Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,021 of 1,723
The internal DAC overrides anything external, any audio signal from the 3.5 mm cable goes through an analog to digital process before sending it to the internal DAC for digital to analog (with DSP) so there's not a lot of reason to use an external source unless you want to EQ on top of the DSP applied.
Thanks for the prompt reply; it’s curious because the mojo was controlling the volume and thus amplification. And I thought the internal dac must be turned on and accessed via the usbc dac port/cable. But I guess I’m wrong 😑

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,022 of 1,723
I just got a usbc female otg to lightning adapter from b&h photo online waiting for it to arrive. It’s very hard to find but a few places have it.

I actually got one off Amazon for an iBasso dongle, I'm pretty happy with it, tbh.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,023 of 1,723
image0.jpeg

The ultimate office headphones, I swear.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,024 of 1,723
Thanks for the prompt reply; it’s curious because the mojo was controlling the volume and thus amplification. And I thought the internal dac must be turned on and accessed via the usbc dac port/cable. But I guess I’m wrong 😑
There is an ADC somewhere to take analog signal to digital on the 3.5mm jack so you will always have an inferior signal from a technical perspective, but might enjoy the coloration that is added. Basically mojo->bathys is DSP->DAC->ADC->DSP->DAC while ideal is USB->bathys which would be DSP->DAC with DSP including volume processing.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,026 of 1,723
Is anyone else bothered that when you pick the Bathys up from their case, the cups are backwards and need to be turned over before put on? It’s a small complaint, but I don’t understand why the cups couldn’t have swiveled in both directions so you can put them away and back on in a more natural way.
Yes! Found this super annoying when I had them

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #1,027 of 1,723

The ultimate office headphones, I swear.

I think so, the ability to just plug them in via the USB and have high quality sound is fantastic. They sound great on the go too but the way they offer the option to use their DAC via USB C means you can take them to spaces like the office and use them with higher resolution sources without having to worry about bringing your own DAC to the office. I think the Bathy's are perfect for that type of use case where you're an audiophile but wanting to use headphones in multiple spaces or even on the go via a laptop or something as you work while commuting and so forth.

Yeah you're mistaken in this case, the Bathy's has no passive mode so the dac is always engaged.

They'd probably sound pretty rough if they did have a passive mode because they're only able to get the tuning they have with DPS correction. No idea what the passive sound is like but given Focal don't want them used like that it's probably not ideal.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,028 of 1,723
I have a couple of observations after two weeks of use:

1. The headphones are quite boomy compared to the Clear OG, kind of like a default Dolby format. Is this just the sound signature that Focal went with? Everything feels like a theater, great for movies but some songs i feel the instruments are drowned out. I don't have any EQ set in the app or Peace.

2. You have to be really careful with volume control in windows, because at certain points the volume just goes through the roof in one of the cups, for me it's the right one. Is this a bug Focal needs to fix or something owners will have to navigate through?

3. is it possible to turn off the headphone LED in USB mode? I can set it off in bluetooth but it will stay on in usb.

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,029 of 1,723
I have a couple of observations after two weeks of use:

1. The headphones are quite boomy compared to the Clear OG, kind of like a default Dolby format. Is this just the sound signature that Focal went with? Everything feels like a theater, great for movies but some songs i feel the instruments are drowned out. I don't have any EQ set in the app or Peace.

2. You have to be really careful with volume control in windows, because at certain points the volume just goes through the roof in one of the cups, for me it's the right one. Is this a bug Focal needs to fix or something owners will have to navigate through?

3. is it possible to turn off the headphone LED in USB mode? I can set it off in bluetooth but it will stay on in usb.

- In BT mode, set the LED to off from the app

- Turn off the headphone

- Plug in the usb cable from headphone to computer

- Turn to DAC mode.

2. no Windows user

1. without eq they are not listeneable for me. Most important thing would be to pull down the bass! (Especially midbass that bleeds into the lower mids … and then raise the upper mids/ highs a bit) so you get closer to harman (if you would want that)

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,030 of 1,723

- In BT mode, set the LED to off from the app

- Turn off the headphone

- Plug in the usb cable from headphone to computer

- Turn to DAC mode.

2. no Windows user

1. without eq they are not listeneable for me. Most important thing would be to pull down the bass! (Especially midbass that bleeds into the lower mids … and then raise the upper mids/ highs a bit) so you get closer to harman (if you would want that)

Thank you, no LED now in USB. I normally eq to Harman when I am at desk, but how to do it when portable and on the go? I don't know of any parametric apps and don't want to connect qudelix to this.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #1,033 of 1,723
I must be becoming a basshead, because I cannot imagine a reason for decreasing the lows in Bathys :) The bass is controlled and the accent is on subbass anyway. I'd even welcome a little more slam and impact on some tracks.
Hehe, I hear you! Nevertheless, in my view, the mid bass is the problem. It masks the audio information of the mids.

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,034 of 1,723
I love the sound signature of the Bathys. It's more fun and 'commercial' if that makes sense, not analytical and I like it. They're my on the go headphones so I just want fun listening.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #1,035 of 1,723
i just got these headphones and am super excited! i plan to only use them on my PC, and my PC only has the classic aptx. i just bought a USB dongle with aptx adaptive, so hopefully that improves the sound.

i have a basic question - how do i use the DAC mode? my pc's motherboard uses the ALC1220-VB chipset. do i need to buy something extra to use the DAC mode? it would be nice to be able to use these fully lossless sometimes.

thanks very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back