Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #1,651 of 1,708
everyone,
So I recently purchased the Bathys used and I love them connected to my iPad Air via Bluetooth but wanted to try out the built in DAC. I used the charging cable that was provided to me( in fact it was the only cable given to me) connected iPad air via usb c to Bathy usb c input, switched to center position of DAC and my iPad did not recognize the Bathys, just played out of iPad speakers, am I doing something wrong? Or using wrong cable? I am kinda confused on this. Thanks for any help. I do not think the seller provided me with original cables, so maybe my usb c to usb c cable does not support audio? If that is the case, can any recommend a replacement usb c to usb c cable.
thanks, James

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #1,652 of 1,708
So I recently purchased the Bathys used and I love them connected to my iPad Air via Bluetooth but wanted to try out the built in DAC. I used the charging cable that was provided to me( in fact it was the only cable given to me) connected iPad air via usb c to Bathy usb c input, switched to center position of DAC and my iPad did not recognize the Bathys, just played out of iPad speakers, am I doing something wrong? Or using wrong cable? I am kinda confused on this. Thanks for any help. I do not think the seller provided me with original cables, so maybe my usb c to usb c cable does not support audio? If that is the case, can any recommend a replacement usb c to usb c cable.
thanks,
Have Bathys unplugged, place it in DAC mode, then plug it into the PC. If that doesn't work, then you may want to look for a USB C data cable on Amazon or somewhere

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #1,653 of 1,708
Devodonaldson, So I would like to use it plugged into my iPad Air pro which has a usb c plug on it, I tried putting it into DAC mode and used the usb c to usb c cable that I have, is it the fact that I may just have a charging cable Instead of a data cable? Is there a difference? i will do a search for usb c data cable and go from there, thank you for the advice. Also, maybe you know, in the focal FAQ section it states you can go analog via the Jack cable, does that sound better than the usb c cable would, I do have a usb+c to 3.5 female adapter for my iPad Air pro. . Thanks again.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #1,654 of 1,708
So I tried connecting the Bathys to a laptop I have with a usb connection and i have my Bathys in DAC mode and I plugged it into my laptop, I got an error message that says device not recognized, should I just consider that my issue is I am not using a data usb c cable? And this is what I need to buy from Amazon?

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,655 of 1,708
Devodonaldson, So I would like to use it plugged into my iPad Air pro which has a usb c plug on it, I tried putting it into DAC mode and used the usb c to usb c cable that I have, is it the fact that I may just have a charging cable Instead of a data cable? Is there a difference? i will do a search for usb c data cable and go from there, thank you for the advice. Also, maybe you know, in the focal FAQ section it states you can go analog via the Jack cable, does that sound better than the usb c cable would, I do have a usb+c to 3.5 female adapter for my iPad Air pro. . Thanks again.
So the analog mode is more of a double amping solution. You get analog output from your device, but it goes into the Bathys and gets formatted back to a digital signal and processes by the internal DAC of the Bathys. It's a solution that works if you aren't able to go straight digital cable. I've used it a couple times, but almost a waste. 🤷

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #1,656 of 1,708
For a USB-C able, try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GGVB89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Anker cable is incredibly flexible, totally non-microphonic, and the 3' length can be coiled up to fit in the Bathys case. If you need 6' then that works fine, too. They're sold as charging cables capable of 100W but will transmit signal at 480 Mbps, the standard USB data rate that is just like what Focal supplies. Some folks like "audiophile USB-C cables," but they're much more money and any difference is a topic of intense debate.

Under macOS Sonoma and iOS you'll get a prompt asking for your permission to attach the device for the first time, so watch for that. Connect the cable and phone, and then turn on the DAC setting.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,658 of 1,708
Cables with nylon sheaths often make a sound when rubbing against clothing. That's not electronic, but a physically-generated sound, like a rubbing or scratching, and the vibration travels up the cord and can be heard in earpieces. The silicone sheathing on cables like that Anker don't do that, and they are very, very flexible, too.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,659 of 1,708
For a USB-C able, try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GGVB89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Anker cable is incredibly flexible, totally non-microphonic, and the 3' length can be coiled up to fit in the Bathys case. If you need 6' then that works fine, too. They're sold as charging cables capable of 100W but will transmit signal at 480 Mbps, the standard USB data rate that is just like what Focal supplies. Some folks like "audiophile USB-C cables," but they're much more money and any difference is a topic of intense debate.

Under macOS Sonoma and iOS you'll get a prompt asking for your permission to attach the device for the first time, so watch for that. Connect the cable and phone, and then turn on the DAC setting.
Hi! Any audio difference using that anker cable from the original? Is it worth buying having the original? Thanks!

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,660 of 1,708
I did not hear any difference with any of the USB-C cables I tried, going all the way up to Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4.0 cables that permit higher data transmission rates. The Anker cable has a silicone jacket that is just softer, more flexible, and coils up smaller. I had them on hand because they're my "standard" USB-C charging cables for chargers up to 100W and also comply with USB 2.0 data transmission specs (480 Mbit/s, just like the supplied Focal cable). The shorter cable fits in the Bathys case nicely, and the longer one I have in a small fleece bag when I need additional length. They're just nicer cables to use because of their physical characteristics. And they're very inexpensive.

There's another post in the thread with reports on two "audiophile" USB-C cables, but I've never tried them and I just cannot justify the purchase price. Plus they're not easy cables to carry around, and are quite expensive. The claims for better sound from USB cables all seem to come from the grade of the copper or silver conductors used, and from separating the power cable from the signal cable.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #1,661 of 1,708
Can anyone tell me, please ( if possible ) how to set as default, the AAC codec on Android ?
Everytime I start the Focal Bathys, aptX is default.
I have to go into the Developer Options and set it back to AAC.
By the way, which one do you prefer?
Thank you in advance

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,662 of 1,708
Can anyone tell me, please ( if possible ) how to set as default, the AAC codec on Android ?
Everytime I start the Focal Bathys, aptX is default.
I have to go into the Developer Options and set it back to AAC.
By the way, which one do you prefer?
Thank you in advance
hmmm… for Android I have always thought that aptX was preferable. AAC is best implemented on Apple.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #1,665 of 1,708
I just bought today at CanJam the suade pads brand new from Dekoni. I quite like the improved comfort and the sound signature. Y demoed them there with some Bathys they had but now in the hotel I am using mines and quite good. They also had some new sheepskin, I was not able to demoed does but looked good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back