Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,261 of 1,720
The 3,5 is the most useless feature and this is very sad. In this state, it would be more honest to just leave it out. Long latency worse audio etc. It would have been great to have the option, to use them passive with the 3,5 .

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,262 of 1,720
From another site - "People are stuck (out of habit) on thinking about digital protocol transports the way they think of analog audio electrical signals in wire - that somehow less-than-optimal conditions would result in a slight, audible degradation, and the worse the conditions, the more audible and less subtle the degradation.

This is completely, fundamentally wrong, categorically, on all counts, in the same way that saying 4 - 2 = 3.5 is wrong.

If your digital protocol transport has corrupted or dropped packets, you will hear that. You either hear data, or you hear the absence of data which will be a very obvious pop or bit of silence. There is no in-between state. And unless you have very VERY faulty USB hardware, if any number of packets did get corrupted in transit the protocol layer would detect that, they would be resent, and you would never notice. That's why USB has a protocol layer - to handle things like this transparently, for everything, the same way.

Packet transmission protocols (retransmission, checksumming, etc) are a solved problem in computing and have been for decades, and nothing about how audio is handled over those protocols involves unique considerations on that front.

There is exactly one thing you have to worry about with USB - ground loops. There are no other considerations. Everything you're worried about outside of that is something computer engineers and protocol designers have already thought about and solved decades ago.

Anyone arguing otherwise needs to clearly demonstrate how the "slight, but audible differences" they hear between USB cables can be described in terms of the USB packet transport protocol - if they do not, and cannot, they are, pardon my french, absolutely full of crap."

The big one for me is "There is no in-between state."

Just buy one that is reliable everything else is just fantasy - although I have to say that Starlight cable is seriously sexy :)

And as Soundguys put it "The best cable is whatever works."

https://www.soundguys.com/debunking-myths-about-audio-cables-13093/
Well, I thought there couldn´t be a difference, too. I am not a blind cable believer. And I am not new to this hobby and I am certainly not "full of crap".
I do have two very good ears though ... and last time I checked they were full of audio gold! :wink:
When I had the Bathys for a few weeks, I bought a cheap chifi lighning - USB-C cable (Meenova). Then I bought another cable (Mogami) with the same terminations, also from AliExpress, because it had a different length I wanted so I thought well, go get it. When I heard those two cables from the same mobile phone the difference wasn´t even "slight", it was laughable clear that they sounded different. The Meenova was rather neutral sounding while the Mogami had an inherent warmth. I couldn´t believe it, too, because, well, you will laugh at me, but I do believe in science, too, and I am - to repeat myself - not full of crap. Afterwards I made a blind test and asked my wife to help me with that. I had it ten times right. Those two cables were so easy to distinguish. That´s insane, I thought. Anyhow, that was the time when I began looking for USB upgrade cables ...

That being said, why don´t you go to a shop or buy the Wireworld cable online (and return it after two weeks) and test it for yourself? Maybe afterwords you would apologise to me. And if not (I don´t even know how trained your ears are) that´s fine by me either. As long as you are polite in this forum.

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,268 of 1,720
I can tell you whats not there.
LDAC.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #1,272 of 1,720
So just had a demo of Bathys. But really odd. So initially I just connected straight with a USB C to C cable. Fiio M15 noted a connected a USB device and I hit confirm to use it. When I did this audio was fairly quiet and could not be altered via the M15 or the headphones.

Guy in the store gave me a Fiio OTG adapter to plug cable into. But seemed to make no difference. When the pop up came up saying USB device plugged in, if I clicked cancel, audio still worked, but was now really loud, again no volume controls worked!

Via the settings within the Fiio music app ‘USB output’ was on. ‘USB volume control’ mode was ‘adaptable’ and could not be changed to ‘Software volume’ ‘background volume control’ was also on. I played with these settings but no difference! Could never change volume of plugged in, any ideas?

Posted in the M15 forum as well, but thought maybe this issue may occur in other devices as well?!?

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,273 of 1,720
Can anyone comment on the sync between picture and sound when using the headphone input please? If there really is a delay and the picture and sound aren't synced then these are a no go for airplane use which is a real shame...

Thanks

-Mat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back