Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #466 of 1,723
I’ve used the Bathys for some phone calls over the last week and people tell me my voice is crystal clear. Even when I was outside with a wee bit of wind noise
I have had no complaints wtth phone calls. In fact, some mentioned it was a lot quiter compared to other headphones I use, especially when I was vacuuming. My vacuum isn't that load as far as vacuums are concerned.

I have been told I was hard to hear, but turned out I had the headphones on backwards, LOL. When I flipped them, problem solved.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #468 of 1,723
Just received mine. A few things.

The built in audio feedback is unpleasantly loud, is there any way to turn down? It seems to be independent of the volume setting.

When set to "Transparent" there's a strong background hiss. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Mine has hiss in Transparency, but I don’t see anyone else mention it so not sure it’s normal or not.
Does the other ANC mode have less feedback to you?

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #469 of 1,723
Mine has hiss in Transparency, but I don’t see anyone else mention it so not sure it’s normal or not.
Does the other ANC mode have less feedback to you?
Mine also has hiss in transparency.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #473 of 1,723
No other ANC headphone model I've tried (and I've only tried a few others) have had audio feedback this loud.
I’ve only tried a few also but both were stronger than the Bathys so I can’t be much help.
I heard it, but I thought it was my tinnitus. I only really noticed it if i'm playing nothing or the outside noise isn't very loud.
I don’t find it to be a intrusive sound but probably good for people to know about.
Better to know it’s normal

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #474 of 1,723
I’ve only tried a few also but both were stronger than the Bathys so I can’t be much help.
I wrote to them to ask if there was any way to lower the volume of the feedback sounds, but haven't heard from them (that was six days ago; a previous request from a few weeks ago remains unanswered too). In any case, I've returned them as I found the ANC to have an unpleasant effect on my ears – compounded by the audio feedback and the strong emphasis in the bass drum register.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #475 of 1,723
I wrote to them to ask if there was any way to lower the volume of the feedback sounds, but haven't heard from them (that was six days ago; a previous request from a few weeks ago remains unanswered too). In any case, I've returned them as I found the ANC to have an unpleasant effect on my ears – compounded by the audio feedback and the strong emphasis in the bass drum register.
Oh, I thought the feedback you were referring to was the ANC, do you mean the sounds from your phone(ringer, notifications, opening apps, etc…?)

If that’s the case you adjust them in your phones settings.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #477 of 1,723
I mean the audio feedback – the built-in sounds – when changing settings.
Yeah those sounds are ridiculously loud. Either way I'm probably not keeping the Bathys. Just waiting on the 5909 to arrive so I can compare back to back with the Mu7 as well.

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #478 of 1,723
In a couple of reviews I've seen it's mentioned that a regular Lightning to USB-C cable doesn't supply enough power for the Bathys to run in DAC mode and that it's necessary to use an adapter. Any suggestions what kind of adapter would work?
I use the Hidizs LT03, it works fine (iPhone 13 Pro, Jack Whites album Fear of the Dawn shows 24bit/96kHz when playing in Apple Music).
I had an error message yesterday, something about "not enough output power". After a iPhone restart it worked again. I tried another USB-C-cable, that's probably why it required a restart.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #479 of 1,723
Climbing The Wireless Ladder

I've been using and collecting wireless Bluetooth over ear headphones for several years now. I started with a pair of headphones costing around $100 which were just okay. I've since passed them along to a family member. Then I picked up a pair of the Sony WH1000XM3s and these were, as should be expected, a major step up both in sound quality and noise cancellation. Truly a very nice set of headphones but I was sure that sound quality could be improved.

Sony case.jpg

When the Drop Panda headphones became available, I picked up a pair. No noise cancellation but a big step up in sound quality compared to the Sony WH1000XM3. I happily lived with the Pandas when noise cancellation was not required, such as while walking outside I live in a relatively quiet suburban area), but when noise cancellation was required, such as when travelling, I used the Sony WH1000XM3.

panda case.jpg

Since most of my wireless headphone listening was done when noise cancellation was not needed, I began to look for wireless headphones with better sound quality than the Pandas. I found a used pair of the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless on the Head-Fi classified with a price I just couldn't resist and being a big fan of the Beyerdynamic house sound (I own 7 different Beyerdynamic headphones) I picked them up. The Amiron Wireless are a noticeable step up from the Pandas but like the Pandas these headphones do not have ANC (active noise cancellation).

