Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,561 of 1,708
Finally arrived. Just updated firmware and haven’t tested. Gotta test out the different eqs and the usb dac
IMG_3452.jpeg

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,562 of 1,708
The Creative BT-W5 works great with my MacBook Pro M1, giving me the ability to connect using aptX Adaptive, and will deal with up to 24/96 files from Audirvana. This is a VERY tiny USB-C dongle connecting with Bluetooth 5.3. I did have to try a half-dozen times to get the Bathys to connect to the BT-W5, but it works now, even from a powered industrial USB 3.1 hub attached to the underside of my desktop that is fed from an OWC Thunderbolt4 dock. The sound is excellent for Bluetooth.
Could you please tell me which hub are you using or give me the link?? Thanx!

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,563 of 1,708
The 3.1 hub: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-usb3-hub7c.html There's a similar but newer 3.2 hub from another dealer, but it's not available right now: https://www.usbgear.com/cg-7p4c3a.html

I have two units of the first, one at home and one at work, connected to the OWC Thunderbolt (4) dock via a T4 cable. I connect various USB 2.0 peripherals to that hub at home and work (mounted to the underside of my desktop at home) such as a redundant USB 2.0 backup flash drive, desktop USB 2.0 speakers, a Logitech wireless mouse dongle, an Apogee microphone, and the BT-W5. I use a different hub when I need to temporarily connect other stuff to my MacBook.

My OWC dock's T4 ports are all full (external monitor, webcam, Time Machine drive, and the powered hub), and my MacBook Pro has only one unused T4 port out of three, because I found a right-angle true T4 cable to use at one port to connect to the OWC dock, and the other has a Yubico Nano for dual-factor authentication to the University's network.

In 2021 I had one of the office hub's ports fail, and the company replaced it immediately.

There's a cheaper transmitter for aptX Adaptive, 24 bit, available on AliExpress for a lot less than the Creative, which I spotted on another subforum thread (there are several places on AliExpress selling what looks like the same unit, under different names/labels (as is typical). I've ordered one to try at work. That one is $16 vs. $50, and there's a long delivery time.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #1,564 of 1,708
Hey Everyone,
Been using my V-MODA Crossfade 2's for the last 3ish years and been thinking about replacing them. I Like what I hear about the Bathy's, but I'm a bit torn between those and the PX8's and the DALI IO-12. I know this probably isn't the best place for unbiased responses, but I haven't been able to find much knowledgeable advice to help me finally pull the trigger.

I don't really have any experience/knowledge with the BT headphone market, so If anyone could share their experience with those headphones, or could even just compare one them with the MODA's so I know what difference an extra $300-$500 makes with wireless phones, I'd really appreciate it.

Just for some context/over-dramatics for entertainment sake, I bought the MODA's before becoming a filthy over-priced IEM enjoyer, (VE EXT, EE LE, Odin etc) which has sucked away the enjoyment I initially had using them. The bass is bloated to hell and the upper-mids/treble are simultaneously sharp and un-resolving. I like a warmer tuning when it comes to wireless over-ears, but have grown to dislike bass centric signatures which is why I'm weary of many of the popular choices. (and even the B&W P8) I only have experience with the MODA's though, so my frame of reference is a bit limited.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,565 of 1,708
It's impossible to give recommendations based on other's listening experience. The wireless offerings are vastly different and you need to audition them for yourself because your ears are unique as is your music selections. In general if a HP costs more, it has a more refined sound. The signature however will be very different from brand to brand. For my taste Focal while excellent in many instances has a house sound that is dense so I prefer other makers like ZMF and Hifman. You can get used items here and audition them usually at a greatly reduced price and then sell them for a little less if they don't work out. But in general spending more means higher quality on some level. For some the Sennheiser Momentum at a few hundred dollars meet their needs perfectly while some are willing to spend $1600 on a T+A Solitaire and believe it is good value.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,566 of 1,708
The Creative BT-W5 works great with my MacBook Pro M1, giving me the ability to connect using aptX Adaptive, and will deal with up to 24/96 files from Audirvana. This is a VERY tiny USB-C dongle connecting with Bluetooth 5.3. I did have to try a half-dozen times to get the Bathys to connect to the BT-W5, but it works now, even from a powered industrial USB 3.1 hub attached to the underside of my desktop that is fed from an OWC Thunderbolt4 dock. The sound is excellent for Bluetooth.
I forgot to mention a couple of things. Make sure you do not have the MacBook and Bathys set to connect via Bluetooth; pair the Bathys only with the BT-W5. The Mac's sound output should be selected to go to the BT-W5 (either in the Sound applet in System Settings and/or in your music player - Audirvana has a menu to select among connected DACs). Finally, I found it may take about five or few more seconds for the audio to be heard (I think that's Audirvana shutting down other processes, because I don't experience that lag with Apple Music as the player).

