Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Sep 18, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #526 of 634
Can anyone comment on the isolation and sound bleed characteristics of the Celestee?

For my use case I work in a open office environment where I have times of the day that it's dead silent and then others where it gets very loud. I want a set of closed back headphones that have great technical performance but do a good job of sound isolation. I also want something that doesn't bleed at normal listening levels where coworkers can here my music.
You might want to explore the Beyer T5 Gen 3's. Nice sound and Great isolation.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #527 of 634
I think the isolation is good.
I tested it with an Smartphone App (not really the best way, but better than nothing).
I played music on my volume level which is very loud. My smartphone was on a desk before me.

My Open-Back Ultrasone leaks 75dB average.
The Celestee 50dB average.
My Closed Monoprice M1060C with 45dB average has the lowest leakage.

I don‘t know about if the App is really 100% correct. When you hear normal, then the leakage should be even lower.

The App use ITU-R 468.

You hear sound from outside. You‘re not deaf with them on your head. But when you play music, you hear nothing beside that.
If your Ultrasones leak out 75 Db's, how loud are you listening? 85 - 90 Db's? That is SCARY loud.

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #528 of 634
So I purchased a pair of Celestees for which I’ll be using for work in the office. I need to buy a portable amp/dac and not sure If I want a dongle or a smaller desktop Option.

After a bit of research I’m on the fence over the IFI hip dac @ 150 or their new IFI Go blu amp/dac @ 200

https://ifi-audio.com/products/go-blu/

This new one is bluetooth so I don’t have to get the weird lightning adapter for my iPhone and there is a wired option for usb connectivity as well. It has x-bass and x-space options to help perhaps a bit with bass response and sound stage limitation with the celestee.

I’m just not sure if 250 mw @ 32 Ohms via balanced is enough juice to drive the Celestee or not? Anybody have an opinion on which option to go with Or perhaps a different option all together?

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #529 of 634
So I purchased a pair of Celestees for which I’ll be using for work in the office. I need to buy a portable amp/dac and not sure If I want a dongle or a smaller desktop Option.

After a bit of research I’m on the fence over the IFI hip dac @ 150 or their new IFI Go blu amp/dac @ 200

This new one is bluetooth so I don’t have to get the weird lightning adapter for my iPhone and there is a wired option for usb connectivity as well. It has x-bass and x-space options to help perhaps a bit with bass response and sound stage limitation with the celestee.

I’m just not sure if 250 mw @ 32 Ohms via balanced is enough juice to drive the Celestee or not? Anybody have an opinion on which option to go with Or perhaps a different option all together?
I liked the W2 dongle from L&P with the Celestee. It's a little more expensive though ($300).

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #530 of 634

If you can find a used Oppo HA-2SE, it’s a great little amp/DAC unit. Used you should be able to find one for $ 200-250.

It has an amp that’s plenty powerful for Focals (I’ve used mine with great results with the Elear, Radiance, and Stellia). The DAC is ESS chip-based, but doesn’t sound harsh or too clinical. It does hew more to the neutral, detailed line rather than the more analog, richer sound of the Schiit Gungnir MB, for example. Still, great to listen to in the office, in bed, or elsewhere.

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #531 of 634
If your Ultrasones leak out 75 Db's, how loud are you listening? 85 - 90 Db's? That is SCARY loud.
Yeah, I said I hear very loud…
Idk on which Volume I listen (maybe more than 85-90dB).
The rest of you should have less leakage haha

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #532 of 634

Powerwise you didn‘t need much for the Celestee especially for Volume.
Just with more Power you get stronger Bass. Or you should check the xCan from iFi. He has 1W (I think). But with xSpace & xBass it should be enough.

For my Zen Can I didn‘t need xBass at all, just xSpace.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #535 of 634

I'm sure it will be more than enough. Celeste's sensitivity of 105dB and 35 Ohms make it a rather easy load :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #536 of 634
Celestee is a good headphone for 1k
Stellia is an amazing headphone for 3k
Depending on the wallet one might suit you better then the other. I have had both, for me Celestee is the better deal. A good sounding headphone with little shortcomings for a decent price. I ended up selling my Stellia to fund a different (and open-back) headphone. Stellia is a different journey in which you will experience colour differences during the patina process. Not everyone is keen on that. Celestee uses a different leather that doesn't inherit this effect. The leather is of slight less quality (top-grain vs Stellia's full-grain).

I think the inverse... if you want a sub $1k closed back the Celestee is a great option.. If you're going to spend $3k on closed backs you go Verite Close + tube amp.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #537 of 634
Just got the Celestee used for good price. Love the sound.
I can barely turn up the volume straight from analog mac / iPhone with lightning to analog connector without it being too loud.
I really don't need an amp do I? I have the topping nx4 and don't see a difference.

It's never a volume/power question... My DAP will play celestee loud enough and it sounds good but my god if I just use lineout of the same DAP into a proper DAC + Amp the improvement is worlds better.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #539 of 634
I think the inverse... if you want a sub $1k closed back the Celestee is a great option.. If you're going to spend $3k on closed backs you go Verite Close + tube amp.
It's odd, I spent some good time with the Celestee recently going back and forth with my P9s. I really do think the latter are superior, more detail, a bigger sound stage, and a more open and full mid range...It wasn't close to my ear but I'd need more than 30mins to really get to grips.

That said when I tried the Stellia it was the same upgrade but from my P9s, to me it felt like

Stellia >> P9 >> Celestee

Shame as i adore the build of the Celestee. Legitimately the most beautiful headphone in the world imo. Was listening out of a single source too, AK380, which may have skewed things.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #540 of 634
The Vérité Closed is one way of the best options, if you're looking for a TOTL closed-back headphone. At this price range, it really boils down to your listening preferences, IMO. If you want something that's lush and full-bodied, the ZMF flagship is certainly one of the end-game options. However, if you want a neutral flagship with high levels of technical prowess, you'll want a Rögnir. If you want a balanced flagship that's quite the genre wizard, you can opt for a Stellia (or an AH-D9200 for half the cost).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back