Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #1,681 of 1,708
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,684 of 1,708
I got my Dekoni sheepskin pads from Bloom Audio this week. Now I have to find the time to listen and compare the Focal and Dekoni pads...

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,685 of 1,708
I think the Dekoni sheepskin pads are worth buying; they're an improvement over the stock pads in sound and comfort.

I've been comparing them to the stock pads for the past hour or so using familiar high-resolution classic rock files I've uploaded to Vox, via my iPhone 15 Pro and the Bathy's USB DAC. If I had to pick a short description to characterize the result of using the Dekoni pads, I'd say the sound seems cleaner and smoother overall, especially in the midrange (which has a bit more presence and clarity). The bass is also smoother; I think the Focal pads over-emphasized the bass and the upper bass and the lower midrange was a bit muddy. I don't hear any deep bass loss with familiar music having significant bass content, and the bass seems faster, cleaner, and harder-hitting. I don't hear any difference in the highs, but I do have age-related hearing loss and have compensated using Mimi at 30% (I did redo the Mimi equalization after listening to the Dekoni pads for a while, but the resulting graph looks the same as when I had the stock pads installed). The Bathys sounds closer to my Focal Clear than before (of course the Clear is open and the Bathys is closed).

And the leather pads are definitely cooler to wear than the artificial material of the Focal pads. There's no heat or sweat build-up at all. They're as thick as the Focal pads, even softer, and the replacement is perfect, simple, and secure. Just be sure that you orient them properly by matching the two cylindrical pins on the plastic mounting panel with the corresponding holes in the earpiece panel, and then gently push down around all of the circumference of the pad until you hear clicks from the rectangular tabs and don't see the edge of pad's plastic mounting panel. The clamping force seems to be slightly less than with the Focal pads, and more comfortable, so maybe the foam inside compresses more easily. I like them so much I think I'll get a spare set. Plus they smell nice!

Just to put in a plug for Vox: I can listen to all my uploaded music from their server, streamed via my iPhone to the Bathys at high resolution via the wired connection. Plus Vox has an outstanding built-in equalizer and several cross-feed options. For regular wired headphones and IEMs from my iPhone, I use my Questyle M15i as the DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,686 of 1,708
I think the Dekoni sheepskin pads are worth buying; they're an improvement over the stock pads in sound and comfort.

I've been comparing them to the stock pads for the past hour or so using familiar high-resolution classic rock files I've uploaded to Vox, via my iPhone 15 Pro and the Bathy's USB DAC. If I had to pick a short description to characterize the result of using the Dekoni pads, I'd say the sound seems cleaner and smoother overall, especially in the midrange (which has a bit more presence and clarity). The bass is also smoother; I think the Focal pads over-emphasized the bass and the upper bass and the lower midrange was a bit muddy. I don't hear any deep bass loss with familiar music having significant bass content, and the bass seems faster, cleaner, and harder-hitting. I don't hear any difference in the highs, but I do have age-related hearing loss and have compensated using Mimi at 30% (I did redo the Mimi equalization after listening to the Dekoni pads for a while, but the resulting graph looks the same as when I had the stock pads installed). The Bathys sounds closer to my Focal Clear than before (of course the Clear is open and the Bathys is closed).

And the leather pads are definitely cooler to wear than the artificial material of the Focal pads. There's no heat or sweat build-up at all. They're as thick as the Focal pads, even softer, and the replacement is perfect, simple, and secure (just be sure that you orient them properly by matching the two cylindrical pins on the plastic mounting panel with the corresponding holes in the earpiece panel, and then gently push down around all of the circumference of the pad until you hear clicks from the rectangular tabs and don't see the edge of pad's plastic mounting panel. The clamping force seems to be slightly less than with the Focal pads, and more comfortable, so maybe the foam inside compresses more easily. I like them so much I think I'll get a spare set. Plus they smell nice!

Just to put in a plug for Vox: I can listen to all my uploaded music from their server, streamed via my iPhone to the Bathys at high resolution via the wired connection. Plus Vox has an outstanding built-in equalizer and several cross-feed options. For regular wired headphones and IEMs from my iPhone, I use my Questyle M15i as the DAC/amp.
Thank you for that, that will be my next purchase 🤠

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,687 of 1,708
Does anyone know how can you get a correction graph out of Mimi? Great effect with the variable slider to dial out the Harmon shout for old ears or ears that are just more sensitive to upper mids, but I've been quite curious about what it is actually changing.

I tried the Mimi standalone app and also went to the website on my PC, but wasn't seeing anything.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,688 of 1,708
The app itself shows a graph, but without details of the frequency and amplitude, which would be nice to have. Obviously, having that would be great, but my guess is that they don't want users to be able to apply the corrections outside of the Mimi app.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #1,689 of 1,708

And the leather pads are definitely cooler to wear than the artificial material of the Focal pads. There's no heat or sweat build-up at all. They're as thick as the Focal pads, even softer, and the replacement is perfect, simple, and secure. Just be sure that you orient them properly by matching the two cylindrical pins on the plastic mounting panel with the corresponding holes in the earpiece panel, and then gently push down around all of the circumference of the pad until you hear clicks from the rectangular tabs and don't see the edge of pad's plastic mounting panel. The clamping force seems to be slightly less than with the Focal pads, and more comfortable, so maybe the foam inside compresses more easily. I like them so much I think I'll get a spare set. Plus they smell nice!

+1 thanks for this. The response chart shows a sub/bass drop of a couple of db, but seems to be worth a purchase for the improvement in real-world listening experience.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #1,690 of 1,708
I don't have music with 20 Hz musical content. So unless one listens to organ music on headphones, I don't see any great loss. In fact, as I noted I think the overall bass quality is better with the slight drop the chart shows. And of course perceived bass response in headphones is quite different than with loudspeakers...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #1,691 of 1,708
I don't have music with 20 Hz musical content. So unless one listens to organ music on headphones, I don't see any great loss. In fact, as I noted I think the overall bass quality is better with the slight drop the chart shows. And of course perceived bass response in headphones is quite different than with loudspeakers...
It looks like there is a bit of a dip around 1KHz with the Dekoni pads. I’ve seen that sort of dip on headphones that to me sound a bit “hollow” for lack of a better word… Did that dip bother you or was it noticeable?

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #1,692 of 1,708
I didn't notice any resulting hollow sound from that dip with the new pads. But the Focal pads have a similar dip in relation to the neighboring frequencies, and I didn't hear any hollow sound before.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,693 of 1,708
Toneboosters just released an update to their Morphit plugin with a correction curve for the Bathys.

1712090228495.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #1,694 of 1,708
This is a question for you guys that have a better technical understanding for this type of stuff than me.
Have you tried Wavelet equaliser for Bathys model on Android. And what do you think of it?
I just can't stop playing around with eq settings on Focal app, something lacking for me

1000019443.png

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,695 of 1,708
This is a question for you guys that have a better technical understanding for this type of stuff than me.
Have you tried Wavelet equaliser for Bathys model on Android. And what do you think of it?
I just can't stop playing around with eq settings on Focal app, something lacking for me

1000019443.png
I haven’t, but I’ll see if I can tonight.

Have you tried to first use the Mimi option and then EQ to taste after that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back