Focal Celestee Review & Measurements
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #76 of 117
I thought I was done with headphones for a little while but then Focal releases the Celestee and Clear MG. Reading a couple of the reviews about the Celestee gave me the indication that the soundstage isn't as vast sounding like the Elegia. Is it that drastically different from the Elegia soundstage? I was also looking at the Radiance as a potential option.
My understanding is that the Radiance has the same drivers as the Elegia. I installed Dekoni Sheepskin pads on my Elegias and they sound very similar to the Radiance I auditioned the other day. I am referring to the non perforated pads. I am happy with the soundstage and pinpoint location of instruments.

I also have the Dekoni fenestrated pads which are more neutral (better for classical and jazz).

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #77 of 117
Focal Celestee Review & Measurements

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

The new closed-back Focal Celestee is a compelling addition to Focal's lineup, as it replaces a well-regarded model (the Elegia). We take a close look at the new Focal Celestee, including several measurements from the Brüel & Kjær 5128 hearing simulator. We compare the Celestee to its Focal siblings, as well other well-known headphones. We also examine Jude's (French?) pronunciation.

Click on the following link for more information about the Brüel & Kjær 5128 hearing simulator mentioned in the video: Brüel & Kjær 5128

Focal Celestee Review & Measurements - produced by Joe Cwik, Brian Murphy, and Jude Mansilla​

Awesome

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #78 of 117
Hello !

I wish the Celestee would be foldable or would be less than 11 cm with its box.

I need to easily carry with me very good headphones that I know well for work. I have been using Freitag bags since decades for that: it can usually carry my laptop, a pair of headphones etc.
The Freitag I am using is 11cm of depth including my laptop's height. Perfect for flying, all the time, from one studio to a concert hall.
You can laugh at me thinking: I choose the bag before the headphones !! Hahahaha :)

The Aeon Noir sounds different and would always (?) require an amp; not the kind of a multi-use tool. Isn't it ?

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #79 of 117
My understanding is that the Radiance has the same drivers as the Elegia. I installed Dekoni Sheepskin pads on my Elegias and they sound very similar to the Radiance I auditioned the other day. I am referring to the non perforated pads. I am happy with the soundstage and pinpoint location of instruments.

I also have the Dekoni fenestrated pads which are more neutral (better for classical and jazz).
I had impression that elegia had very light bass. So is it the same thing for radiance?

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #80 of 117
I had impression that elegia had very light bass. So is it the same thing for radiance?
Elegia + Dekoni Sheepskin.

Bass is raised a few db, but it is taught and fast. Mid-range (Diana Krall) vocals are warmed up a bit. Snare brushes and cymbal hits are clear (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo).

"Bad Guy" from Billie Eilish has a driving bass and sub-bass content that is very enjoyable on this configuration. My ears... your experience may vary.

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #81 of 117
Definitely not. The Radiance has a reasonably elevated low end and is quite warm-sounding.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #84 of 117
So these are not an good allround headphone then.I was hoping these was good for all genres and had good bass.A warm,fun,enganging and musical headphone.Anyone listened to the denon ah 7200 and the celestee?

May 21, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #86 of 117
Not a full review, just a few comments....

The Focal Celeste sound, offers a more intimate look into the music, vs, hearing it from the middle of the auditorium.
The Sound Stage is very similar to what you find with the Abyss Diana V2.

As aesthetically compared to the Radiance, the Celestee is a bit dull looking, tho the Gold inserts are a nice touch both on the Cups and on the Cable.
Comfort wise, its above average but not great.
Cable is mild jank, as Focal has mastered the art of cable jank.
Box is typical of Focal, and the carrying case is ample, as usual regarding Focal gear.

So, if you are considering buying this gear, then dont be put off by all the people who talk more about sound stage then they care about timbre, tonal accuracy, detail retrieval, resolution, clarity, instrument separation, and sonic immersion.

Focal has designed this gear as a studio reference intimate sound.
Its not trying to be a wide euphoric experience, but rather the Celestee's sonics goal is accuracy and clarity.
Bass is not small, its accurate.
Treble is not etched, its accurate.
Mids are not scooped out. Low mids are not bloomy. Sub bass, is reference styled.

The Celestee is designed to give you a lot of honest musical transparency, delivered into your ears in an intimate way.
If you like hearing all the song's parts as they naturally occur, without any type of faux soundstage added, and if you enjoy a more natural sound verse a reverby or wet or deep sound, then the Celestee will give it to you all day and all night long.

If you like HD800 soundstage , you wont find it here.
If you love the Abyss too forward midrange house sound, then, you wont find it here, but you also wont find the Celestee's mids to be recessed, as they are slightly forward, which invites female vocals, drums, acoustic guitars, and synths, to stand up and be counted in their best light.

The Celestee is a good set of headphones that are not really pretty and are not super comfy, yet neither are any of the Abyss, and they cost so much more..
-
=
DSC09749.JPG

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #87 of 117
I had some mixed feelings about the celestee.Some songs are fatigueing ( have to lower the volume ) and some not.But what i experienced is that qobuz sound better than spotify on these with dragonfly black and usb audio player pro.When using the dragonfly without usb player,the sound is poor.More fatiguing.When using the rme adib2 dac fs the sound is great.I also thinks they grow on me.I like them more and more. 😊

May 24, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #90 of 117
I need to easily carry with me very good headphones that I know well for work.

The Aeon Noir sounds different and would always (?) require an amp; not the kind of a multi-use tool. Isn't it ?
I've been listening to the Noire's just from a phone, and they still sound good for quite a lot of music. Of course they benefit from an amp, which is probably not an issue if you're at a desktop most of the time and mobile use is just a small part of listening like for me.

The design of the Noire is excellent for travel, and they are so comfortable!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back