Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #348 of 634
And I’m interested in buying these. If anyone could provide advice on my cable question, please let me know. I also own the Focal Clear. So I’m looking for a closed back set that can be used with a balanced cable. I can afford the Stellia, but I like the style of the Celeste more. Would I need an aftermarket balanced cable? Feels like my question is being ignored. Thanks in advance
I use the Meze 2.5mm balanced cable with my Elegias. No issues.

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #349 of 634
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #352 of 634
Thanks i am also looking at Shanling m6 Pro have you heard it?

I have not.

Just to qualify my previous recommendation, I do think the Celestee needs a little bit of EQ whatever you end up choosing — although not much and not for all songs. Applying EQ also has the effect of gaining a little bit of depth in the soundstage. The pairing with the R5 is good, but using MSEB helps even out some of the rough edges. That’s why I like Hiby DAPs — you can use MSEB with any app.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #353 of 634
I have not.

Just to qualify my previous recommendation, I do think the Celestee needs a little bit of EQ whatever you end up choosing — although not much and not for all songs. Applying EQ also has the effect of gaining a little bit of depth in the soundstage. The pairing with the R5 is good, but using MSEB helps even out some of the rough edges. That’s why I like Hiby DAPs — you can use MSEB with any app.
I installed HiBy Music on my Fiio M11Pro, and the MSEB equalizer helps with tuning for various earphones. With my Elegias (with fenestrated sheepskin pads) I don't use any EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #356 of 634
Hi
Can you point us to where you got info on the new driver in the Celestee?

Thanks
I updated my original comment to correct my mistake. I mixed up my thoughts and was thinking about something completely different. I believe it's the same driver. My apologies.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #357 of 634
I have not.

Any suggestions on the EQ for the Celestee?

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #358 of 634
Any suggestions on the EQ for the Celestee?
I am still looking for the optimal EQ, but am attaching my current settings as a starting point. They are for a fixed band equalizer but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-002243.png
    Screenshot_20210316-002243.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #359 of 634
I started messing around with some EQ for like 30 minutes one night, but I don't usually use EQ and I didn't make much progress.

When I started messing around with the upper bass/lower midrange dip, it accented the slight recession in the presence region that can be seen on measurements. When I went to adjust that a bit, I started to end up back where I started in terms of tonal balance. At that point I gave up since I had more interesting things to look into.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #360 of 634
I started messing around with some EQ for like 30 minutes one night, but I don't usually use EQ and I didn't make much progress.

When I started messing around with the upper bass/lower midrange dip, it accented the slight recession in the presence region that can be seen on measurements. When I went to adjust that a bit, I started to end up back where I started in terms of tonal balance. At that point I gave up since I had more interesting things to look into.

I think that region might be best left alone (although I did mess with it in the above EQ). To me the biggest benefit comes from adjusting the 1-4 kHz region (reduce 1-2 kHz and increase 4 kHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back