Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #946 of 1,769
I was planning on picking up a second DAC/Amp combo for when I’m lounging on the couch, but the USB-C DAC mode on the Bathys is more than enough for me when I’m on my iPad Pro just surfing and listening to music.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #947 of 1,769
Hello,

I'd like to buy a Bathys, but before I do, I have 2 questions about the reliability :

- I heard that the headband is a weak point on focal headphones.Is it the case with the Bathys?
- I also heard that some users reported very strong high pitched sound in some case.Is it a common issue?
Neither of these has been an issue with mine.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #948 of 1,769
Fantastic, thanks @Toomuch. I am hoping the KB8P is less quirky than the Eppsum dongle. Although the latter actually does work well to transmit AptX Adaptive from my Windows 11 PC to Bathys, it doesn't coexist well with other devices. When I establish the wireless connection from the PC dongle to Bathys, my phone which was also paired to Bathys terminates connection, meaning I can't receive or make a call. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a multipoint wireless headphone. Do you know if the KB8P better handles simultaneous connections (EG - allows both PC and phone simultaneously connected to Bathys and music from dongle interrupted when a call comes in)?
I've had no problem having the KB8P connect to my headphones while connected to my phone or any other device. I will, however, say that it felt like I would get millisecond drops -- very brief sound cutoff or clicking noise at times -- when I had them connected to two devices using aptX-Adaptive High quality.

Keep in mind that could also be due to Amazon Music being very buggy on Android (music service I use).

I feel that they need all the bandwidth they can get to fully utilize the higher end codec so I would disconnect any other devices when using aptX-Adaptive high quality (I also use aptX regular from my phone at times).

Another thing to point out is the range wasn't all that good as well, so going out of the room proved to be problematic for me.

The quirks of bluetooth I guess 😒

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #949 of 1,769
Do you know what improvements it provides?
According to the release notes:
- Volume controls could stop functioning with specific devices
- Audio codec could occasionally be reported incorrectly

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #953 of 1,769
Focal, thanks for the firmware update, works well. One thing I would LOVE for Focal to address in next update is the non-linear volume steps. It is very difficult to achieve a gradual volume increase as when you press the volume button a few times there is minimal change in loudness, but then one more press makes a BIG difference in loudness. Please correct this!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #956 of 1,769
The first one...for the classic and Jazz Lovers

-3 db/62 Hz
-2db/250 Hz
+1db/1kHz
+2db/4kHz
+2.5db/16 kHz

For modern genres

-2db/62Hz
-1db/250 Hz
+1db/1KHz
+2db/4Khz
+2db/16khz

NOMAX

PS.and the last....my personal favourite 👍

-2.5db/62Hz
-2db/250 Hz
+1.5db/1kHz
+2db/4kHz
+2.5db/16kHz

lol
good job man,i like on my bathys your set for Modern genres. it is very similar sound to my stellia.great headphones.
I listen to Tidal in DAC mode every day.
im listen tidal via usb-c from laptop on bathys. all works. software unfolding all

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #958 of 1,769
What does the new Naim / Focal Android App. firmware that came out today add?

Apr 10, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #959 of 1,769
good job man,i like on my bathys your set for Modern genres. it is very similar sound to my stellia.great headphones.

im listen tidal via usb-c from laptop on bathys. all works. software unfolding all

👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #960 of 1,769
Update - Rasping/wind sound is still happening. IF I make any sudden movements, the left cup will make that microphone noise for about 10 seconds before settling in. Turning it on for the first time this morning had that sound going for a few minutes off and on. This is otherwise my end game BT headphone set...sound is phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back