Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #916 of 1,769
Yes that would do the trick! At this point it would more be what kind of adapter you want (straight, U type adapter or even L type adapter) I would go for the one that fits your needs best. I personally use the adapter that came with my phone and it works flawlessly with my BT dongle.

Make sure your BT adapter goes up to 24-96KHZ (I've heard that the Sennheiser BTD600 is capped at 48khz). I recommend the KB8P that can be ordered directly from Ali Express and can also come bundled with its own USB-A to USB-C adapter! :)
Would you mind explaining the difference between the bitrate and kHz.

I was thinking of getting a new phone that supports aptx adaptive but am now concerned it may have the same limitation as the BTD600 i.e. 48hz although I don't know what the consequence would be in terms of sound.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #919 of 1,769
The cable with dac mode is superb with my iOS devices. 192 with quobuz. It’s actually frightening good. My guess is that these kind of products will only be better and better. Maybe eliminating the full desktop setup for many. The bathys outperform many full size headphones already, and that with anc enabled.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #920 of 1,769
Would you mind explaining the difference between the bitrate and kHz.

I was thinking of getting a new phone that supports aptx adaptive but am now concerned it may have the same limitation as the BTD600 i.e. 48hz although I don't know what the consequence would be in terms of sound.

Honestly it'll be very hard to hear an audible difference if any IMO. Just thought he should know since he's going out of his way to purchase a dongle specifically for that reason.

Your phone should have no problem transmitting in the highest quality possible if it has aptX-Adaptive natively.

https://www.aptx.com/music

Here's link about aptX-HD & Adaptive if you are interested in seeing the marketing material.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #921 of 1,769
Honestly it'll be very hard to hear an audible difference if any IMO. Just thought he should know since he's going out of his way to purchase a dongle specifically for that reason.

Your phone should have no problems transmitting in the highest quality possible if it has aptX-Adaptive natively.

https://www.aptx.com/music

Here's link about aptX-HD & Adaptive if you are interested in seeing the marketing material.
So should I expect a similar audio quality with aptx adaptive as I get with DAC mode. If not I'll probably stick with the cable as standard aptx is disappointing IMO

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #922 of 1,769
So should I expect a similar audio quality with aptx adaptive as I get with DAC mode. If not I'll probably stick with the cable as standard aptx is disappointing IMO

No, I was talking about the difference between aptX adaptive 48Khz vs 96khz.

DAC mode is clearly the winner here as you are getting lossless music.

All of these said Bluetooth codecs compress the music. They do an excellent job, but it'll never be lossless. That's until aptX-lossless comes out :)

Bluetooth is all about the convenience of being cordless and "trying" to get that same sound quality.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #923 of 1,769
No, I was talking about the difference between aptX adaptive 48Khz vs 96khz.

DAC mode is clearly the winner here as you are getting lossless music.

All of these said Bluetooth codecs compress the music. They do an excellent job, but it'll never be lossless. That's until aptX-lossless comes out :)
Which the Bathys don't support...😒

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #924 of 1,769
Which the Bathys don't support...😒
No lol, I don't think there are very many devices that transmit aptX-Lossless or receive it right now.

We have DAC mode which is the perfect combination in my opinion. DAC mode when you want the best possible sound from the Bathys and Bluetooth when you need the convenience.

I'm personally very happy with my Bathys tbh! :o2smile::hearts:

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #925 of 1,769
No lol, I don't think there are very many devices that transmit aptX-Lossless or receive it right now.

We have DAC mode which is the perfect combination in my opinion. DAC mode when you want the best possible sound from the Bathys and Bluetooth when you need the convenience.

I'm personally very happy with my Bathys tbh! :o2smile::hearts:
Agreed, I love them. I have the PX8 too but find myself using the Bathys way more basically because of the DAC mode (my phone can't drive the PX8 with the cable so it's just too quiet). The feeling in the PX8 thread is that the DAC mode is a pointless gimmick but I have strongly defended it as I think it's brilliant.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #926 of 1,769
Agreed, I love them. I have the PX8 too but find myself using the Bathys way more basically because of the DAC mode (my phone can't drive the PX8 with the cable so it's just too quiet). The feeling in the PX8 thread is that the DAC mode is a pointless gimmick but I have strongly defended it as I think it's brilliant.
I think you were right in doing so. I only use them in DAC mode. Not only the bass has more definition but also the mids are clearer and the highs are shining through …

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #927 of 1,769
Yes that would do the trick! At this point it would more be what kind of adapter you want (straight, U type adapter or even L type adapter) I would go for the one that fits your needs best. I personally use the adapter that came with my phone and it works flawlessly with my BT dongle.

Make sure your BT adapter goes up to 24-96KHZ (I've heard that the Sennheiser BTD600 is capped at 48khz). I recommend the KB8P that can be ordered directly from Ali Express and can also come bundled with its own USB-A to USB-C adapter! :)
I received this Eppfun BT transmitter dongle supporting AptX adaptve today. A little quirky to get up and running but using HQ Player outputting 24 / 96 works well, Focal / Naim app. confirms AptX Adaptec code in use. There are some annoyances like needing to force reconnect at times when music paused by cycling through inputs back to USB, and I have ordered KB8 to see if the user experience is a bit better. That said, range / connection stability is great in addition to sound quality, so for the modest cost I am happy with it!

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #928 of 1,769
BTW in addition to the BT use case in above post I am in ABSOLUTE agreement that the DAC mode is spectacular, so much so that I will be selling my Focal Clear MG.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #929 of 1,769
focal bathys has dhumb in midrange and thats for has more warm sound/ ? for more neutral tone must equalizing +1+3db midrange frequency ? if use hybrid amp then better buy tubes with gain midrange? correct? or something not? or bathys is dark warm sound for highs is below harmans curve? to get brighter sound need gain highs?

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #930 of 1,769
I received this Eppfun BT transmitter dongle supporting AptX adaptve today. A little quirky to get up and running but using HQ Player outputting 24 / 96 works well, Focal / Naim app. confirms AptX Adaptec code in use. There are some annoyances like needing to force reconnect at times when music paused by cycling through inputs back to USB, and I have ordered KB8 to see if the user experience is a bit better. That said, range / connection stability is great in addition to sound quality, so for the modest cost I am happy with it!

Here's a link to download the Windows "KB8P Assistant" necessary to properly setup the dongle along with firmware updates (which you might not need right now). That link should normally get updated with new firmware and software updates if ever there are any, so you should definitely bookmark it! 😉They don't really include a proper link to the software from Ali Express, so this should be helpful.

Once you have it setup to your liking from a PC it'll remember the settings and the last few connected devices. I suggest putting Aptx-Adaptive in high quality mode.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wm0nsvo31p4jq/KB8_KB8P_KB9_KB9P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back