Just as I did with the Pandas, I happily used the Amiron Wireless during my frequent long walks and the Sony WH1000XM3 when travelling but then I saw that the Focal Bathys were being released. Since I also own three other Focal headphones (Radiance, Clear MG and Elear), all of which I really enjoy, I ordered the Bathys. Upon their arrival I put them through their paces to make such that everything worked and then burned them in for about 50 hours.

bathys case.jpg

Okay so now you know a bit of my history with wireless headphones so I can get down to the heart of this little review. However, before I do that, I really need to say in no uncertain terms that the USB DAC feature of the Bathys is a game changer. As far as I know no other wireless headphone offers this feature and only one other headphone that I know of, that being the AKG N90Q, has this ability. While the AKGs have a USB DAC mode it is limited to use with a laptop or desktop PC and does not work with any portable device that I own since the AKG N90Q in DAC mode requires too much power. Yes, I also own the AKG N90Q. Granted using the USB DAC mode on the Bathys does require a wired connection but the Bathys work flawlessly with my iPhone 12 when used in the USB DAC mode (iPhone -> Apple lightening to USB-A camera adapter -> USB-A to USB-C cable -> Bathys). The Bathys USB DAC mode also works with an iPad Air and a Fire HD 10 Plus (both with a USB-C outputs). No more worrying about Apple's less than desirable Bluetooth codec or any other Bluetooth codec for that matter. Just plug in the Bathys and stream music in high resolution flac (up to 24bit/192kHz) from the iPhone into the Bathys. Oh and it sounds great!

IMG_8328.jpg

And now finally on to the comparisons. Before I began doing the wireless Bluetooth comparisons, I did some quick comparisons using the headphones in "passive" wired mode with an Oppo HA-1 desktop DAC/headphone amp. The Amiron Wireless and the Panda do not need to be powered to be used with a wired connection, in fact the Panda cannot be powered on when used with a wired connection. The Sony can be used with the power off but sound really terrible. Both the Sony and the Bathys were used with the power and ANC on. The wired listening served to confirm what I wrote above, namely that in order of overall sound quality the headphones are the Sony WH1000XM3, the Drop Panda, the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless and the Focal Bathys.

side by side.jpg

open cases.jpg

closed cases.jpg

For the wireless Bluetooth testing I used an iPhone 12 Pro Max and streamed music from Qobuz. All four headphones have iOS apps which feature differing degrees of customization. The Sony uses the "Headphone" app, the Panda uses the third party app "SoundID", the Amiron Wireless uses the "MIY" app and the Bathys use the Focal app. All headphones were used with their respective app also being used. And of course, since the comparisons were done using an iPhone only one Bluetooth codec was used: AAC (Advanced Audio Codec)

Once again, my listening using Bluetooth reconfirmed the overall sound quality of the four headphones, even when used with their respective apps, namely that in order of overall sound quality the headphones are the Sony WH1000XM3, the Drop Panda, the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless and the Focal Bathys.

My listening notes for each headphone via Bluetooth:

Sony WH1000XM3 - somewhat "dark" and boxy or closed in sounding with fairly decent high end and somewhat muddy sounding bass. Okay for travelling and when good noise cancellation is needed.

Drop Panda - less "dark" than the Sony with a very nice high end but a little light in the bass. Fairly open sound for a portable closed back headphone.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless - now things are starting to get interesting. More open sounding with very good high end and rich, deep bass. To be fair, the Amiron Wireless are full size, over ear headphones and are more suited to wearing around the house or office and are not really suited for travelling, other than when sitting in a hotel room.

amiron bathys 1.jpg

amiron bathys 2.jpg

Focal Bathys - like the Amiron Wireless the Bathys are major step up from the Sony WH1000XM3 and the Drop Panda, with crisp high end, great bass and a nice, balanced sound. Unlike the Amiron Wireless the Bathys are true portable headphones with slightly smaller ear cups but with over 95% of the sound of a full size, over ear headphone.

For me the Focal Bathys is the clear winner among these four wireless headphones with the best overall sound and the best feature set, especially the USB DAC mode. While the need to have the Bathys powered on when used in passive wired mode with a desktop headphone amp may seem inconvenient, the noise cancellation is active and comes in handy in many situations. Due to the wonderful and unique (at this time) USB DAC mode and the full size headphone sound I would say that despite their relatively high price the Bathys are actually a bargain since all one now needs to listen to high resolution music on headphones is a compatible mobile device, the correct cables and adapters, a music streaming subscription and of course, the Focal Bathys.

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #480 of 1,723
My only complaint with Focal Clear MG is that it sometimes can produce some click/noise from the headband construction when I move my head. Is this a problem with the Bathys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back