeze headphones are only as good as their source. Even simple ones like LCD 2’s or XC’s can sound great if EQ’d and properly sourced. In my experience Audeze aren’t great through DAPs or portable audio, they tend to want a decent source to come alive. I find Focal’s to be easier to drive but very source picky, they easily can sound clinical or bright if matched poorly.
There is a new Focal Clear Mg that was leaked, I would guess that means it uses a Magnesium driver potentially addressing that slight metallic timbre that people seem to mention about Focal headphones. I’m sure Focal is aware of the criticism even though the effect varies between users, as perhaps this Mg version addresses the issue.

I really want a Clear but I think I’m holding off until there’s more official news about the Mg version, as we don’t know anything aside from a leaked photo. Will it be priced higher than the Clear? Will the Clear’s price be reduced so the Mg can be placed in the Clear’s current price bracket? The waiting is hard but it’s probably the right call. I really want the Celestee too.

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #40 of 117
I had a good laugh when I had clicked on Dan Clark Audio: they don't have any new products to offer that would interest me, just new marketing babble: their aging Ether closed is still $1800, and they had raised the price of the Ether 2 to $2300, without changing it. They also have an obsession with cables, clicking on that pulldown, gave me a headache. It's a much smaller company than Focal, I know.

I’m not sure why a product being a few years old means it is either aging or should somehow be cheaper. Nothing fundamental has changed in the planer magnetic technology space to make DCA’s products any less relevant.

By that logic, true classics like the HD6## series should have no relevance and should be practically given away by now.

I’m not a DCA owner but personally I find the fact that they don’t constantly churn out new models as a sign that they put real commitment into the products they offer.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #41 of 117
There is a new Focal Clear Mg that was leaked, I would guess that means it uses a Magnesium driver potentially addressing that slight metallic timbre that people seem to mention about Focal headphones. I’m sure Focal is aware of the criticism even though the effect varies between users, as perhaps this Mg version addresses the issue.

I really want a Clear but I think I’m holding off until there’s more official news about the Mg version, as we don’t know anything aside from a leaked photo. Will it be priced higher than the Clear? Will the Clear’s price be reduced so the Mg can be placed in the Clear’s current price bracket? The waiting is hard but it’s probably the right call. I really want the Celestee too.

Just hold off. Imagine how much R&D will have gone into a new model!

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #43 of 117
The Clear Mg was leaked on Adorama: Pro version with spare pads $1490
Yep, which means the original Clear/Pro are likely dropping in price. Glad they did it this way and not keep the Clear at $1490 while selling the Mg for like $1990. Looking forward to hearing what the differences are and hope they kept the same tuning and just made minor tweaks to improve it. Website already claims the new grille design opens up the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back