Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 17, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,501 of 1,729
I have been using my Anker Powerline III USB-C to USB-C cable with my new Bathys for charging and use in DAC mode. They are incredibly flexible (silicone jacket), much moreso than the Focal cable, and meet USB 2.0 spec data transfer and fast charging (anything with more bandwidth than 2.0 is overkill because the headphones are a USB 2.0 device). They're Inexpensive, too, especially when compared to "audiophile" USB-C cables. They come in 3 foot and 6 foot lengths and various colors, but the black looks good with the Bathys. I cannot hear any difference between these and the Focal cable or higher-spec and less flexible USB-C cables that go beyond USB 2.0 up to Thunderbolt 4.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,502 of 1,729
When I use Audirvana and my MacBook as the source, via USB-C to the Bathys DAC, Apple's "Audio Midi Setup" defaults to 44/16 or 48/16. There are drop-down options for higher resolutions, up to 192/24. I saw one post about this, saying it would be right to change the settings in Audio Midi Setup - is that correct? Audirvana seems to set the output resolution based upon the source file if it fits the DAC's capabilities, independently of the Apple applet.

And I am also seeing the problem when the source resolution changes - there's no sound at all until the Bathys is shut down and restarted.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,503 of 1,729
Hey all, brand new owner of a set of Dune Focal Bathys as of yesterday and I wanted to ask a couple quick questions. First off, the headphones are wonderful. I have a pair of Focal Clear OG's which were my first foray into high-end headphones and I loved them for years before moving to Arya's. I love the soundstage of my Arya's but have missed a little of the Focal punch and these are a perfect middle-ground for me, especially as I also needed a decent set of bluetooth cans for work.

I tried searching in this thread and going back as far as I could, but have not been able to locate an answer to this, but wanted to see if an issue I'm having is common, a hardware/firmware quirk or if it's full-on defective and I need to look at an exchange...

When in DAC mode, I noticed that I lose audio quite frequently on my iPhone/iPad if moving between music apps. For instance, if I go from Apple Music to Roon, I suddenly am unable to get any audio unless I turn off the headphones and turn them back on. It happens rather frequently and am just wondering if that is a common occurrence or not. I'm guessing it's an audio handoff issue in iOS but just want to make sure it's not a hardware issue with the DAC. It has happened in Bluetooth before as well, however.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,504 of 1,729
Apparently different resolutions in a selection or playlist cause it to stop.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,505 of 1,729
Apparently different resolutions in a selection or playlist cause it to stop.
Ok, that was my suspicion. I appreciate it. Is the commonly accepted fix just to turn it off and back on again like I've been doing?

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #1,506 of 1,729
Yes, that's what I've been doing. Hopefully a firmware update can fix this.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #1,507 of 1,729
This has given me the best result so far.
Mimi 30% and eq +2db only on the first one.
Disabling absolute volume in android no longer gives me big DB gaps.
Very satisfied 🤩
1000016873.png

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,508 of 1,729
So I'm week 4 into the Bathys and loving them. I noticed more at the weekend as I was travelling and had my Sony XM5s, and kept on thinking the sound was just lacking in comparison.

I've been playing around with the EQ settings, trying a lot of suggestions on here. I liked nomax's, but found the lower end just a bit too lacking.

Anybody rocking dynamic or the stock settings? I had neglected trying the 'dynamic' preset until tonight, and I'm really enjoying it. Might be the one for me. But has anybody noticed that the volume dips considerably when on this setting? Haven't tested as I'm on DAC, but im assuming this is because the profile is all in the negative EQ settings?

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,510 of 1,729
Hi everyone, I’m looking to enhance my listening experience both at home when I need isolation and while traveling. I currently own the Meze 99 Classics, but I’m considering an upgrade to something with superior sound quality and ANC for airplane travel and commute. Before I head to the store to test out some options, I have a few questions about these headphones:

- I’ve heard that the ANC on the Bathys is not up to par. Can anyone confirm this?

- Is the sound quality of these headphones commensurate with their price, or are we primarily paying for the technology and brand?

- As an iPhone user, I anticipate using the headphones primarily in DAC mode (I don’t mind using cables). Are there any other closed headphones (maybe without BT) in a similar price range that I should consider if sound quality is my top priority? I use at home the Meze 109pro and i want something more or less similar in sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,511 of 1,729
Hi,

- ANC is not Sony/Bose maybe, but definitely usable and helps a lot in my tram commute. It won't drown those irregular noises like people chatter tho
- sound wise it's best what BT can offer theses days with the exception of 2/3 model twice their price or more. You're definitely not paying for the name. Focal has put some serious effort in these.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,512 of 1,729
Hi everyone, I’m looking to enhance my listening experience both at home when I need isolation and while traveling. I currently own the Meze 99 Classics, but I’m considering an upgrade to something with superior sound quality and ANC for airplane travel and commute. Before I head to the store to test out some options, I have a few questions about these headphones:

- I’ve heard that the ANC on the Bathys is not up to par. Can anyone confirm this?

- Is the sound quality of these headphones commensurate with their price, or are we primarily paying for the technology and brand?

- As an iPhone user, I anticipate using the headphones primarily in DAC mode (I don’t mind using cables). Are there any other closed headphones (maybe without BT) in a similar price range that I should consider if sound quality is my top priority? I use at home the Meze 109pro and i want something more or less similar in sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
I think the ANC is at the point where the jump to Airpods Max isnt a practical upgrade. With low volume music on it sounds like you're in a quiet room.

You won't get bluetooth headphones that stack up to your open back 109s, not even close. That said the Bathys do sound very good. The other models that can be had around this price, the 5909 and PX8, also sound very good but with their own sound signature. If wired is priority than Bathys is the obvious choice imo.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #1,513 of 1,729
Thanks for the quick response, Black Friday is near and I need to make a decision in the next few days.

In terms of sound, do you think they are an improvement over the Meze 99 Classics? I would be quite happy with an audible improvement in terms of layering, resolution and a more natural profile.

As for the ANC issue, I’ve heard from users who have criticized that it can’t be completely disconnected, only in ‘soft’ mode, and it worries me a bit. Is it really not a problem?

I’ve always felt a certain artificiality in Sony’s ANC modes or even in Apple’s models. Is that not the case here?

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,514 of 1,729
It's definitely an upgrade over the 99s. As for ANC, I thought that will be an issue for me, as I feel a rather big discomfort while using Sony's for example, but the "soft" mode is gentle enough that I stopped noticing it's on after a while. There's still a bit of pressure there though.

It's hard to compare if ANC affects sound as it cannot be, well... turned off :wink: I don't hear any ANC weirdness.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,515 of 1,729
You are never going to get everything with a Bluetooth ANC headphone so you have to decide what's most important. ANC - Phone Calls - Music. None of them are perfect and ANC degrades sound no matter how you slice it. With a little EQ Sony's are great and much less than the Bathys. They have much better noise cancellation and look less Geeky if your wearing them out and about. They are also less heavy. It will also greatly depend on the kind of music you listen to. Many shops have 30 day returns so just go with your gut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back