Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #512 of 634
I really enjoyed my celestee, but I have a very small head and they didn't fit correctly unfortunately...That was on me though not the headphone. Same great separation and precision that focal is known for, stage was a little narrow but separation was still great.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #513 of 634
I really enjoyed my celestee, but I have a very small head and they didn't fit correctly unfortunately...That was on me though not the headphone. Same great separation and precision that focal is known for, stage was a little narrow but separation was still great.
Honestly, with its strong clamp, it's not a good match for bigger heads, too, I reckon. I have a small-to-medium-sized head myself, and the Celestee remains one of the least-comfortable headphones in my collection.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #514 of 634
Honestly, with its strong clamp, it's not a good match for bigger heads, too, I reckon. I have a small-to-medium-sized head myself, and the Celestee remains one of the least-comfortable headphones in my collection.
I am incompatible with most "uber comfortable" headphones (looking at you Dan Clark!) somehow the Focals just fit®.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #515 of 634
Can anyone comment on the isolation and sound bleed characteristics of the Celestee?

For my use case I work in a open office environment where I have times of the day that it's dead silent and then others where it gets very loud. I want a set of closed back headphones that have great technical performance but do a good job of sound isolation. I also want something that doesn't bleed at normal listening levels where coworkers can here my music.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #516 of 634
Can anyone comment on the isolation and sound bleed characteristics of the Celestee?

For my use case I work in a open office environment where I have times of the day that it's dead silent and then others where it gets very loud. I want a set of closed back headphones that have great technical performance but do a good job of sound isolation. I also want something that doesn't bleed at normal listening levels where coworkers can here my music.
I think the isolation is good.
I tested it with an Smartphone App (not really the best way, but better than nothing).
I played music on my volume level which is very loud. My smartphone was on a desk before me.

My Open-Back Ultrasone leaks 75dB average.
The Celestee 50dB average.
My Closed Monoprice M1060C with 45dB average has the lowest leakage.

I don‘t know about if the App is really 100% correct. When you hear normal, then the leakage should be even lower.

The App use ITU-R 468.

You hear sound from outside. You‘re not deaf with them on your head. But when you play music, you hear nothing beside that.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #517 of 634
I am incompatible with most "uber comfortable" headphones (looking at you Dan Clark!) somehow the Focals just fit®.
Generally speaking, I love the design language of Focal's headphones. Despite their quirky looks, they have a very prestigious and classy aura about them. Even headphones on the lower end of the spectrum, such as the Elegia, exude a rather distinguished appearance. Plus, I enjoy a variety of Focal headphones; there aren't any that I outright dislike, and there a few that I really like, such as the Utopia, the Stellia, and the Celestee.

Sadly, the one sticky point is the comfort factor - the clamp on all of their headphones are a little beyond what I consider acceptable. Thankfully, the plush and thick pads help to alleviate some of the localized ache that I feel around the ears.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #518 of 634
Just got the Celestee used for good price. Love the sound.
I can barely turn up the volume straight from analog mac / iPhone with lightning to analog connector without it being too loud.
I really don't need an amp do I? I have the topping nx4 and don't see a difference.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #519 of 634
Just got the Celestee used for good price. Love the sound.
I can barely turn up the volume straight from analog mac / iPhone with lightning to analog connector without it being too loud.
I really don't need an amp do I? I have the topping nx4 and don't see a difference.
not necessarily. But for my experience the bass power and resolution improved with a stronger Amp. My iFi Zen Can had 1,6W at 32 Ohm. My Zen DAC had just 0,3W at 32 Ohm.
When I switch between both I hear a huge difference between the Bass Sound. With more Power you get more Bass. Maybe a reason too is Volt. (7,2V Can / ~3V DAC).

The rest is not very different.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #520 of 634
I think the isolation is good.
I tested it with an Smartphone App (not really the best way, but better than nothing).
I played music on my volume level which is very loud. My smartphone was on a desk before me.

My Open-Back Ultrasone leaks 75dB average.
The Celestee 50dB average.
My Closed Monoprice M1060C with 45dB average has the lowest leakage.

I don‘t know about if the App is really 100% correct. When you hear normal, then the leakage should be even lower.

The App use ITU-R 468.

You hear sound from outside. You‘re not deaf with them on your head. But when you play music, you hear nothing beside that.

thanks for this feedback! Could you comment on sound bleed? Just wondering if other people say 10-15 feet away from you can hear your music if youre listening at normal levels? My concern is about distracting coworkers.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #521 of 634
thanks for this feedback! Could you comment on sound bleed? Just wondering if other people say 10-15 feet away from you can hear your music if youre listening at normal levels? My concern is about distracting coworkers.
My Phone was not more than 3 feet away at the test. The leakage is lower from a further distance. You should try it. You know it when the others look angry at you :)
I don‘t know if 50dB is much or not but it depends on your volume level.

Sorry that I can't give you a more detailed answer, but It's difficult to see my Phone 15 feet away to measure the leakage when I sit in my chair.
It depends on your Room (Tiny or a big open room), Back Noise etc. too.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #522 of 634
not necessarily. But for my experience the bass power and resolution improved with a stronger Amp. My iFi Zen Can had 1,6W at 32 Ohm. My Zen DAC had just 0,3W at 32 Ohm.
When I switch between both I hear a huge difference between the Bass Sound. With more Power you get more Bass. Maybe a reason too is Volt. (7,2V Can / ~3V DAC).

The rest is not very different.

You're so right. Funny I was listening to Jon Hopkins after trying out mostly guitar style music and was disappointed of the bass although I heard it others say it was good on the Celestee? Then read your post and switched to the NX4. Good difference! Worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #523 of 634
You're so right. Funny I was listening to Jon Hopkins after trying out mostly guitar style music and was disappointed of the bass although I heard it others say it was good on the Celestee? Then read your post and switched to the NX4. Good difference! Worth it.
Yeah, I first used the Celestee on my Can with more Power. I didn't need the Volume from 1,6W for the Celestee, so I tried it a few days ago on my DAC. The Volume was enough too, but the Bass was less powerful. :thinking:

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #524 of 634
I'm in the same situation as you, so I had my dealer check the sound leakage on the Celestee vs the Beyer T5 3 vs Audeze LCD-2. The T5 3 had the least.
I have a pair of Elegias that I can only use when I'm alone in the office. When not I use the Beyer or a pair of LCD-X that I have modded to closed backs.

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #525 of 634
Good way to put it...kinda bummed they didn't fit me, but if they fit then I bet that are comfy as hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back