Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #991 of 1,723
My set unfortunately has a very audible white noise many times higher than my Sony XM3’s that i have used for years. The Sony’s also have a very slight hum with ANC but never at a level where it bothered me. I cant use the Bathys for audiobooks or quiet evening listening like i have used the Sony’s - it constantly bothers me and I don’t enjoy the experience.
They are great on travel and in the office though and you get a lot of great HiFi for your money - especially considering how much you have to pay to get a significant upgrade…
Just such a shame about the white noise….

Yeah I guess I'll just think myself lucky that I can't hear that. I'm not sure if I'm either.

a) I'm not perceiving it. I don't know why this would be but just as some people can't tell the difference between lossless and compressed formats it's possible not to be able to perceive a difference.
b) I can't hear it. For instance, people often can't hear higher pitch sounds.
c) My headphones don't produce it.

Like I said if I deliberately move into a completely silent room like my bathroom with the lights off I can hear maybe a 1db sound but it's almost impossible to hear in any real setting.

So I'm leaning towards it being actual variance in the output from different models, but it'd be good to really test that and see if this defect exists. Because if it does, it seems really common. It seems like maybe 30% or more of users are hearing this issue.

Nura has major logistics issues - the BT transmitter was a freebie with my NuraTrue Pro order xD I hope to receive it sometime, I have very low expectations from Kickstarter and Nura.

Ahh, that's very fair. I was just curious because I have the NuraTrue but not the Pro. The True is nice but the Bathy's sound a lot better. Much fuller, richer sound, particularly detailed in the mid and treble areas by comparison. Still, I think the NuraTrue's are the best truewireless earbuds in that vague pricerange, I do like them a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #992 of 1,723
Interesting, I've only used mine with my phone which is Apt-X Adaptive, at some point will connect to my tablet and see if any audible difference.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #993 of 1,723
I’m looking for a pair of used Bathys. I posted a WTB listing several days ago in the classifieds, but figured I might post something here as well since presumably there are quite a few owners in this thread. If anyone is thinking about selling their pair, please feel free to reach out.
Thanks.

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #995 of 1,723
Is there any noticeable noise when you switch from ANC to Transparency or when switching to any mode? I hear small pause and then audible noise from headphone before it switches mode.

Also, anyone able to use it seamlessly between Mac and iPhone. Going from Mac to iPhone is not smooth and it automatically goes to back to Mac while I'm in the middle of the call on iPhone.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #996 of 1,723
I think everyone is different. If I am thinking about issues at work while going for a walk with headphones, or my wife is mad at me for buying another pair of headphones, I am not focusing on the music as much. I am an audio engineer with a recording studio. When I sit down with headphones, I focus on the music. When I want to have some fun, the music is there to put me in a good mood as we focus on other tasks.
Trade in wife on a new wife. Worked great for me! :)

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #997 of 1,723
Does anyone know the battery replacement process? I've read that Focal will charge $200 for a claim. Is it covered in the initial 3 year warranty? I would like to finally have amazing wireless sound but $800 for an eventually dead headphone is tough to swallow.

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #1,001 of 1,723
I like being proactive but people are still using their headphones which are seveal years old. You should not even have to think about replacing the battery for at least 4 to 5 years from now. By then you will want the new and improved Bathys.

I took the plunge on an open-box from headphones.com and am very happy, best Bluetooth experience I've had and it feels like I was in sony and apple mud all these years. Can't wait to tinker with the USB dac mode.

Aptx adaptive with creative dongle on the PS5 is a perfect experience for those wondering, I just need a movie streaming device as Apple TV only giving me SBC codec.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,005 of 1,723
Just ordered a pair, but I'm pretty nervous about the bulk and clamp. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back