Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #331 of 634
Quick fix using Equalizer APO kinda fixes major pain points. Will continue experiments but here's current config:

<equalizationeffect>
<curve name="celestee">
<point f="10" d="0"/>
<point f="21" d="0"/>
<point f="42" d="0"/>
<point f="83" d="0"/>
<point f="166" d="-3"/>
<point f="333" d="-6.5"/>
<point f="577" d="-7"/>
<point f="1000" d="0.5"/>
<point f="2000" d="0"/>
<point f="4000" d="3"/>
<point f="8000" d="1.5"/>
<point f="16000" d="1.5"/>
<point f="20000" d="3.5"/>
</curve>
</equalizationeffect>
Not entirely sure if I have this loaded correctly, but I plugged in all those numbers into my EqualizerAPO and it seems to make the Celestee sound significantly worse.
You're lowering the response of the midrange and boosting the treble like you're trying to make them a v-shaped response? The timbre sounds very off with this preset.

Why not just bring the entire response down compared to the dip from 200Hz-500Hz? I feel like that'd be the place to start.
What reference are you aiming for? Do you have a specific target or set of headphones you use for a reference?

EDIT: Not trying to be rude, just want to figure out what kind of sound you're going for.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #332 of 634
It also has a new driver.
Has anyone put Celestee pads on an Elegia and seen what happens?

For me the biggest surprice.....the most balanced Tonality that i have ever heard from a Closed Back...unbelievable 👍👍👍
I was really shocked in positive way that this is possible

F992984B-BF7D-40EA-8B8C-B5F90D90FF9C.jpeg
EBC8E564-BC8C-4544-BB29-BE625956F67F.jpeg

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

PS.i hope France has enough Celestee Pads as spare parts in the future available lol

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #333 of 634
You would prefer this setup over the Celestee?

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #334 of 634
Not entirely sure if I have this loaded correctly, but I plugged in all those numbers into my EqualizerAPO and it seems to make the Celestee sound significantly worse.
You're lowering the response of the midrange and boosting the treble like you're trying to make them a v-shaped response? The timbre sounds very off with this preset.

Why not just bring the entire response down compared to the dip from 200Hz-500Hz? I feel like that'd be the place to start.
What reference are you aiming for? Do you have a specific target or set of headphones you use for a reference?

EDIT: Not trying to be rude, just want to figure out what kind of sound you're going for.
The most important part is this:
<point f="166" d="-5.5"/>
<point f="333" d="-6.5"/>
<point f="577" d="-3.5"/>
The rest was just remains of my experiments. What I'm trying to do is get rid of the congestion and nasal voices. It's not perfect as while voices are not that nasal anymore they've become a bit hollow but that's the only solution I've found yet. I'm still experimenting with it - if you have any ideas how to get rid of the issue I'd be more than happy to check it

Mar 13, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #335 of 634
You would prefer this setup over the Celestee?

What problem do all closed-back headphones (HD820, TH-900 Mk2, Stellia, Radiance, Denon D9200, etc.) have in common in terms of tonality?
They all have too much in the lower registers, which does not do justice to a balanced performance.
The reason for this is that with closed-back dynamic headphones, the Harman Target fshould be enjoyed with caution for closed back HPs, since the moving air mass in a closed-back model cannot escape (air pressure....which becomes disproportionately negatively apparent with an increase in volume).

Nomax

Ps.and for me and to my ears...i prefer the Elegia with the Celestee Pads over all closed back Models that i have ever heard....and i was hearing a lot 😉

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #336 of 634
Thanks, quite statement. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #337 of 634
What problem do all closed-back headphones (HD820, TH-900 Mk2, Stellia, Radiance, Denon D9200, etc.) have in common in terms of tonality?
They all have too much in the lower registers, which does not do justice to a balanced performance.
The reason for this is that with closed-back dynamic headphones, the Harman Target fshould be enjoyed with caution for closed back HPs, since the moving air mass in a closed-back model cannot escape (air pressure....which becomes disproportionately negatively apparent with an increase in volume).

Nomax

Ps.and for me and to my ears...i prefer the Elegia with the Celestee Pads over all closed back Models that i have ever heard....and i was hearing a lot 😉
BTW... All the Focal "closed backs" have a vent in or below the logo at the back of the cup.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #339 of 634
Can anyone recommend a varm sounding dap in range of 350$ - 800$ plan on using with my Celestee.

I like my Hiby R5 with the Celestee. It has however been replaced with Hiby R5 Saber, which may be more neutral, so I am not sure if it’s still available for sale new. All Hiby players have a system wide EQ-like functionality called MSEB, where you can tune the sound to your liking.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #340 of 634
I like my Hiby R5 with the Celestee. It has however been replaced with Hiby R5 Saber, which may be more neutral, so I am not sure if it’s still available for sale new. All Hiby players have a system wide EQ-like functionality called MSEB, where you can tune the sound to your liking.
Yes i read that Hiby R5 Saber is more neutral and the old R5 is out of stock everywhere.
And does it have enough power to drive the celestee even at loud volume or will it distort? I have a Teac ud505 which has enough power but i think it sound too cold, sharp some times and my galaxy A71 sounds crap too weak no impact.

How is the battery time and have you used the 4,4mm out to the Celestee?

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #341 of 634

Nomax

Well... As soon as I can get my hands on spare Celestee pads, I guess that's what's gonna happen.

I bought the dekoni sheepskin pads after various recommendations. Bass definitely increased on the Elegias but it was too bloated for me. I feel like the Celestee may also be too warm for my taste... I really do love the Elegias... They sound so spacious to me

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #343 of 634
BTW... All the Focal "closed backs" have a vent in or below the logo at the back of the cup.
Btw, I am sure Nomax is aware of that. He always takes a look at new headphones from all angles. :slight_smile:

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #344 of 634
Yes i read that Hiby R5 Saber is more neutral and the old R5 is out of stock everywhere.
And does it have enough power to drive the celestee even at loud volume or will it distort? I have a Teac ud505 which has enough power but i think it sound too cold, sharp some times and my galaxy A71 sounds crap too weak no impact.

How is the battery time and have you used the 4,4mm out to the Celestee?

It definitely has enough power — it’s 500mW at 32 ohm for balanced. I use the 4.4mm out but even the 3.5mm has enough power. The battery life is decent, it depends on whether you are streaming or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back