Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Mar 28, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #901 of 1,826
I wondered about your 2nd question too. Easiest way to check is on developer settings on your phone rather than the F/N app.
In developer options of HiBy RS6, if I manually select aptX HD and 24 bit then exit, when I return to developer options it shows things reset to 16 bit and aptX standard Is there no way to save the selections so they don't revert?!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #902 of 1,826
In developer options of HiBy RS6, if I manually select aptX HD and 24 bit then exit, when I return to developer options it shows things reset to 16 bit and aptX standard Is there no way to save the selections so they don't revert?!
In developer settings the Bluetooth settings are not persistent. I have started using Bluetooth Codec Changer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter) because of that ... Great little tool ...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #903 of 1,826
In developer settings the Bluetooth settings are not persistent. I have started using Bluetooth Codec Changer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter) because of that ... Great little tool ...
Thanks @WDitters! it is strange that Bathys defaults to standard AptX at 16 bit as shown in developer options when manual states it will "always" use the best available codec. It sounds like to change codec, not just view what is being used, the app. you reference may do the trick! I really appreciate the pointer and will try it out when I return home from work this evening.

BTW, do you use Bathys via USB C from a PC? The included cable is USB C to C, so I will need to buy a USB A to C that will handle charge and data into the Bathys internal DAC and would love a recommendation? Will any A --> C charge and data sync cable work or is something special required? Thanks for your help!

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #904 of 1,826
Thanks @WDitters! it is strange that Bathys defaults to standard AptX at 16 bit as shown in developer options when manual states it will "always" use the best available codec. It sounds like to change codec, not just view what is being used, the app. you reference may do the trick! I really appreciate the pointer and will try it out when I return home from work this evening.

BTW, do you use Bathys via USB C from a PC? The included cable is USB C to C, so I will need to buy a USB A to C that will handle charge and data into the Bathys internal DAC and would love a recommendation? Will any A --> C charge and data sync cable work or is something special required? Thanks for your help!
I no longer own the Bathys so cannot comment sorry..

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #905 of 1,826
bathys not harman targeted. factory it has perfect bass,but missing mids and highs. last 3 bands need up +3.5-4.5db for get normal sound.

I think factory has too much bass for most music and I'm pretty happy with the midrange where it is. I do have an EQ with them bumped up by one or two DB though. I think if I push the mids as far as your eq then it actually gets a bit unpleasant and siblant.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #906 of 1,826
Did try it with cable today in dac mode. What a great set of headphones. If only the anc were on par with Bose qc45. Would be perfect. But then again, maybe not as good sound.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #907 of 1,826
I no longer own the Bathys so cannot comment sorry..
I appreciate your help, the tip about codec changing app. was HUGE for me!

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #908 of 1,826
Received my Bathys and still exploring sound and settings. 3 questions thus far which I am hoping experienced users can provide insight about:
1. The volume steps seem uneven in BT mode, in that a single short press up or down on the right earcup volume buttons will reflect variably as 2-8 steps of volume change on my RS6 DAP volume indicator, and this is sometimes "laggy" in that the effect of volume changes doesn't occur for several seconds after a change is made. Is that "normal" behavior for Bathys?
2. In the Focal / Naim app. I can see that Bluetooth codec is AptX, but is there a way to verify it is using the highest codec quality available (EG - AptX HD or AptX Adaptive)?
3. Sound quality is good and "growing on me", likely some degree of brain burn-in over 1st few hours of listening. What are other owners experience about timeline and qualitiative effects of driver burn-in, at least for those who believe in such things!

The bathys do not do aptX HD.

That being said, prior to this update, If you phone doesn't do aptX Adaptive but you have them connected to a device that does and play music from that said device all while having them connected to your phone as a second device, the app on your phone would show aptX Adaptive. Now it just says "no music playing" if it's not playing from the phone.

On my Pixel 7 Pro for example, I will connect using aptX since it doesn't do aptX Adaptive. But then, if I use my KB8P Bluetooth dongle with my laptop let's say, it'll connect using aptX Adaptive. The codec used displayed clearly in the Focal & Naim app in both scenarios (aptX vs aptX Adaptive)

Best way to verify this is to activate developers options on your phone and check directly in there.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #909 of 1,826
The bathys do not do aptX HD.

That being said, prior to this update, If you phone doesn't do aptX Adaptive but you have them connected to a device that does and play music from that said device all while having them connected to your phone as a second device, the app on your phone would show aptX Adaptive. Now it just says "no music playing" if it's not playing from the phone.

