Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,187 of 1,739
I wore AirPods Pro 2 on my latest flight and found them hurting my ears after 90minutes listening hence my idea of using the Bathys for that purpose if I buy them
Yup, everyone’s ears and heads are different. Some people love IEMs, but others hate to have things in their ears!

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,189 of 1,739
The Bathys, on long flights are they comfortable to wear, will the ears get too sweaty and will the headband hurt or are they comfy no matter what?
It's a bit hard to say how they would do with you. I find the Bathys comfortable overall, even for long periods. My issue is after several hours, I can feel the skinner headband. But a headband cover makes it more comfortable. As for sweat, I don't recall how much I sweat I had or not. I tend to sweat pretty easily. Since I do not recall, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The ANC will sufficient enough that I did not hear much. I have done several flights with them ranging from 1.5 to 4 hours.

I found them more comfortable than TWS because they don't allow my ears to release the pressure from the cabinet pressure changes.

I also found they were still comfortable with NReal/Xreal glasses, which are great. They're a AR glasses that can be used with several smartphones that video output. With Samsung's DEX, they're an external monitor. It allows me to be in my own world during that time, which I tend to sleep most of the time.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #1,190 of 1,739
It's a bit hard to say how they would do with you. I find the Bathys comfortable overall, even for long periods. My issue is after several hours, I can feel the skinner headband. But a headband cover makes it more comfortable. As for sweat, I don't recall how much I sweat I had or not. I tend to sweat pretty easily. Since I do not recall, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The ANC will sufficient enough that I did not hear much. I have done several flights with them ranging from 1.5 to 4 hours.

I found them more comfortable than TWS because they don't allow my ears to release the pressure from the cabinet pressure changes.

I also found they were still comfortable with NReal/Xreal glasses, which are great. They're a AR glasses that can be used with several smartphones that video output. With Samsung's DEX, they're an external monitor. It allows me to be in my own world during that time, which I tend to sleep most of the time.
Thanks for the feedback.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,195 of 1,739
If you can share your opinion I'd be grateful. Been think of upgrading to these from the Beoplay H9 3rd gen but I value sound and ANC alike as I travel frequently.
I've had a PX7 S2 but anc was awful and simply turning the head left or right would break the seal and plane engine sound would go in so I ended up returning them.
Now I'd like to try the Bathys, hoping for a better experience :relieved:
Ok, so I flew today for 1 hour and 40 minutes and I'm flying back home tomorrow evening. So Bathys are not the best in the business for ANC. But they do an okay job no doubt.
I used them continuously for over three hours. When we were ready to board the plane and everyone stood in line, that's when I concluded that they do an ok job but you can still hear people speak, thats when I took of the headphones and realised how loud it was in comparisment without them. So they do an ok job for sure.
On a plane I didn't sweat for a second and didn't feel any moisture between my ears and headphone cups, but people are different in that case. The seal never broke even after moving a bit. You could hear some engine noise, but not that bad honestly.
I watched netflix through the whole flight (The Lincoln Lawyer) I was more relaxed than usual I would say. Some amount of noise was blocked but not all.
Personally I'm very satisfied with them. I will always choose sound over ANC

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,196 of 1,739
Ok, so I flew today for 1 hour and 40 minutes and I'm flying back home tomorrow evening. So Bathys are not the best in the business for ANC. But they do an okay job no doubt.
I used them continuesly for over three hours. When we were ready to board the plane and everyone stood in line, that's when I concluded that they do an ok job but you can still hear people speak, thats when I took of the headphones and realised how loud it was in comparisment without them. So they do an ok job for sure, you can hear people but you won't understand a word of what they are saying.
On a plane I didn't sweat for a second and didn't feel any moisture between my ears and headphone cups, but people are different in that case. The seal never broke even after moving a bit. You could hear some engine noise, but not that bad honestly.
I watched netflix through the whole flight (The Lincoln Lawyer) I was more relaxed than usual I would say. Decent amount of noise was blocked but not all.
Personally I'm very satisfied with them. I will always choose sound before ANC
Sony and Momentum are much better at ANC. I also find the momentums more comfortable but thats personal prefs.

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #1,197 of 1,739
... So Bathys are not the best in the business for ANC. But they do an okay job no doubt. ... Personally I'm very satisfied with them. I will always choose sound over ANC
This is what all professional/critical reviews said from the get go about their ANC. They're more about the Focal sound, portability compared to their other headphones, and happen to have some ANC. It works, but it no one ever claimed, even Focal, they blocked everything out. The ANC does not change the sound of the headphones like many others do, including almost all with better ANC.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #1,199 of 1,739
Sony and Momentum are much better at ANC. I also find the momentums more comfortable but thats personal prefs.
I've got to say though i think the Bathys/PX8 level ANC is all most people need. It gets you 80% of the way there, as soon as music is on I really can't tell the difference between APM and Bathys ANC. I have to actively turn music off and compare them.

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #1,200 of 1,739
This is what all professional/critical reviews said from the get go about their ANC. They're more about the Focal sound, portability compared to their other headphones, and happen to have some ANC. It works, but it no one ever claimed, even Focal, they blocked everything out. The ANC does not change the sound of the headphones like many others do, including almost all with better ANC.
I disagree. The ANC picks up footfalls when walking or bumps and thumps when traveling on road or rail. Audible warbling/thumping. This is more annoying to me than ANC adding some bass, etc. That's why I returned mine. If ANC could be defeated, that would be different, but it can't be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back