Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Sep 25, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,366 of 1,719
Boo hiss.

Cheers for confirming.

Yep they do. The really disappointing aspect is that Focal will not admit there is an issue. I contacted their support and they said they tested some new firmware, they responded saying that these headphones work as intended.
So this means they intended the volume adjustment to be non-linear?? Seems bizarre to me....

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,367 of 1,719
Yep they do. The really disappointing aspect is that Focal will not admit there is an issue. I contacted their support and they said they tested some new firmware, they responded saying that these headphones work as intended.
So this means they intended the volume adjustment to be non-linear?? Seems bizarre to me....
Non-linear is a must when you have few steps. Afaik the Bathys has 16 steps so that could easily mean 4-5 db steps if they limit max and min volume significantly. One of the annoyances with the Bathys is that my preferred listening volume is between two steps so either too loud or to quiet.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,369 of 1,719
Non-linear is a must when you have few steps. Afaik the Bathys has 16 steps so that could easily mean 4-5 db steps if they limit max and min volume significantly. One of the annoyances with the Bathys is that my preferred listening volume is between two steps so either too loud or to quiet.
That's my favourite volume too in office environment, the one that doesn't exist. Between too low and too high

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,370 of 1,719
But isn’t that a problem of the source? Like I have those big steps on the iPhone. But with the Samsung I altered that with an additional Sound Assistant app so I can do 1db steps with one click. No problem at all for the Bathys. You just seam to have the wrong mobile 😜

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,371 of 1,719
But isn’t that a problem of the source? Like I have those big steps on the iPhone. But with the Samsung I altered that with an additional Sound Assistant app so I can do 1db steps with one click. No problem at all for the Bathys. You just seam to have the wrong mobile 😜
I think you are right and depends on the source, but also on the connection type. I feel that my mobile and Steam Deck have good volume steps when in DAC-mode.
3.5 instead does have big steps (edit, actually also bluetooth). I generally use this mode with portable consoles or with the RME ADI 2 (home consoles), but you could also use the source to adjust the volume.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,373 of 1,719
Looking forward to this myself, as the positioning of my MBP on my desk makes the cable route a little annoying (near my mouse).

Straight out of the phone to the side will be perfect.

Picked up the 15 Pro Max and gave this a shot today. It was what I’d hoped for, a far better solution than running out of my MBP, which as positioned, meant the cable was in the way. Naturally the sound is the same as it was from the MBP, and being within arms reach, volume control is even simpler. I’ll see how this goes but so far I’m not missing the desktop Apple Music interface.

Sitting on my desk mat with it’s integrated charger for my phone and Airpods Pro 2, I’ve got a top up charge to my phone, so this way it won’t inhibit my phones battery across the day. I’m still preferring to use my AirPods Pro 2 for calls over the Bathys. The ‘look’ on camera with clients and colleagues, as well as the superior ANC make switching worthwhile.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,374 of 1,719
Precisely the reason why I can't use them :frowning2:
Edit: just to add this, listening via Bluetooth to Soundcloud
Notch 0 - mute
Notch 1 - can barely hear something coming through
Notch 2 - bit louder, can hear all elements of the track
Notch 3 - approaching ideal listening level, starting to hear more bass
Notch 4 - WHAM!!! Huge jump in volume LOL, how Focal don’t see this is abnormal is really beyond me

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,375 of 1,719
I've had the Bathys for two weeks now and I'm loving the sound from them and they made my old gear sound muffled and boring..

However, I noticed that the fit became slightly more lose, causing the sound to change. Has anyone else experienced this? Kinda worried that if this gets worse that it will lose some of it's sparkle!

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,377 of 1,719
Yeah I will look at that but it aint too bad running over aptx or the audio cable or just a few cables to attach to my iPhone 13.
If I want to connect the Bathys with my Hiby RS6 by cable, I have to use the 3,5mm cable. USB-C not working either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back