On my Pixel 7 Pro for example, I will connect using aptX since it doesn't do aptX Adaptive. But then, if I use my KB8P Bluetooth dongle with my laptop let's say, it'll connect using aptX Adaptive. The codec used displayed clearly in the Focal & Naim app in both scenarios (aptX vs aptX Adaptive)

Best way to verify this is to activate developers options on your phone and check directly in there.
Thank you @Toomuch. The nuance is that AptX Adaptive is supposed to be backwards compatible with AptX HD. My DAP (HiBy RS6) supports AptX HD so I'd expect it's connection to Bathys would b 24 / 48. Am I misssing something?
Of interest is that using BT Codec Changer app. it shows only AptX standard available for Bathys when paired with my DAP. My conclusion is that the Bathys cannot utilize it's AtpX Adaptive codec when transmitting source is AptX HD, making me wonder what the claim about backwards compatibility actually means. NP, I think I'll try a PC USB BT dongle with AptX Adaptive and when I want to go wireless with my DAP, I'll have to use my powered BT Audioengine nearfield speakers or my trusty FiiO BTR7 and IEM's.

Ideal solution: A Bathys Firmware update to include AptX HD and LDAC!!!

Other insights / suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #911 of 1,826
Thank you @Toomuch. The nuance is that AptX Adaptive is supposed to be backwards compatible with AptX HD. My DAP (HiBy RS6) supports AptX HD so I'd expect it's connection to Bathys would b 24 / 48. Am I misssing something?

Of interest is that using BT Codec Changer app. it shows only AptX standard available for Bathys when paired with my DAP. My conclusion is that the Bathys cannot utilize it's AtpX Adaptive codec when transmitting source is AptX HD, making me wonder what the claim about backwards compatibility actually means. NP, I think I'll try a PC USB BT dongle with AptX Adaptive and when I want to go wireless with my DAP, I'll have to use my powered BT Audioengine nearfield speakers or my trusty FiiO BTR7 and IEM's.

Ideal solution: A Bathys Firmware update to include AptX HD and LDAC!!!

Other insights / suggestions welcomed!

This is a quote taken from mobilityarena.com:

Note: As Andrew pointed out in the comments, the backwards compatibility is only on the transmitter side and not on the headset side. So, an aptX Adaptive mobile can support an aptX HD/LL headset. An aptX HD phone cannot send aptX HD to an aptX Adaptive [only] headset. If the headset does not also have aptX HD, the audio quality defaults to aptX Classic.
https://mobilityarena.com/aptx-adaptive-phones-best-audio-quality/

As I mentioned earlier, the headset needs to explicitly state that it supports aptX-HD in order to receive that codec and the Bathys don't.
Also the transmitter (DAP) has to do AptX-Adaptive for the Bathys to connect that way, if the DAP is only AptX-HD then it'll downgrade to regular 16bit Aptx with the Bathys. It's the transmitter that adapts and not the headphones.

You might need to purchase a BT Dongle that does aptX-Adaptive and connect it on your DAP which will then recognize it as a USB wired headset.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329-064536.png
    Screenshot_20230329-064536.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #912 of 1,826
bathys runs aptx HD or LDAC? or what is better? sound better? or simply easy use?
Neither, it runs AptX Adaptive as best codec. So with an AptX HD source it will default to standard 16 bit AptX.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #913 of 1,826
This is a quote taken from mobilityarena.com:

Note: As Andrew pointed out in the comments, the backwards compatibility is only on the transmitter side and not on the headset side. So, an aptX Adaptive mobile can support an aptX HD/LL headset. An aptX HD phone cannot send aptX HD to an aptX Adaptive [only] headset. If the headset does not also have aptX HD, the audio quality defaults to aptX Classic.
https://mobilityarena.com/aptx-adaptive-phones-best-audio-quality/

As I mentioned earlier, the headset needs to explicitly state that it supports aptX-HD in order to receive that codec and the Bathys don't.
Also the transmitter (DAP) has to do AptX-Adaptive for the Bathys to connect that way, if the DAP is only AptX-HD then it'll downgrade to regular 16bit Aptx with the Bathys. It's the transmitter that adapts and not the headphones.

You might need to purchase a BT Dongle that does aptX-Adaptive and connect it on your DAP which will then recognize it as a USB wired headset.
I just ordered a BT dongle that does AptX adaptive to use with my PC. Wasn't aware that was an option for my DAP... would I just connect it to the HiBy RS USB type C port using a USB A--> C adapter or can you recommend a USB C specific dongle? Thanks @Toomuch!

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #914 of 1,826
I just ordered a BT dongle that does AptX adaptive to use with my PC. Wasn't aware that was an option for my DAP... would I just connect it to the HiBy RS USB type C port using a USB A--> C adapter or can you recommend a USB C specific dongle? Thanks @Toomuch!
Yes that would do the trick! At this point it would more be what kind of adapter you want (straight, U type adapter or even L type adapter) I would go for the one that fits your needs best. I personally use the adapter that came with my phone and it works flawlessly with my BT dongle.

Make sure your BT adapter goes up to 24-96KHZ (I've heard that the Sennheiser BTD600 is capped at 48khz). I recommend the KB8P that can be ordered directly from Ali Express and can also come bundled with its own USB-A to USB-C adapter! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back