Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Apr 23, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,158 of 1,723
Am I right in thinking that these headphones are a waste of time for Samsung mobile handsets due to Samsungs lack of support for AptX Adaptive and the lack of support for LDAC from Focal?

Shame as they seem a decent headphone but pointless if I'm restricted to AAC on my Samsung

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,159 of 1,723
Not necessarily, Samsung does have the regular aptx I think. For the first few months I used to listen Bathys via aptx on my Pixel 5 (Google also has weird politics toward codecs) and they sounded absolutely fine and still better than most other BT headsets with ldac/hd I've listened through the years. Now I have a cheapish Motorola and what do you know, not only it's a very competent phone, it has ALL codecs available. There is a slight difference between aptx and adaptive, but it's not something to write home about.

I guess you won't know until you try.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #1,160 of 1,723
Am I right in thinking that these headphones are a waste of time for Samsung mobile handsets due to Samsungs lack of support for AptX Adaptive and the lack of support for LDAC from Focal? ....
Not necessarily, Samsung does have the regular aptx ...
I agree with Zdzichon on this. Plus, I have a Samsung phone (S23U) and the Bathys. I have SoundPeats Opera5 which supports LDAC. I also have the FiiO BTR5 that does LDAC too that I have used with the Stellia. I can confirm Samsung does support AptX. It would have been nice to include the AptX Adaptive, HD, or lossless. It still works well nonetheless.

Before you can get into the issue where the lack of support of the various codecs, it's going to depend on your source material. If you're listening to something like YouTube Music or Spotify, probably not a significant issue. Will it sound good, sure. Will it sound the best, it depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're playing FLAC files or so other lossless formats, then you may notice a difference. If you're going that, Bluetooth is getting better, but not as good a using a USB or some other cord connection

On a side note, I personally would not choose a phone based on what Bluetooth codecs it supports. I would still consider it, but it would be significantly lower. I would have my primary factors be screen, battery, CPU, RAM, and storage--internal and possible SD card support). I do like DEX and the video output support is also things to consider. These phones are nothing more than pocket-sized PCs that can do phone calls. Thus, these are a bit more about convenience than trying to be an audiophile experience.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #1,161 of 1,723
If I go into developer options while my Bathys is connected to S23 Ultra it shows HD selected and AptX. UPDATE: Looking into it further it looks like HD Audio is a blanket indicator for any codec better than SBC, so AptX qualifies for that option to be selected but is not the same thing as AptX-HD.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,162 of 1,723
I agree with Zdzichon on this. Plus, I have a Samsung phone (S23U) and the Bathys. I have SoundPeats Opera5 which supports LDAC. I also have the FiiO BTR5 that does LDAC too that I have used with the Stellia. I can confirm Samsung does support AptX. It would have been nice to include the AptX Adaptive, HD, or lossless. It still works well nonetheless.

Before you can get into the issue where the lack of support of the various codecs, it's going to depend on your source material. If you're listening to something like YouTube Music or Spotify, probably not a significant issue. Will it sound good, sure. Will it sound the best, it depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're playing FLAC files or so other lossless formats, then you may notice a difference. If you're going that, Bluetooth is getting better, but not as good a using a USB or some other cord connection

On a side note, I personally would not choose a phone based on what Bluetooth codecs it supports. I would still consider it, but it would be significantly lower. I would have my primary factors be screen, battery, CPU, RAM, and storage--internal and possible SD card support). I do like DEX and the video output support is also things to consider. These phones are nothing more than pocket-sized PCs that can do phone calls. Thus, these are a bit more about convenience than trying to be an audiophile experience.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I own the Fiio BTR7 and the Shanling H7 so have devices that give me LDAC capability if I need to. I was more curious what differenc eit makes not having what is considered to be the 'gold standard' for higher bitrate streaming. My source files are Qobuz and Amazon HD as well stored music mainly in a mixture of FLAC 16 and 24bit.

My post wasn't really a dig at Focal or Samsung although maybe a little at Samsung for their closed shop approach to codec support (similar to Apple). I'm curious about the Bathys as seen a 2nd hand pair at a decent price but even at £500 I'd still like a product that gives me the best codec support possible and not having to compromise with what are preceived to be lesser codecs.

In terms of phone choice then we are getting more and more limited in our choice of handsets as they are all so similar nowadays. I agree that Bluetooth coced support is far down my list, screen, CPU etc come before that.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,163 of 1,723
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I own the Fiio BTR7 and the Shanling H7 so have devices that give me LDAC capability if I need to. I was more curious what differenc eit makes not having what is considered to be the 'gold standard' for higher bitrate streaming. My source files are Qobuz and Amazon HD as well stored music mainly in a mixture of FLAC 16 and 24bit.

My post wasn't really a dig at Focal or Samsung although maybe a little at Samsung for their closed shop approach to codec support (similar to Apple). I'm curious about the Bathys as seen a 2nd hand pair at a decent price but even at £500 I'd still like a product that gives me the best codec support possible and not having to compromise with what are preceived to be lesser codecs.

In terms of phone choice then we are getting more and more limited in our choice of handsets as they are all so similar nowadays. I agree that Bluetooth coced support is far down my list, screen, CPU etc come before that.
Bathys does support AptX Adaptive, and I use a BT transmitter dongle from PC that supports this codec. Very pleased with the resulting sound quality.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,164 of 1,723
Bathys does support AptX Adaptive, and I use a BT transmitter dongle from PC that supports this codec. Very pleased with the resulting sound quality.

It's my mobile handset that doesn't support the Aptx Adaptive.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,165 of 1,723
... Samsung although maybe a little at Samsung for their closed shop approach to codec support (similar to Apple). ...
Actually, I think this is more about them not willing to pay a licensing fee for the new AptX codecs than trying to push their own codec.

The phone comment was more based on this forum that some people may place a very high importance on codec support or the internal DAC. I do agree, smartphones are becoming less deferiationated every day.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,166 of 1,723
It's my mobile handset that doesn't support the Aptx Adaptive.
It's a bit cumbersome BUT the same dongle comes with a USB A --> C adapter that allows it to work from a DAP or phome that has USB C.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,167 of 1,723
For Samsung users with issues with volume steps get the Samsung Good Lock app from the Galaxy Store. Add the sound assistant module and you can change the size of volume steps (added non-sound related benefit - you also you can add a camera assistant which let's you reduce the amount of sharpening the camera applies).

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,169 of 1,723
You are the boss! This also fixed issue with two video app that can't play at one time.
Glad it helped, I only just found about the Good Lock app today but thought others might find it helpful.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,170 of 1,723
I think I'm at a happy place right now with my Bathys when I'm taking a walk outside or WFH/Cooking with the Clear (OG) when I'm tethered to my desk with a cold beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back