Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #631 of 1,723
Here's an idea: why not use something similar to the Acoustic Metamaterial Tuning System (AMTS) developed by and now being used by Dan Clark Audio in wireless Bluetooth headphones where the is a lack of proper acoustic design spaces due to the accommodating of technology circuits and batteries.

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #632 of 1,723
Yes. You made the point. I totally agree. Bathys is only for people who loves WIRELESS with a taste of HIFI headphones. "Sound" is NOT a PRIMARY factor. Therefore, it is NOT in my collection. For me, Bathys will never replace Celestee, and I like Celestee a lot. In fact, I highly doubt If focal put BT, ANC, DAC functions in Celestee chassis, it will never sound as good as Celestee now. But if Bathys are regular wired headphones without tech and batteries, it will probably sound a lot better due to lacking proper acoustic design spaces to accommodate technology circuits and batteries.
I have to disagree with that. If you love sound and that is a primary factor, you will buy the best headphones you can afford wired or wireless. If you don't like wireless headphones then that's your choice and you don't have to buy them. Comparing wired headphones to wireless headphones is an apples to oranges comparison and should only be stated as a probable baseline at the most. I don't think anyone here thinks that the current state of Bluetooth technology is on par to wired or can currently replace it either. In the end good sound is just that no matter how you get it.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #633 of 1,723
I have to disagree with that. If you love sound and that is a primary factor, you will buy the best headphones you can afford wired or wireless. If you don't like wireless headphones then that's your choice and you don't have to buy them. Comparing wired headphones to wireless headphones is an apples to oranges comparison and should only be stated as a probable baseline at the most. I don't think anyone here thinks that the current state of Bluetooth technology is on par to wired or can currently replace it either. In the end good sound is just that no matter how you get it.
I didn't buy Bathys. But I like the comfort and compact that Bathys brings. I just wish Focal make a wired version of Bathys with better sound and materials. Currently there is only a few hi-end wired portable headphones available. Andrew, Chrono from headphone.com also realized this in the video.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #634 of 1,723
I didn't buy Bathys. But I like the comfort and compact that Bathys brings. I just wish Focal make a wired version of Bathys with better sound and materials. Currently there is only a few hi-end wired portable headphones available. Andrew, Chrono from headphone.com also realized this in the video.
I don't want to derail this thread but why does it have to be Focal? I've been commuting with the Meze Liric for a week now and I'm happy with it. If Focal doesn't want to make a portable wired headphone there's nothing wrong with looking elsewhere :)

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #635 of 1,723
I don't want to derail this thread but why does it have to be Focal? I've been commuting with the Meze Liric for a week now and I'm happy with it. If Focal doesn't want to make a portable wired headphone there's nothing wrong with looking elsewhere :)
I have tried Liric in the store before and I don't love the sound signature, and i don't think it worth 2k. Beside Liric, DCA noir, that's pretty much it. I love Focal's house sound that's why I pray focal to make one. Bathys is not good enough.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #636 of 1,723
I have to disagree with comparing the Bathys to other Focal headphones. And it is because of what you're saying. The Bathys is a self-contained unit. The other Focal headphones, you need to bring more equipment, which a bare minimum is a wire. Many portable DAC/amps. It's not a true apple-to-apple comparison.

The issue is that that are too many variables that cannot be controlled/removed. It's possible to use the same DAC or amp, but it has to be through a 3.5mm unbalanced output. The minor problem here, you can't use the same cable; so at best you can only use cables of similar build and type. If you use the USB C DAC mode, you're comparing the differing DACs and speakers. If you have used the Bathys with an external DAC or amp, it can have a different experience because "coloring" of the DAC or volume difference because of power. If you could get the variables the same where you're only comparing the speakers, it would not be unreasonable to have a very similar sound.

That said, it's not unreasonable to discuss the sound tonal differences and use the other headphones are reference points. This allows the reader to understand the differences or similarities being discussed. In this kind of setting, most comparisons are about which is better, which in this case is not really reasonable. It's about the problem to be resolved. Understand what the Bathys are trying are to fill. It's a very portable, travel-friendly, and self-contained headphone with significantly better "sound" for people who learn or are audiophiles, of which there are very few. Sony, Bose, Apple, Beats, etc do not get close to the mark.

In fact, I think it is great that despite the main purpose, they made the headphones more robust by including USB C DAC and the 3.5mm port. I cannot think of headphone that includes a DAC you can use via USB cable. There are not many that include 3.5mm port; although not the biggest fan of having to turn on the headphones in this mode, but it's obvious to make use the ANC. They should have included a truly passive mode even though the ANC would not be accessible.

The bottom line, is one really going to use the Bathys to replace Celeste, Radiance... it's possible. Stellia, I would assume highly unlikely. Clear or Clear MG, is another possibility, but it the "sound" would not be the primary reason. More reasonably, I think Bathys is complementary headphones to use on the go or traveling or when moving about the house, and don't want to worry a cable being caught on something such as during house cleaning. Anatoly, and weak evidence to this point, I use myself. I bought this specifically for travel and doing things around the house. I have TWS IEMs that work fine, but I wanted something out of my ear around the house. I have a portable DAC/amp I can use, but I did not to worry about the cable getting caught on a cabinet handle or something and the headphones flying off. The additional to use traveling is a nice bonus for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, I too live in an area, and wearing these outside the home is asking to be attacked. I would not use these in the gym; I think TWS EIMs are more appropriate because of the sweat or work equipment potentially hitting them.
Traveling alot in my work, both train and plane. For me BT is THE solution. As a hign end nörd :) the Bathys is an revelation to go with. Home state of the art gear is a totally different. Bathys give me good musical experience over a great singel malt at the airport bar!!!!

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #638 of 1,723
In fact, I think it is great that despite the main purpose, they made the headphones more robust by including USB C DAC and the 3.5mm port. I cannot think of headphone that includes a DAC you can use via USB cable. There are not many that include 3.5mm port; although not the biggest fan of having to turn on the headphones in this mode, but it's obvious to make use the ANC. They should have included a truly passive mode even though the ANC would not be accessible.
There are quite a few headphones that can be used via USB cable, but some draw too much power to be usable with phones due to trying to charge, at least on iphones. Shure solved this by allowing users to disable charging while on so that it's powerdraw is low enough that you can use USB with an adapter on an iphone. The nice thing about DAC mode on Bathys is that you get a physical switch that disables charging while running USB cable for sound.

Bathys are always on due to not wanting to change sound signature too much. Most likely there is significant DSP work on the frequency response at all times and there is a good chance that the passive mode would be quite bad.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #641 of 1,723
I'm looking forward to Resolve's review.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #645 of 1,723
Interesting debate, I think we are seeing the start of wireless headphones being able to compete with their wired counterparts, it's the inevitable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back