Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #1,037 of 1,723
i have a basic question - how do i use the DAC mode? my pc's motherboard uses the ALC1220-VB chipset. do i need to buy something extra to use the DAC mode? it would be nice to be able to use these fully lossless sometimes.
Hello,
DAC Mode uses an internal DAC of the Bathys. Only thing you need is to provide a datalink between your terminal and the headphones, like a USB-C to USB-C cable !

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,038 of 1,723
Does the standby mode work the same on PC? I think my Bathys is constantly on and thus draining battery while not in use.
The Bathys have an on/off switch. Just turn the Bathys off when not in use.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,040 of 1,723
I loved my time with the Bathys but ultimately the fact that ANC is always on with them drove me to return them. ANC is so fatiguing when it's not needed that I just found myself not using them for anything but travel, which made it hard to justify the price.

It's a shame because the fact I can use it as a Lightning DAC + the general SQ made it almost my perfect headphone.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,041 of 1,723
Hello,
DAC Mode uses an internal DAC of the Bathys. Only thing you need is to provide a datalink between your terminal and the headphones, like a USB-C to USB-C cable !
I’m actually using this right now with Qobuz on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Huge improvement in sound vs AAC Bluetooth on the exact same track

Oh this is even better… iPhone 12 Pro Max —> lightning/usb-c wire —> iFi xDSD Gryphon —> 3.5mm analog wire —> Bathys

It gives me access to all of the Gryphon’s options (Xbass, etc) and enough juice to listen comfortably. My SP3000 struggles to drive the Bathys

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,043 of 1,723
Guys, can you also hear a pulsating coil whine in the right ear cup when the Bathys is searching for a Bluetooth connection? I had two units by now and both did it, so I start to wonder if it's normal or at least a known issue.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,044 of 1,723
Just a follow up to my issue of the Distortion/Clipping on certain older tracks at maximum volume, I actually sent back my pair and got another replacement from a different store, same issue, so it is there even though Focal say it shouldn't be, however I am still going to keep them as I am not going to listen at max volume anyway and I love the sound of these headphones, they sound amazing.
I too have just purchased a set here in the UK. Love the headphones, sound profile etc. But the clipping is driving me mad and in addition the DAC mode is extremely muffled and I've attached it to my PC, Laptop and Mobile. Maybe it's a faulty UK batch perhaps? Clasping at straws I know.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,045 of 1,723
Man that’s a bummer. There’s definitely a noticeable increase in quality for me when I go from Bluetooth (AAC on iPhone, and Aptx with Nvidia shield and SP3000) to wired DAC with iPhone and iPad. Have you tried using the 3.5mm analog wire? I’ve done that with my SP3000 and it sounds pretty great too.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,048 of 1,723
New iOS / iPad App update with new firmware (1.5.1). Downloaded. There is a new "Dynamic" EQ preset. Text says it mimics the Harmon curve. Need to listen more to make a judgement.
Any sign of LDAC being activated yet?

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,050 of 1,723
I too have just purchased a set here in the UK. Love the headphones, sound profile etc. But the clipping is driving me mad and in addition the DAC mode is extremely muffled and I've attached it to my PC, Laptop and Mobile. Maybe it's a faulty UK batch perhaps? Clasping at straws I know.
I am in the UK as well, my set was purchased from morecoco (thanks again guys!). I do not have clipping issues at all, even at high volume.

I use my set with all its connections based on my needs. DAC-mode sounds clean enough for me, better than wired/bluetooth, maybe less relaxed but it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back