Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #496 of 1,745
“…they're a Burr-Brown DAC based on one of the YouTube reviews”

Would you mind sharing a YouTube link to that review?

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #498 of 1,745
How does one use the USB C mode? Only with a PC?
PC, MacBook or iPad works.

Works with iPhone with an OTG adapter that accepts USB-C.

It's mentioned on this thread a few times.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #500 of 1,745
Update:
  • Been using the USB-C DAC for the rest of the day today listening to a mixture of genres at all sample rates and I feel like I've inadvertently picked up a pair of normal closed back Focal headphones. You quickly forget that these are bluetooth headphones.
  • The soundstage is definitely narrower compared to the Focal Clear [USB-C DAC Mode]
  • The imaging is not as obvious as the Focal Clear [USB-C DAC Mode]
  • The details are superb though and you can hear it, but not as sharp as the Focal Clear [USB-C DAC Mode]
  • Songs feel smoother (yet highly resolving) with the Bathys, while the Clears are more defined and textured [USB-C DAC Mode]
  • iOS volume at 50%-65% is more than enough for me vs. BT Mode where I have to crank it to 75%+
I'll say again, the BT mode is fantastic and very impressive. Pull out the USB-C if you want to see hear these in their final form.

Listening to Michael Buble's latest album “Higher” and songs are punchy and smooth. Hearing the instruments in the background is exciting while the vocals are still pronounced.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #501 of 1,745
I much prefer the Bathys BT to the Focal Clears. The Clears are so dark sounding that I never really hear any details. Now the Stellia are a different story but I'd take the Bathys over the Clears any day.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #502 of 1,745
I much prefer the Bathys BT to the Focal Clears. The Clears are so dark sounding that I never really hear any details. Now the Stellia are a different story but I'd take the Bathys over the Clears any day.
That's the first time I'm hearing the Clears being described as dark.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #503 of 1,745
Ive got all 3 id probably rank it something like Stellia >> Clear >>>> Bathys

I hear a pretty large gap between the two in terms of detail and tonal balance. Totally to be expected given the Bathys are cb. Id find it very hard to believe anybody would prefer them ovet the Clear unless they had a gigantic preference to Bathys tuning, in which case just eq the clear

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #504 of 1,745
Ive got all 3 id probably rank it something like Stellia >> Clear >>>> Bathys

I hear a pretty large gap between the two in terms of detail and tonal balance. Totally to be expected given the Bathys are cb. Id find it very hard to believe anybody would prefer them ovet the Clear unless they had a gigantic preference to Bathys tuning, in which case just eq the clear
Problem for me with the Clears is it's all bass (glorious bass) and the upper mids/lower treble seem way too recessed (vocals don't have definition etc). The Stellias are the opposite and I've played with cabling and ear pads to try and get a good balance but I've given up on the Clears. In all fairness, I don't have the best hearing anymore (60 years old and played in rock bands lol).

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #505 of 1,745
Update as my Focal Bathys came in and went out for a 2 hour (4 mile walk) with ANCs on with battery at 100%
  • Right away the sound quality is impressive and made me go wow. This was coming from the KEF Mu7. I'm either really preferring the Focal house sound or the punch/slam from the Bathys added clean energy that the KEFs more congested sounded for close backs.
  • USB-C Mode: Wow - they're a big step up from BT mode and apparently they're a Burr-Brown DAC based on one of the YouTube reviews. This is the way to go when you want to extract the most out of these.
  • They're significantly louder in USB-C mode compared to BT.

Additionally they‘re significantly louder in BT-Mode when the source is a DAP (Hiby R6 2020 here) compared to the iPhone (13Pro)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #506 of 1,745
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #507 of 1,745
However, before I do that, I really need to say in no uncertain terms that the USB DAC feature of the Bathys is a game changer. As far as I know no other wireless headphone offers this feature
There a number of older Bluetooth headphones that connect as USB DACs, three of which I have owned: B&O H9i, the Bowers & Wilkins PX, and the Sennheiser PXC-550. I suspect there are others as well.

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #508 of 1,745
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #510 of 1,745
Been to the dealer and listened to Bathys and Utopia 2022 again today.

Again, I won't say bathys is the worst focal headphones I have ever listened, but my ears confirmed it is in the in the very back positions of all focal headphones I have listened. I will rank all focal headphones I have listened below.

(Utopia 2022 >= Utopia 2020>>Stellia) > ( Clear MG >= Clear >= Celestee > Elegia)>> (Spirit Classic > = Spirit Pro > Bathys) > Listen > Spirit One
(Reference) > (hi end) > ( low end) The more ">", the better the sound, ">=" means minimal difference. Sound very close.

Yes. To my ears, I even love spirit pro and classic more than Bathys. I loved spirit pro and classic so much and kept for 2 years until replaced both for clear. I will say definitely the Bathys' driver will perform way better than spirit pro and classic, but technology circuits and battery just killed more acoustic design spaces to make Bathys sound even better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back