Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,126 of 1,723
I recommend changing the factory USB cable to a better one. I bought the Audioquest Forest myself and there is a clear improvement in the sound.
20230328_121519.jpg
So, you do realise that USB-C signal transmission is a digital only signal, so objectively any cable is as good as the next? 🤦‍♂️

I'm amazed folk still buy into this snake oil. I have a friend who is in the cable industry - albeit not specifically audio - and he's continually amused by the margins people make upselling cheap Chinese sourced cables and all the ridiculous claims made by the sellers.

What you subjectively hear, is obviously what you hear though...

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #1,127 of 1,723
I agree with both the previous posts. I agree with getting a better USB C. Only one with better throughput and better construction. Don't need anything that says specifically for audio. This makes sure the cable does develop a short anytime soon, can handle the data transfer more efficiently (not that it's a lot compared to video) and possibly faster charging time.

Most companies give people cheap USB cables. They work, but not the best performing.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,129 of 1,723
I agree with both the previous posts. I agree with getting a better USB C. Only one with better throughput and better construction. Don't need anything that says specifically for audio. This makes sure the cable does develop a short anytime soon, can handle the data transfer more efficiently (not that it's a lot compared to video) and possibly faster charging time.

Most companies give people cheap USB cables. They work, but not the best performing.
Yeah, for sure there is a difference in terms of longevity and potentially better throughput (frankly USB-C is a complete mess of different standards and cable specifications), but in terms of audible differences, absolutely not.

What irks is that most of these 'hifi' cable companies are using the same cheap cables bought for peanuts from China and then marked up with eye watering margins.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,130 of 1,723
This is unrelated to the cable discussion, but I reached out to Focal about the issue I'm having with high-pitched coil whine in the right earcup. It's the damn illuminated logo! Even when you turn it off in the app, it's still pulsating while the headphones search for a Bluetooth connection and that's what's responsible for the annoying pulsating noise.

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #1,131 of 1,723
This is unrelated to the cable discussion, but I reached out to Focal about the issue I'm having with high-pitched coil whine in the right earcup. It's the damn illuminated logo! Even when you turn it off in the app, it's still pulsating while the headphones search for a Bluetooth connection and that's what's responsible for the annoying pulsating noise.
Sounds like you have a slight short. Does it go away if the logo is not lit up?

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,132 of 1,723
... What irks is that most of these 'hifi' cable companies are using the same cheap cables bought for peanuts from China and then marked up with eye watering margins.
I love how still do the whole gold connectors and what not. That makes almost no difference. And USB cable don't suffer from interference. That's why cheap cables work well. Don't general last long since they're not very durable.

I find the power chord thing almost as bad. Most of the time, the interference isn't an issue unless is a crappy cable and it's near a speaker cable. A lot those "audio" power cords haven't been fire safety certified, so there is a risk of bad-stuff when them. I ordered a hospital grade power cord when I needed a longer cord for the K9 Pro. Hospitals have to deal with a lot of electronics and communications, so interference is something they have to be aware of.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,133 of 1,723
So, you do realise that USB-C signal transmission is a digital only signal, so objectively any cable is as good as the next? 🤦‍♂️

I'm amazed folk still buy into this snake oil. I have a friend who is in the cable industry - albeit not specifically audio - and he's continually amused by the margins people make upselling cheap Chinese sourced cables and all the ridiculous claims made by the sellers.

What you subjectively hear, is obviously what you hear though...
Difference between AQ Forest and china cables is that, at least for the 2.0 A->B cables, the forest had about half the rise time on the signal compared to a no name cable when hi-fi news measured the signal integrity. The no name cable they measured was around the limit for the USB 2.0 spec. The forest cables used to be close to the price of no name cables, but prices have gone up a lot for them in the last few years. Belkin makes cheap cables of good quality and you have others as well, but would steer clear of no name for audio. If it makes a difference depends on the gear used. Basically quality of transceivers, how much bad signal integrity affects them, noise isolation of the USB port from audio circuitry etc.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,135 of 1,723
Roon Arc with USB Driver Audio On is deal breaker, Qoubuz app and Tidal alone don't sound that good vs Roon Arc with Bathys. Only if Bathys have more volume steps...

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #1,136 of 1,723
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,137 of 1,723
Hello, just a quick question about EQ – I am considering buying a USB DAC and use Bathys with 3.5mm Jack. I have heard EQ presets are working on all connection types – BT, USB and Jack. I would like confirm if someone already tested it, so: If I set custom or the new Dynamic EQ preset in the Focal app, that it’s going to affect sound also in Jack mode?

Thanks a lot.

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,139 of 1,723
Hello, just a quick question about EQ – I am considering buying a USB DAC and use Bathys with 3.5mm Jack. I have heard EQ presets are working on all connection types – BT, USB and Jack. I would like confirm if someone already tested it, so: If I set custom or the new Dynamic EQ preset in the Focal app, that it’s going to affect sound also in Jack mode?

Thanks a lot.
Preset EQ will be saved but no point in using the Bathys in 3.5mm mode with outside DAC since they have their own DAC integrated. They're an *active* headphone that have an integrated DAC and DSP that is *always* being used, no matter how you plug them in.

You'd literally be doing a digital to analog conversion that would then be converted to digital and then back to analog. That just adds unnecessary conversion stages...

Why not just run them directly off your USB port. That's the whole point of DAC mode and the advantage of having an integrated DAC. Less hardware to carry.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,140 of 1,723

Thanks a lot.

Preset EQ will be saved but no point in using the Bathys in 3.5mm mode with outside DAC since they have their own DAC integrated. They're an *active* headphone that have an integrated DAC and DSP that is *always* being used, no matter how you plug them in.

You'd literally be doing a digital to analog conversion that would then be converted to digital and then back to analog. That just adds unnecessary conversion stages...

Why not just run them directly off your USB port. That's the whole point of DAC mode and the advantage of having an integrated DAC. Less hardware to carry.
Also, I would like to add, is that the 3.5mm port sounds worst. Even the bt connection sounds considerably better. So forget about 3.5 (except you really need it for eg PlayStation). USB DAC sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back