Focal Celestee Review & Measurements
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #61 of 117
EDIT: Reported to be deleted. Initial impressions copied to main Celestee thread.

Just got the Celestee in and have been listening for about 30 minutes through PC --> iFi micro iDSD BL --> Jotunheim 2 (SE out). Unfortunately, I don't have a balanced cable in for them yet, nor am I able to use my main system as I am confined to one room of my house because of COVID.

First impressions they're very "clean" sounding: almost like a closed, super-HD600 with more detail and better bass extension. Tonally, they're slightly more metallic than the HD600... What else would you expect from Focal?

Those hoping for a warm sound will probably be disappointed but they have a much better tonal balance than the Radiance, which could sound very unnatural with some music. My reference for neutral are the Sundara and Utopia and I would classify the Celestee as a neutral headphone.

The upper midrange hole of the Elegia has been fixed.

There seems to be a fairly wide dip in the lower midrange, which helps give a sense of clarity, but at the expense that it sounds less "full" (cooler) than the HD600, Sundara, and Utopia that I mentioned before.
In "The Peppery Man" by Natalie Merchant, the low, male voices are there, but lack the depth and weight that I have come to expect from a neutral headphone.

The dip in the lower midrange helps keep the bass from interfering with the midrange, but it goes a little far and can make the bass sound slightly detached.
The closest frequency response I've heard from a closed back would be the (then) MrSpeakers Aeon Closed (original) but the Celestee is a step up in nearly every regard.

The bass is missing the slam that Focal is so good at with their open-backs. They come across as a bit flat sounding.

Imaging is good but the soundstage is wider than it is deep.

More listening to come and hopefully with better gear.

How do you like the pairing with the Ifi micro BL? I have the ifi Zen Can and find that the 3D button opens up the stage nicely for older recordings. I was thinking about getting the BL/Signature for portable use.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #63 of 117
sorry for the out context of this thread topics , i just can;t decide between celestee and lcdX ...
damn it would be nice if i can have these two lol
I think the LCD XC to the Radiance would be more of a similar comparison. Have you listened to planar headphones they have a little bit different sound. Audeze to me are better planar’s then some which get too thin and not very dynamic sounding. Are you looking for better separation in details or do you like more soft to slam? Both will have good bass, dynamic headphones just have a way of moving air better to feel the slam more at this price point. Planar have a bit more air feeling and separation due to driver design. But Planar can sound a little thin with male vocals and the lcd x can get a little recessed with female vocals. I personally like the XC better then the X and I own the lcd 4’s which I love. Audeze’s are power hungry so not the most portable and they need a decent amp to sound good.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #64 of 117
That's hard to answer but I think so. I'm currently trying to decide which one to keep since I don't need both, and I'm really struggling. I'm leaning Celestee at the moment.

The Noire is much harder to drive which could potentially be an issue on-the-go.
The Celestee is more genre agnostic than the Noire IMO; more jack of all trades but master of none.

I prefer the Noire for modern rap, pop, and some rock because of the more v-shaped sound signature and I don't care about timbre as much with those genres (at least rap and modern pop). Listening to some Post Malone on the Noire right now and it's very enjoyable.
I prefer the Celestee if I'm listening to other genres other than what I mentioned above (rock can go either way) or music that is mastered well because it sounds more natural to my ears, with more accurate timbre with vocals and through the treble.

Thanks, for your post, this is very helpful.
I have the Clear and the AFC and I am looking for a new closed back head phone and tend also between AFC2 Noire and Celestee.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #65 of 117
All these might be better to discuss in the main Celestee thread. I feel kind of bad for hijacking this one as much as I have.

Well I guess I have to order both and decide what fits me better. Thank you for your perspective :)
Np. Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

Thanks, for your post, this is very helpful.
I have the Clear and the AFC and I am looking for a new closed back head phone and tend also between AFC2 Noire and Celestee.
Wow, you're in a very similar place to me. I used to have the Clear and AFC. I replaced the Clear with the Utopia, and am currently trying to fill the AFC's void with one of them.
As I mentioned to frix, I think they come down to tuning preference.

How do you like the pairing with the Ifi micro BL? I have the ifi Zen Can and find that the 3D button opens up the stage nicely for older recordings. I was thinking about getting the BL/Signature for portable use.
I think it pairs well with the BL. I haven't done a ton of listening with it specifically, but nothing stood out as an issue. The ability to use the bass boost when needed is nice. I don't mess with the 3D setting at all.

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #66 of 117
Aren't they a bit too different for a comparison?
Celestee is super easy to drive, closed and mobile oriented, pretty comfy too actually.
I feel like LCD-X does not really fit with the category celestee puts itself into.
Haven't heard the LCD-X but just soundwise I would pick it instead of Celestee.
yes , you are right sorry bout the comparison
but i thought lcdX also easy to drive too
I think you need to ask yourself the following questions and the decision might be easier to make:

Do you need a closed-back headphone or is open-back okay? / Do you need isolation and little sound-leakage?

Are you okay with using EQ?
The Celestee has a more natural timbre and midrange presentation out of the box, but neither is perfect all the way through the spectrum. I find the LCD-X to be the more technically capable headphone but its tonal balance (through the midrange especially) is completely wonky and needs adjustment.

Are you comfortable with heavier headphones?
The LCD-X (600g) weighs almost 50% more than the Celestee (430g).

Do you have/will you get a capable amp?
The Celestee is very easy to drive but the LCD-X has moderately low sensitivity and will need amplification.
whoa .. thanks for the respond
didn;t expect this too actually , lots of ppl also telling me to EQ lcdX and also compare to celestee which out of the box can be very enjoyable
i don;t have any exp with focal high end headphones , not even once have audition for it
i;m planning to buy 1 more headphone since i'm kinda getting used to my 2c .. just want something different but not similar with others ( hd6xx and sundara )

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #67 of 117
I think it pairs well with the BL. I haven't done a ton of listening with it specifically, but nothing stood out as an issue. The ability to use the bass boost when needed is nice. I don't mess with the 3D setting at all.

Thanks and enjoy! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #69 of 117
@Mightygrey reviewed both the Clear MG and the Celestee.

PSX_20210317_220132-1050x700.jpg

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #70 of 117
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #72 of 117
Matty said
The Celestee’s drivers use the same materials and dimensions as the Elegia, yet have been retuned for a completely-new sound signature. ”

Is the Celestee driver any different to the Elegia, or is the tuning in the new hybrid pads?
On an interview with Focal, the Focal rep stated the Celeste and Radiance share their new driver with different internal acoustic treatments. No mention of the Elegia.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #73 of 117
I thought I was done with headphones for a little while but then Focal releases the Celestee and Clear MG. Reading a couple of the reviews about the Celestee gave me the indication that the soundstage isn't as vast sounding like the Elegia. Is it that drastically different from the Elegia soundstage? I was also looking at the Radiance as a potential option.

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #74 of 117
Celestee and Clear MG. Reading a couple of the reviews about the Celestee gave me the indication that the soundstage isn't as vast sounding like the Elegia. Is it that drastically different from the Elegia soundstage? I was also looking at the Radiance as a potential option.
The original Clears were the first really good headphone I had owned (bought in late 2018) and felt they had an average soundstage at best (now retired Tyll Hertsens had agreed) I had tried Elears at the time, and thought those two were about the same, in terms of soundstage, but not resolution. I doubt the new Mg Clears would be much better.

HiFiMan Arya, HE-1000, and Sennheiser HD800 clearly outclass Focal headphone soundstage, though I wasn't allowed to listen to the Utopia at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back