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,567 of 1,708
Hey Everyone,
Been using my V-MODA Crossfade 2's for the last 3ish years and been thinking about replacing them. I Like what I hear about the Bathy's, but I'm a bit torn between those and the PX8's and the DALI IO-12. I know this probably isn't the best place for unbiased responses, but I haven't been able to find much knowledgeable advice to help me finally pull the trigger.

I don't really have any experience/knowledge with the BT headphone market, so If anyone could share their experience with those headphones, or could even just compare one them with the MODA's so I know what difference an extra $300-$500 makes with wireless phones, I'd really appreciate it.

Just for some context/over-dramatics for entertainment sake, I bought the MODA's before becoming a filthy over-priced IEM enjoyer, (VE EXT, EE LE, Odin etc) which has sucked away the enjoyment I initially had using them. The bass is bloated to hell and the upper-mids/treble are simultaneously sharp and un-resolving. I like a warmer tuning when it comes to wireless over-ears, but have grown to dislike bass centric signatures which is why I'm weary of many of the popular choices. (and even the B&W P8) I only have experience with the MODA's though, so my frame of reference is a bit limited.

Thanks for any help.
All your interests are very good and capable headsets.
Best advise is to see if you can listen to bathys or other choices in your nearest hifi shop. Bathys are GREAT but not perfect, and none of them are because they have all their own signature sound. Bathys have gotten mimi sound personalization that helps quite a bit for aging ears 😂. My next wishlist are these I think

Denon AH-D9200​

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,568 of 1,708
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for any help.
You can also read here, what BenKatz wrote about PX8 vs Bathys recently.
(there are actually people out there who prefer PX8. I have to roll me eyes every time i hear someone prefers PX8 over Bathys :xf_rolleyes:)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...r-ear-headphone.965131/page-108#post-17871930

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,569 of 1,708
Why? PX8 has really attractive analog, meaty, visceral tuning. Electric guitars are really something different on PX8. I was really on edge about these two. I chose Bathys because B&W lacked a bit in the subbass and scene departments, but it was really close.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,570 of 1,708
Hey ! Thanks for sharing my thoughts from another Bathys-related thread!

Zdzichron - I don't doubt that if you go out there and just purchase the PX8 you won't be disappointed AT ALL. But my 2 cents are my 2 cents. For me, there was a very clear difference across the board when comparing them. Bathys is simply at another level.

I just found out about the DALI IO-12 now, someone posted about it earlier. Wow, they look good. Too bad I never got the chance to try them out.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,573 of 1,708
is anyone else having an issue with the Bathys used in exclusive mode in Tidal (Windows app) via USB, where randomly, after around 5-15minutes of playback, the Bathys disconnect and then reconnect? Most of the times I have to relaunch Tidal to get it to play through the headphones again? This issue never occurs while listening to them connected to USB via general content (chrome videos, etc) - just the Tidal app.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,574 of 1,708

Users who are viewing this thread

Back